General Discussion Race Reports! » Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seaside Park, New Jersey
United States
DQEvents
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 3s
Overall Rank = 1/~300
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove out to Seaside, set up transition
Event warmup:

bike about a mile down the road and come back in sweats, stretch and toy with things in transition, jog through transition
Swim
  • 08m 4s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started a bit wide, but this helped me from getting knocked around. I didn't push terribly hard on this swim
What would you do differently?:

Push harder
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Although I've done it at most of my races this year, I decided not to put the shoes already on the pedals because of the sharp 180 turn a few hundred feet out of transition

Set up my transition closer to bike out; run the line that I picked out when warming up that had not much sand on the boardwalk
Bike
  • 24m 28s
  • 10 miles
  • 24.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Crashed at the turn-around!!! Maybe it was the new bike, I don't know...this was the 2nd in 3 races with the bike. I was into the lead by about mile 4, and I'm not fully confident in my running ability, so I needed to take any chances and just go as hard as possible on the bike. I knew I took it pretty hot into the turn around, but I thought I was in control until about 2/3 of the way around when suddenly I was sliding across the pavement with my bike on top of me. The chain came off partially too, so I got up, covered in blood and sand along the left side of my body, put the chain back on, and managed to get up and go, still in first place, but the guy I had just passed was right behind me, and ultimately a pack of four of us took it the rest of the way into T2. Still a PR on a bike split for me.

Not be a jackass and learn that crashing wastes a lot more time than slowing down a little bit more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Came in extra cautious following my crash, so I was in fourth by about 10 seconds. I fiddled with my Garmin watch a little bit; the auto multisport wasn't set up properly, so I was trying to get it to switch from MPH to min/mile while I was running through T2

Double check my Garmin
Run
  • 18m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 resigned to the fact that I just might not win the race after all, because I'm not super-confident in my running ability. However, I figured that my other lingering goal of a sub-18 5k was possible, and it definitely wouldn't hurt if I wanted to win. I kept looking at my Garmin, trying to hover around 5:40/mi, and I noticed that I was quickly catching up to number 2 and 3 and I would have them by .5 mi. Number 1 took until pretty close to the turnaround to catch. My second mile was definitely the slowest, probably in the neighborhood of 6:05. Being in first was sooooo cool though. People are so supportive!

Push a little harder in mile 2?
Post race
Warm down:

visit EMTs

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my immaculate bike handling abilities

Event comments:

I absolutely LOVE this race. While it would have been nice to have won a race earlier in the season/my career, this one seemed fitting. I've done it now all three years it's been in existence and made dramatic improvements each year both in time and place. DQ is awesome at putting on fun, quality races. This is definitely a race that I'll come back for a fourth.

Last updated: 2010-10-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:04 | 440 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 13/~300
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot full suit
Course: out, parallel to beach, in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:24:28 | 10 miles | 24.52 mile/hr
Overall: 14/~300
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back...flat and straight...magnificent
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:24 | 03.1 miles | 05m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 1/~300
Performance: Good
Course: around the parking lot then just past the mile marker on the bike course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-27 8:39 PM

Subject: Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon Rss Feed