Team Ortho
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 26s
Overall Rank = 703/1394
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 136/292
Pre-race routine:

Wake up: 6:15. Dress, eat oatmeal & juice, poo, putz around, out the door by 7:25. Two Gu chomps (strawberry, with caffeine) about 15-20 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

not much, but a little jogging. Then just bobbing around in the start corral, waiting for the race to start.
("overall" rank is my rank among females)
Run
  • 1h 41m 26s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

When I saw my first splits, I was worried that I was going out too fast, because my training runs had been closer to 11 min. miles. Consciously really tried to slow myself down. Surprised at how good I felt throughout, so I picked up the pace starting in Mile 7 (as can be seen above -- awesome!). Was waiting for the wheels to fall off, but they never did!
Nutrition worked out fine. I had been training on Powerade only (no gels or chews), so I was a little bit worried about getting enough calories during the race. Not every aid station actually had powerade, but I got some twice (and it was kinda strong). Felt fine nutrition-wise.
Tried to run the tangents, too, and I think I did all right, but it was a little tough weaving around all the people.
Saw Matt a BUNCH of times, which was super for my morale and really helped me feel great throughout.
What would you do differently?:

I think Team Ortho could stand to learn from a few things that happened this race, but I am confident that they will. I had a great race, and I feel more confident with my running abilities now. In the future, I'll do more speedwork and keep learning about my pace, but I think that I gave it what I could today, and I feel great about it being my first race of that distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed some food, found Matt (awesome). Put on more clothes, walked back to the car, stretched, ate more, showered, napped :-).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Current fitness level, but I'll work on improving that.

Event comments:

I think that Team Ortho could make some improvements to this race. There were a TON of people, and I don't think they were quite prepared to handle everyone. I heard bad things about the shuttles and having enough post-race stuff. I think that they will learn from it for next year, though.

Last updated: 2010-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:26 | 10 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 136/292
Overall: 292/1394
Performance: Good
Lap data: Mile 1) 10:42.9 2) 10:30.8 3) 10:34.2 4) 11:07.5 (saw Matt here, forgot to hit the button right at the 4 MM) 5) 10:08.7 (short due to 4) 6) 10:25.9 7) 10:09.1 8) 9:56.0 9) 9:10.6 10) 8:46.9
Course: Loop and a half of Lake Nokomis (flat as a pancake), then Minnehaha Parkway over to Lake Harriet, finishing at the bandshell. Few small hills on Minnehaha parkway closer to Lake Harriet, but nothing too big.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?