General Discussion Race Reports! » Powell3 Sprint Distance Triathlon Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Powell3 Sprint Distance Triathlon Challenge - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Page, Arizona
United States
On Hill Events
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 21m 49s
Overall Rank = 17/167
Age Group = 30-34 M
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Swim
  • 15m 53s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took it easy for the first part, and then pushed a bit harder after rounding the last buoy. Navigation kind of sucked. I found myself wandering toward the center of the triangle each time I looked up. Errgh!
What would you do differently?:

Actually train! I seriously haven't swam in like a year! :) Not bad considering that...
Transition 1
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

This was a really slow transition for me because I chose to walk up the boat ramp instead of running... I was slightly winded after the water and didn't feel very compelled to run up the steep ramp :) But I probably should have after looking at my swim time relative to the others... Oh well.

Run! I can catch my breath while I'm warming up on the bike!
Bike
  • 35m 51s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Gotta keep working on the bike. Should have pushed harder to prove my ability on the bike. Took it way too easy and kept it comfortable. If I would have pushed into the red zone more, I probably could have squeaked out a few more places and a couple miles/hr avg. -- this course is conducive to this because it's a fast descent for the last 5 mi, making it easy to recover before the run.

Push harder! I want to be in the top 5, heck top 1 overall on the bike. I think I could do it with alot of work... Again, not bad considering my level of preparation for this race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

I was proud of myself on this transition. I actually thought to pull my feet out of my bike shoes early and put them on top. That made transition much easier.

I could still be faster. Need to work on making T2 as fast as possible.
Run
  • 24m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Love this run. I wish that I had more willpower to push harder, esp. on the way out. Always manage to find my cruise control on the way back though.

Push through the pain and focus better on the goal at hand! If I really want to be #1, I need to push harder than I've ever pushed before, esp. on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Bask in the glory of my efforts :) Actually, I went over to the trailer we dragged down to Powell and hung out with my family until the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of real incentive/willpower. The incentive to just be comfortable and have fun exceeds my desire to be #1 or do my VERY best, so I just take it easy. Also, my "comfortable" race typically lands me in a pretty good spot, so it makes it that much harder. Even if I'd pushed harder, I wouldn't have been close to overall contention, so it's tough to motivate myself. I need a coach setting expectations, and then I wouldn't want to let them down.

Event comments:

I love this race. I love this area, love the course, despite how far away it is. I think this race is one of my favorites, and I'm not just sayin' that because I had something to do with it's creation :)

Last updated: 2010-10-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:53 | 820 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 24/167
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Wetsuit
Course: Triangular, Counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:51 | 12.4 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 9/167
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Gradual uphill out of the park, followed by a steep, short climb, and then another mild hill, and finishes off with a descent.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:05 | 03.11 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 31/167
Performance: Average
Course: Flat/2-4% climb out for 1.5 mi, followed by a turnaround back down to the finish. Aid station at mile 1 and 2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-26 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: Powell3 Sprint Distance Triathlon Challenge
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Powell3 Sprint Distance Triathlon Challenge Rss Feed