United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 3s
Overall Rank = 34/194
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:40 (it was nice to sleep in my own bed). Had a breakfast burrito with about 1/4 cup of coffee and a little water. Drove to race site.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching to loosen up. Easy jog back to the truck to drop off my jacket prior to race.
Run
  • 1h 48m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran with KP until mile 8. I was in the zone and it wasn't bad until he took off. :( I wanted to keep on his heels, but he must have been feelin' it big time! I couldn't keep up with him and got pretty tired. I wanted to walk but took it a mile at a time. I was able to push through and finish strong.
What would you do differently?:

Have better long runs in training. Not much else. Very pleased with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Downed 3 bottles of water and then had some gatorade and ate all kinds of snacks.

Went back to finish with Keri who did awesome! She finished so strong I couldn't keep up with her. I am so proud of her!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Miles 9-12 were very mental for me. I was able to do well because I stayed focused and pushed through the mental struggles.

Event comments:

Overall a pretty good inaugural event. It seemed like the whole course was uphill, but that was probably just me. Pretty organized (more than I thought it would be) and plenty of aid stations. It was awesome to have such support. We started a little late, but no big deal.

I didn't mind the caliche (west TX gravel) as much as I thought I would. I DIDN'T like that people were driving on it and kicking up all kinds of dust. A couple of things that bothered me: at mile 12 we had to pass the finish line and run around a parking lot in some uneven dirt. Also, to finish you had to make a turn like 40 yards before the finish line. I like to increase speed and then sprint at the end. I had to slow down to turn then speed up again. That could have been better thought out.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:03 | 13.1 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 12/194
Performance: Good
Course: Through the expo center parking lot, through some neighborhoods out by Diamondback golf course and around the airport. Back up 36 toward the Expo Center.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-01 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Marathon for Miracles

2010-11-01 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3188301

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Marathon for Miracles
Congrats on a great race! 
2010-11-02 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Good write-up CBH.  I also did this race and was good for the first year.  The end of the half ended up short so they had to extend it like that(from what I was told).  It did kind of sucked seeing the finish line and having to run past it!  It was a little hillier than I thought it was going to be.  Oh well, overall it was a fun race and I'll be back next year to do better.

Brian

Edited by BrianAndR 2010-11-02 5:41 PM
2010-11-03 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3191804

User image

Veteran
glad you came to abilene to race this one, Brian.  it sure seemed like the entire course was uphill to me!  overall i think it was a good event and it served a great cause.  i hope this one sticks around abilene for a while.
2010-11-03 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
After fighting the wind, that last hill wiped me out.  It wasn't so much how steep it was as it just felt never-ending.

I grew up in Albany and my brother lives in Abilene(he's in the runners club) so I'm down there quite a bit.  I hope to make it down for the turkey trot this month and want to run the Steamboat half in March again.  Ran Steamboat a couple of years ago...I still hate that hill. Smile
2011-07-05 9:17 PM

User image

Abilene
Thanks for the race report!  I'm going to give it a shot.  I do not consider myself a runner per se, so we'll see how it goes!  Mental prep to one day complete a 70.3 and 140.6!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marathon for Miracles Rss Feed