Bethel Area Chamber of Commerce
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 54s
Overall Rank = 67/261
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, drove to Bethel. Arrived just after 6. Registered and was handed a giant marker by one of the nice old lady volunteers, who told me to mark my leg and arm. They saw me hesitating, trying to figure out how I was going to write on my own leg and arm, and one of the ladies volunteered to do it for me. She proceeded to write a giant race number that extended from my knee to my ankle, and from my shoulder down over my elbow. I later discovered that nail polish remover does work wonders in taking those numbers off...

Set up my T2 area, and then biked the 4 miles down to the swim start/T1. Set up T1, walked around, ate a banana and a clif bar, waited for the start. My wave was first, which was very nice.
Event warmup:

Short bike ride, couple strokes in the water.
Swim
  • 21m 9s
  • 1093 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out feeling very strong. Rounded the first corner of the triangle very quickly, although I later realized that the first leg of the triangle was the shortest, by far. Was not completely in the back of the pack, which is good for me, and I had some people to draft off. This course had all the buoys to the right, which is great for me, since I tend to pull to the right. I had no problems going off course at all, stayed right on line. Had hoped to beat 20 minutes, but I'll take it, my fastest OW swim yet.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

The time is a pretty close estimate. They counted T1 and T2 in with the bike time in the official results, but this is what I had on my watch. This transition was a little longer than I wanted, but it included a run up some stairs and across a road to the transition area.
Bike
  • 45m 45s
  • 15.6 miles
  • 20.46 mile/hr
Comments:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

My goal was to beat 20 mph for an average, which I did, so I feel good about that. However, I had some water bottle and turning problems. I had a Poland Spring water bottle which did not want to hold its shape, and about three miles in it fell out and to the side of the road. Being the good citizen that I am (and the fact that there were several people around and I was paranoid about getting a penalty for abandoned equipment), I stopped and went back to get it - probably cost me a good 30 seconds. I continued on my merry way, still maintaining sub-3 minute miles. When we came to the in-road turn around, there was a guy right off my back wheel as we came up on the cone. He said, "you're fine, go ahead", so I started to make my turn around the cone. He then cut inside me, sending me wide in my turn. I went onto the shoulder, into the sand, and down I went. I was fine, but my stupid water bottle shot away, and I probably lost another 45 seconds getting put back together and moving again. Started cranking again, and was still holding 20 mph overall. We hit a stretch of very rough road, and three times I caught my water bottle as it was sideways and about to fall out. It finally shot out again, and this time I let it go. I was going about 25 at the time, and it shot into the shoulder, so I wasn't worried about somebody else hitting it. And yes, I drove back later and picked it up.

What would you do differently?:

Use a better water bottle...
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

No real problems.
Run
  • 22m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahh, the run. I live for the run. I was shooting for sub-7 minute miles today, but the course had other ideas. It was mainly off road, going across fields, over roots, through woods, etc. There was one stretch right near the beginning that was so steep and rough it felt like I was mountain climbing - you could almost lean forward and touch the ground ahead. That section was no picnic coming back down either. I felt like I gave it a good effort, and I have to be pretty happy with my overall rankings. Also, I passed 18 people, and was passed by no one.
Post race
Event comments:

Even though I didn't meet all my goals for today, I had a great time. I was smiling all the way home, thinking about how far I've come in the past year. It was one year ago today (I remember because it was the day before my birthday) that I told my wife that I wanted to learn to run, and maybe even do a triathlon. I put on my crappy old sneakers, and went 4 miles, walking for a few minutes every mile, and covered the distance in almost 50 minutes. Today I finished my fourth tri and have done a marathon and multiple other running races. I'm planning on a 1/2 IM in August, a marathon in October, and I'm signed up for Ironman Lake Placid for next year. Life is good.

Last updated: 2005-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:09 | 1093 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/22
Overall: 151/261
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speedsuit Full
Course: Triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:45 | 15.6 miles | 20.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/22
Overall: 77/261
Wind: Little
Course: No big hills, but some steady inclines.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:51 | 03.11 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/22
Overall: 29/261
Course: Mainly off road with a few short stretches on road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-31 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: Maine State Triathlon

2005-07-31 5:01 PM
in reply to: #212101

Champion
Subject: RE: Maine State Triathlon
Wow, great race Rob! Fantastic bike split considering all the drama that was involved with the water bottle and the crash. And your run time is something I can only dream about. Congrats on a nice strong finish and good placing!
2005-07-31 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Jeez, you sure have accomplished a lot in one year!  How did you get that fast??? LOL about the old ladies and the numbers.  You should have taken a pic of that.  Great job and congrats on a very strong race.

Jessica

2005-08-01 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran

Wow rob way to finish a month

2005-08-01 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Wow that's quite an impressive journey you've made in a year.  Thinking sub 7 minute miles??? Excellent job, and thanks for being a good captain for the Lucky Lancers.

Are you doing Timberman as your 1/2 in August?

2005-08-02 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great race! From barely running to sub 7-minute miles in a year! Maybe there is hope for me...

2005-08-07 10:56 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
I did this race also- was kind of a different course- but I had fun doing it- Sounds like you were not only having a great race day but being a model citizen as well....Congrats !!!!
2006-08-07 2:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Excellent job! I competed yesterday too. That run was really something!! I don't know where you were compared to me on the run but did you see the woman that kept popping up in the woods cheering? That was my sister-in-law. She is an x-olympic nordic skier and trained up there so she knew the course.  You have had a great year. Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maine State Triathlon Rss Feed