General Discussion Race Reports! » Fireman's Biathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fireman's Biathlon - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sierra Vista, Arizona
United States
Firemans Biathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 34s
Overall Rank = 11/55
Age Group = M 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had to work a midnight shift the night before, came home from work and grabbed by stuff and went to the event.
Event warmup:

Didn't do much, I rode my bike from home to the start which was about a mile or so, then did a bit of jogging before the race.

I felt like absolute trash the morning of the race, on top of working all night beforehand (the event started about an hour after my usual bedtime) I was coming of my first heavy training week in a long time. It was a recipe for sucking, and surprise surprise.... I sucked.
Run
  • 22m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I never felt strong the entire run. I think I came into transition at about 20th place.
What would you do differently?:

Made the same mistake as my first 5k, although not quite as badly. Went out faster than I should have.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I elected not to clip in my shoes ahead of time, partly because it wasn't an important event, and partly because there was a section of road torn up and under construction a few hundred yards from the transition area. I wasn't confident that I'd be able to get my shoes on and turn the corner over the dirt and rubble in time. I got my running shoes off and bike shore on relatively quickly. Also had a good spot the front row of the transition area - entrance and exit were the same area, being in the back would have cost time. I couldn't get clipped in after I mounted the bike, luckily there wasn't anyone around for me to knock over while I fumbled around.

Need to get more confident with pre-clipping in shoes and getting in them.
Bike
  • 42m 47s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt better after getting on the bike, was able to pass 4 or 5 people over the course, almost rode down one more, but my right calf cramped up with about a mile to go and I had to slow way down.

Given my lack of bike fitness and overall poor feeling for the day the bike went OK.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode for a minute or two after the finish to regain composure, then got my calf massaged out for free at the finish which was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of current training, Scheduling, Coming off a hard training week.

Event comments:

Race was OK, small town event. Seemed there was more competition than most local events in Sierra Vista. Decision to have the bike course cross a construction area some on bare dirt was a bit questionable, but as far as I know nobody wrecked and I only saw one rider with a flat tire so it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Run course also came back on same side of road that bikes were leaving the transition area. I almost hit someone on my way out.

All things considered it was a small event so none of the issues really mattered. I might also be bitter because I had such a lousy day.

Last updated: 2010-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:47 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Bad
Laps were about 7:00, 7:30, 7:30
Course: Relatively flat, a bit uphill over the first mile and a half, downhill after the turnaround. Course was a loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
00:42:47 | 14 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Average
Time includes transition. Official time after subtracting run split.
Wind: Little
Course: Downhill, Uphill, Downhill, Uphill. I think only around 500' elevation change from the highest points to the lowest on the course, hills were long though.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right