General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New York Times sez mid-life crisis = triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3173946

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: New York Times sez mid-life crisis = triathlon
I had a different take on the article.
I related to it entirely- as if it was describing me.  No, I'm still well below the average salary- but I make a decent professional living- not complaining.

and yes- my mid-life crisis is going along just fine.  Training and competing makes me feel like a million bucks.  When I get faster- it makes me feel like I'm getting younger... sort of.

2010-10-27 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3173946

User image

There are some good points in this article, that I can definitely relate to.  I am 56, used to be a runner, can't do a lot of that anymore because of a bad knee, but gave triathlons a try this year.  Love it.  It is a great way to cross train and compete (against others or just your own PR) in spite of a potential limitation in one discipline.  I am in full agreement with the idea of doing this to "stay young".  That is part of the whole mid-life crisis thing. 

I do think the writer way over-played the macho Alpha male card.  We all know this is a great sport for men and women.  And he also exagerated the cost issue by quoting the guy about the $22K.  Although every new "hobby" seems to be expensive and tris can certainly get very expensive - obviously in a wide range depending on your taste and need to get the best.  I actually appreciate that you can do this at some level without breaking the bank. 

Jim
2010-10-27 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3176400

User image

Veteran
I didn't see any big problems with the article... I actually thought it was a pretty good read. Note that the author did not say that Ironmen spend on average of $22,000 a year on the sport - he was quoting the vice president for sports marketing at K-Swiss (who is likely inclined to inflate numbers to the K-Swiss management so he can keep his job). Also, I really doubt the real source of motiviation for the Goodman guy is not getting chicked - he probably joked about the term and the author decided to spin it (that stuff happens all the time).

Just read it with a grain of salt, and it's not so bad.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New York Times sez mid-life crisis = triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2