DRC Sports
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 27s
Overall Rank = 33/152
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15, packed my stuff in the car and headed out at 5:00 sharp. Had a banana, hard-boiled egg and a cliff bar while driving. Got a good parking spot in the first lot. Hit the bathroom and got my bike together just before registration opened; Got the end spot on my rack, although I didn't need to rush as the next person didn't show up for at least 30 minutes.
Event warmup:

Put on my wetsuit and did a quick swim out to the first buoy and back.
Swim
  • 07m 40s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started this swim front and center since it was wetsuit legal and I was feeling good. 50 yards into it, I was getting a bit worried because things were starting to get a little crowded. I pushed hard and when I sighted at the first marker buoy, there was nothing but clear water ahead of me (what a strange feeling!). I caught some of the stragglers from the previous wave by the time I rounded the first turn, and then backed off the pace a bit to keep my hear rate from redlining.
What would you do differently?:

This was an excellent swim. I think the course might have been a little bit long. Missed the top swim split for my AG by 4.4 seconds. Boooo.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Bad T1 for me. Wetsuit got stuck on my timing chip and I had to use both hands to get my foot out. I was still breathing pretty hard, and it just felt like everything was going in slow motion. With a transition area this small, there's no excuse for being in there more than a minute.
46/152 OA
4/11 AG

I'm not sure. This was the first time I've had that problem with my wetsuit. I've been considering cutting the legs a bit shorter, which should help to alleviate that problem.
Bike
  • 33m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

It's so nice to start in the first wave and not have to deal with all the novice traffic taking up the whole road. I made it through them all in the first 3 miles, but not without a lot of yelling 'On your left!' to people who were hugging the center line doing 14 mph. Everybody has a right to be out there and I applaud those who are just getting started, but they also need to accept the responsibility of knowing and following the rules.

Otherwise, this was a very good bike. I pushed it just hard enough.

Use plain water or Gatorade in my bottle. I ran out of Gatorade on Friday, so I used some Perpetuem instead. No nutrition problems, but at the effort level I was pushing, it was giving me dry/sticky mouth feeling.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Unremarkable. This is how transitions should go.
28/152 OA
2/11 AG (only 1 second behind the fastest)

The only thing left to do for me to speed up T2 is to get some tri shoes that I can leave on the bike.
Run
  • 24m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm extremely pleased with this run split. It's amazing how much the HIM training helped me here.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and walked back up the run course a bit to wait for Cville.

Event comments:

This officially marks two full years of competing in tri's. My time progression here at the Tri-Cooter:
10/26/08 - 1:21:23
10/25/09 - 1:16:45
10/31/10 - 1:07:27
I also set a new PR for run pace, got my first ever AG hardware at a race where I actually beat someone (previous awards were 2/2, 3/3, etc.), and for the first time ever I beat all of the women.
Alas, now I've set myself a higher standard to live up to, so back to training tomorrow.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:40 | 440 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 28/152
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: Trapezoidal course north from the right side of the beach, west across, then due south back to the swim exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:30 | 12 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 21/152
Wind: None
Course: South along the multiuse trail for about a mile, then winding through the neighborhoods on the southeast side of Inverness. Lots of little ups and downs, but no single hills worth mentioning.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:30 | 03 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 58/152
Course: Straight out and back on the multiuse trail going north from transition (opposite direction of the bike course).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes