General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turbo training and sweat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-03 8:12 AM

Subject: Turbo training and sweat
Hi,

I just bought a turbo trainer on Monday which should be here next week. I've heard some horror stories about damage caused by sweat to bikes.

My bike has a carbon frame so sweat shouldn't do any damage to it, but what components would I need to cover up to ensure I get no corrosion caused by my sweat. Would it really just be my headset area that I need to worry about?

I've done a search for those bike thongs you can get but every online shop over here is out of stock. Not sure if Id really need one, what do you do to minimise sweat damage to components?

Cheers,

Wayne.

2010-11-03 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3192476

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Turbo training and sweat
I sweat a ton. On my bikes. None of them have fallen apart. The absolute worst thing that has happened is 1.) I *Think* it may have killed the battery in my PT head unit a bit quicker than normal. 2.) The inside of the head of my stem bolt rusted a bit... I just replaced it with a TI (Stainless steel would work too) bolt. No issues, especially if you do even remotely routine maintenance on your bike.
2010-11-03 8:18 AM

User image

Use a towel on your handlebars and you won't have an issue.

I had to replace the bearings in the head because the old ones rusted out in about 6 months before I realized I needed something over the bars.

Oh, the amount of air you push towards you makes a world of difference too. Get big fans and as many as you need to keep from dripping sweat and that'll help tons too.
2010-11-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3192491

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I actually picked up a Tac-x bike "thong"  loops over the seat post and velcro's to the aero bars.  Catches a good majority of the sweat before it hits the bike, and covers the buttons on my PT nicely so I can still see the display.

It was pretty cheap and well worth it I think.
2010-11-03 8:25 AM

Thanks for your quick replies. I never even thought of getting a fan as my house is pretty cold this time of year. Going to have a look and see what they have in the local shopping center this evening after work. If I set it up beside me it should blow the sweat clear of the bike completely straight on to the wall, but I don't care about the wall Smile

I might see if I can bodge up something resembling a bike thong also until they get back in stock.

Edited by wayne0308 2010-11-03 8:28 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turbo training and sweat Rss Feed