General Discussion Race Reports! » Haunted Hustle Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Haunted Hustle Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middleton, Wisconsin
United States
Capitol View Events LLC
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 23m 46s
Overall Rank = 233/359
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 42/69
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15am. While the wife got the daughter ready, I had a bowl of Cheerios, some toast with peanut butter, and a couple glasses of water, then packed the car. During the 90-minute drive to the race, we listened to showtunes, and I drank a Bolthouse Farms "Blue Goodness" juice and sipped at a cup of coffee.
Event warmup:

We arrived about 45 minutes before race time. I'm not used to doing just a running race, and it felt very different not having to set up transition. We walked around the area near the start line, checked out the people in costume, used the port-o-lets, and waited for my mom to arrive. Around 7:20 I sipped at some water and ate half a powerbar. When the corrals started filling up, I found the 4:00 pace group and got in line behind them.

Temps were low 40s (way better than the mid-30s they were originally predicting), so I put on some arm warmers with my short-sleeved shirt, and wore another wicking shirt over the top of that. I went with running shorts, a Nike skull cap, and some lightweight running gloves.
Run
  • 4h 23m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I started by following the 4:00 pace group. I had been right on target in my training to finish in about 4 hours, maybe 4:10, and had done my last training 13.1 in under 1:55, so I figured I'd follow them for the first few miles and see how it went. By mile 2 I was warmed up enough that I took off my top layer.

My personal race plan included stopping at each of the aid stations after mile 3 for sport drink, to have them top off my handheld water bottle, and to get a gel every 45 minutes. The pace group wasn't stopping at any stations, so I was having to play catch-up. After mile 6 I stopped trying to catch up and decided just to keep them in sight; after mile 8 or 9 I decided to just let them go, and eased off my pace - I had run an 8:45 half marathon pace in training, but it didn't feel at this point like I could hold onto a 9:09 pace for 26.2 (see "What limited your ability" below). I then decided to just keep a sub-10:00 pace until mile 22, when I promply lost the will to live. I walked a LOT of the last 4 miles, but mustered up enough will to run the last half mile or so. I didn't want my wife, kid, and mother to see me walk across the finish.

My nutrition plan (stopping for a swig of sport drink, carrying my own easily refillable handheld water bottle, and getting a gel every 45 minutes) worked well - I never felt like I was bonking. I just felt like my legs were going to fall off and I wanted to die.

I'm not sure what went on with my shoes (I've worn the same shoes and socks in training before), and I've never had this problem, but I could feel rubbing just behind the knuckle of my big toe starting at about mile 4 or 5. It continued until the upper teens, when I couldn't feel it rubbing anymore so I figured it had resolved itself. Turns out it resolved itself into a giant blister.
What would you do differently?:

Consider more carefully whether I can hold a given pace for a full 26.2. Everybody said "go out easy", and I listened to that advice, but - never having run past 20 miles before - I wasn't quite sure how easy "easy" needed to be. Experience is the best teacher, and I've learned a valuable lesson.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched. Talked about the course with my family. Went and helped myself to some free pizza and locally microbrewed beer, and got a free post-race massage. There were plenty of halloween family activities going on, but I was sore and tired, my 3-year-old was getting crabby, and we all just wanted to go get lunch at the pancake place.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had been training for a half iron (my second) in conjuction with my marathon training by using the FIRST marathon plan and adding in my bike and swim workouts. Since August, I've been running between 30 and 40 miles per week. I had planned in taper weeks before the HIM, but hadn't planned any real recovery after - the week following my HIM, I jumped right back into marathon training and experienced some bad IT band and hamstring/medial knee issues during my long run(13+ miles) that weekend - an issue I had never had before the HIM, and up to that point I was doing long runs of up to 16 miles with very focused interval and tempo runs mid-week. I was able to roll and stretch the IT band and hamstrings during the week, but I continued to experience issues over the next few weeks as the injury threatened to recur. It limited my ability to train, and I wound up basically doing just what I could for running during the week (a few of the weeks it wasn't much - just 20+) and making sure I was rolled out and flexible enough to get my long runs in on the weekend. I did get all my planned long runs in, and my leg issues had fully resolved by the week before the marathon, but I feel like having to ease off during the midweek (over the course of about 4 weeks) to be able to make it to my long run on the weekend limited me.

Event comments:

This was without a doubt one of the best organized and best supported races I've done. Aid stations were incredibly well-stocked and spaced out every 1 to 1.5 miles. There were plenty of port-o-lets along the course. The whole race was halloween themed, so there were lots of folks in costume, but I was a little disappointed that more aid stations weren't themed. Props to the Mile 7 aid station with all the zombies, body parts, and fake blood galore. The video game aid station was cute too, around (i think) mile 13-ish. With a race this well-run on its first year, I can only imagine it will get better for following years. I'm looking foward to doing this event again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-30 12:00 AM
Running
04:23:46 | 26.2 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/69
Overall: 233/359
Performance: Average
Course: The course was very nice - a mix of country, city and residential roads, groomed trails, and boardwalk with good scenery. There were spectators along the course, but not as many as I had expected for a marathon in such a populated area. The front half was fairly flat, with a couple small uphills before mile 7/8. The back half got considerably hillier and, while not a hilly beast, was challenging (for a first-time marathoner, anyway).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-31 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi
Subject: Haunted Hustle Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k

2010-10-31 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3186993

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Haunted Hustle Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k

Great job!  I think that was a stellar first mary

I also think they did a great job on this event...although I gues sI definitly did not pay attention to the aid stations... they were themed??? lol

2010-10-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3186993

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Haunted Hustle Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k
Nice job, especially for a first marathon.  The saying goes the first 20 are easy, then you get the overwhelming urge to call a taxi.   You'll carry this experience into your next one and know exactly what to expect.  Go deal with that IBS now.  I'd recommend ART but maybe you caught it early enough that rest will be sufficient.  Find the cause of it too, it is usually but not always a muscle inbalance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Haunted Hustle Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k Rss Feed