Team Ortho
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 10s
Overall Rank = 425/1906
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/97
Pre-race routine:

I'm used to getting up at 5AM for races, so getting to sleep in until 6:30 was great. I took a quick shower, snarfed down a bowl of cereal, threw on my gear and drove over to the park.
Event warmup:

Did a few quick pickups and some light stretching. The last 20 minutes was spent waiting in line for the port-o-potties. I just didn't have the heart to let 'er fly in the bushes.
Run
  • 1h 30m 10s
  • 10.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Getting stuck in the port-o-potty line was a blessing. The other runners were nice and thinned out by the time I hit the course. This meant I was passing people through pretty much the entire race. For the first 1/2 of the race, I tried to stay relaxed and keep my splits close to 9:00. I knew that adrenaline would give me a fast 10th mile. So, at the mid-way point when I saw I was on pace to meet my goal, I tried to push miles 6-9 harder.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I ran a good race. My splits were steady and I flew through mile 10. Next time around, I'll just have to keep my average pace just a little faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Uh. Warm down? There was a little walking around to pick up my gear bag and cheer for the 5K runners, but no real warm down to speak of.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As usual, fitness is still my big limiter. I just need to teach my body to run faster. I feel that I'm still getting improving as a runner, so hopefully next year I'll see even faster times.

Event comments:

The course was gorgeous, but fairly easy. There were only 2 minor hills to speak of. I'm not complaining. The flat course led to me beating my goal time.

They changed the course from an out-and-back to a point-to-point starting at Lake Nokomis and finishing at Lake Harriet. They were running a shuttle service back to Nokomis, but with several thousand runners and only a handful of buses, a lot of us ended up waiting close to 2 hours to get a lift. Hopefully, the RDs will learn from this and make improvements for next year.

Last updated: 2010-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:30:10 | 10.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/97
Overall: 0/1906
Performance: Good
9:01; 9:06; 9:12; 9:09; 8:52; 8:57; 9:00; 8:52; 8:53; 8:29; :40 (.10)
Course: One loop around Lake Nokomis, then follow Minnehaha Parkway to Lake Harriet and finish at the band shell.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes