Ironman
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 05m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/215
Pre-race routine:

The hotel delivered an "Athletes Breakfast Box" at 4AM, so that was nice, and then 1/2 a bar one hour before the race and a gel just before the swim start.
Event warmup:

Stretching and some arm/shoulder work. I was a wuss and didn't do a swim warmup in the water becuase it was windy and cold!
Swim
  • 41m 3s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Navigation was difficult due to the waves, and I was pushed from left to right across the course, which also made it challenging.

To all the other athletes in the race....QUIT BREAST STROKING!
What would you do differently?:

Good swim, I was happy with this one.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

I guess I camped out in transition. I was taking my time to recover a little from the swim, but I didn't think I was in there that long. It did take some time to get my shoes/socks from inbetween the bikes...the transition area wasn't that spacious.

Go faster :)
Bike
  • 2h 45m
  • 55.92 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I powered through the bike very well, but this could be a much faster race if the wind wasn't there. It's still a good course with varying terrain and a couple good climbs, but the relentless wind was what made it most difficult.

Had I know how windy it was going to be I may have left my race wheels at home (but probably not). There were several spots on the course where I had my bike angled into the wind just to stay in a straight line.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I didn't waste much time in T2, but it was a long transition area. The way the racks were set up left limited space to get to your things, but I luckily beat the people next to me back to T2, so I had easier access to my shoes for T2 than T1.
Run
  • 1h 34m
  • 13.05 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This was just a solid run for me, I started at 7:30min/mile pace and gradually increased throughout the course. The long grades and rolling hills played well for me, so despite all the training on the flats of Singapore, I haven't lost my hill running strength.
Nutrition: I only used water on the course and 4 of my own gels (GU Roctane). I didn't not try the Taiwanese sports drink on the bike or run. I think I finally have my nutrition dialed in with my own products, so unnless I'm in really bad shape on a course, I'll stick with my own products.

Nothing...
If I wanted to try to run this faster I would have needed one more gel.
Post race
Event comments:

Travel logisitics were tough to get here and get home, but it was a very well run race. If I do it again, I will fly to Kaoshiung rather than Taipei!

Last updated: 2010-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:03 | 1900 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/215
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
19:38 after the first lap.
Suit: Legal, but didn't use
Course: Double out and back. This course was rough...waves coming across the course from left to right and a strong current. The wind blowing with the waves created a constant spray of water across the course. This was one of the toughest swims I have done in a racee.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:00 | 55.92 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 1:12:30 Lap 2: 1:12:30
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Windy...Strong headwind/crosswinds throughout the course, it was a very tough bike ride. Two Loop course around southern taiwan.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:34:00 | 13.05 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Performance:
I didn't really take splits during the run, but I absolutely smoked the final 5k.
Course: Point to Point run with a short out and back at the end. Rolling hills the whole way with aid stations every <2k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes