General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Napa Valley Vintage Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-28 10:08 PM

Subject: Napa Valley Vintage Tri

Did anyone run this in 2010 or 2009? Looking for my first 1/2 ironman to do and was leaning towards Vineman, but this one is earlier and a little more low key.

2010-11-11 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3181388

Regular
Subject: RE: Napa Valley Vintage Tri
I have done the sprint in 2008 and 2009 and have signed up for the 70.3 next year. It is very low key and well run. I can at least say there will be shade at this race, at Vineman 70.3 there is no shade for anyone going to the race with you. The swim in Lake Berryessa is very nice. I haven't ridden the half course yet but you should plan on some hills.
2010-11-11 11:18 AM

User image

Vallejo
I have done the all girl tri that Envirosports puts on the last two years (my first tri ever) which is in the same location as the Vintage tri.  Envirosports puts on a very fun and well run event and if they had a oly distance at this venue I would be so happy.  Swimming in Berryessa is nice and clean and it is very scenic up there.  This hills on the sprint distance bike are very easy but I imagine it will get more hilly as you go farther out on the bike...still very pretty.  If you like to camp you can right on the lake so that would cut down on travel time to the site but also many nice places within a short distance in Napa. 
2010-11-22 3:33 PM

New user
Napa
I did the sprint there this year and our church always volunteers at the water station for all the Tri's held out there.

I worked the tri-girl-tri a month or so ago and it waas really fun.

My buddy and I are going to sign up and do the 70.3 on April 30, 2011  It will be my first and his 3 or 4th HIM distance.

I actually live up there and ride the hills all the time for training.  It is a very scenic area that's for sure.  Lived up at the lake the last 10 years now.
2010-12-02 2:38 PM

San Jose, CA
I did both the Napa Valley Vintage and Vineman last year and in my opinion found Napa Valley Vintage to be a much more difficult course.

Napa Valley had a better swim venue, but it was a bit short. I did not like how the shallowness at vineman created a lot of walking, but its a gorgeous venue with the redwoods and low hanging fog.

The Napa Valley bike course is sawtooth profile, you are either going up or down, maybe a few flat sections. Vineman was a much easier bike course, chalk hill was over hyped in my opinion. Also Napa Valley Vintage had some extremely rough sections of road.

The run at Napa Valley is a similar saw tooth profile to its bike, constant up and downs, profile on their website was misleading(not sure if it has been changed). I think both run courses were equally challenging as vineman had lots of hills and you are exposed to the sun the entire way.

As for the race directors I thought both were run very well. I did like the low key feel at Napa, but I also liked the energy at Vineman. The cost of napa valley was a bit cheaper as well I think.

The other thing is weather at Napa Valley is a gamble. This last year was pretty warm, but the year before was raining and cold. Vineman is usually always hot due to its date.

Tough decision, kinda depends what you are looking for in a race cost/timing/weather/difficulty etc. I say do them both and judge for yourself! Good luck and hope you enjoy whichever you choose.
2011-02-07 4:31 PM

Regular
Drove the course this weekend and Berryessa-knoxville roads needs to be paved. I plan to ride it every sunday starting in the next couple of weeks ,if anyone wants to join in let me know. Pope canyon road was a little rough on the hill comming into and exiting the canyon the rest of the ride was nice. The worse hill is going into Pope canyon and comming out of Pope canyon .

2011-02-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3343781

New user
Napa
Let me know when you plan to start riding the course, I need to get my butt moving so I might want to tag a long a few Sundays.

What time were you thinking, I have church there at the corners until about Noon, but could come out right after that.

Keep me posted.
2011-03-10 10:37 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
anybody want to go ride the bike course in the next 3 weeks there? im interested in doing this race! have done many enviornsports races in the past.  great low key feel, minimal but sufficient support/help
2011-03-31 6:23 PM

New user
Napa

Yes hit me up, I am going to start trying to ride up there on Sun. after church with my training partner.

Let me know your plans/schedule.

I live close to there in the Berryessa Highlands actually about 20mins from Oakshores.

2011-04-09 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3424338

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
Cue-Ball - 2011-03-31 4:23 PM

Yes hit me up, I am going to start trying to ride up there on Sun. after church with my training partner.

Let me know your plans/schedule.

I live close to there in the Berryessa Highlands actually about 20mins from Oakshores.

ended not signing up for this race

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Napa Valley Vintage Tri Rss Feed