United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 38m 52s
Overall Rank = 498/3362
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/98
Pre-race routine:

I had been sick with what I thought was a sinus infection and a stomach virus. Woke up at 4:30 and ate 1/2 english muffin with almond butter and a banana.
Left the house at 5:30 and arrive in Baltimore at 6:50 to a standstill in traffic. Finally parked the car, hit the porta-john and went to the start line with my teenage daughter.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 3h 38m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start it was so awesome when a armed forces man parachuted smack into the middle of the big city with red smoke streaming from his back.
I planned on running a sub 3:30 today but since I had a sinus infection (and strep throat but I didn't know it at the time) I decided to stay with the 3:40 group until the half if possible and just run a long slow training run to the finish. When we first started running, my legs felt so heavy and tired. This was a feeling I had not experienced since I was sick the year before. I immediatley thought, "ok, you tried it, but it is not your day to do this". I planned on stopping at the half since it was at the Inner Harbor and then I could walk the mile or so to my car. I felt there was no way I could finish today : (Those first couple of miles felt like a brick run, yep, my legs felt like bricks). After mile 4, I started to get comfortable in my stride rate. I felt relaxed but not strong. This feeling continued and before I knew it I was with the 3:40 group. The winds were very strong that day and usually I hate wind. But today it felt good, probably because I had a slight fever and just did not realize it. I ran with the pace group and had no problem and at the half way point I knew I would at least finish the race. Around mile 15 we headed into hills and I kept with the pace no problem. We ran around Lake Monticello from mile 19-21 and I actually felt good. This good feeling continued and around mile 24 we started a gradual down hill and I felt great until mile 25 my 2 black toes started to hurt. "Suck it up" I told myself "You are almost done!"
The crowds at Camden Yards and M and T stadium were amazing and I crossed the finish line in 3:38:52. I felt so happy.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...unless I knew I had strep throat I would not have run.
Post race
Warm down:

I went through the finishers tent and got my heat blanket, medal (which is a beauty for their 10th anniversary), and some water and food. This took about 30 min. Then I went to wait for my daughter at the Ravens stadium and I stretched for about 20 minutes, walked about a mile to my car, and stretched again for another 20 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having strep throat : )

Last updated: 2010-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
03:38:52 | 26.2 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/98
Overall: 498/3362
Performance: Good
Course: This course has a reputation for being hilly but they are not a big deal compared to Western MD. The course starts close to M & T Bank stadium and loops north then south towards the Inner Harbor. The crowds are enormous and fun around mile 9.5 when you first run by the harbor and then again at mile 13.1 at the harbor. Around mile 15 the course runs up hill for a few miles and throughout the course there are many hills that are not too big. Mile 19 to 21 circles around the beautiful Lake Monticello and then back south. The last 3 miles are flat and downhill with the exception of a bridge with a hill. It is a nice cruise toward M & T stadium and Camden yards to the finish line with many fans screaming!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes