General Discussion Race Reports! » Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Healdsburg, California
United States
www.runhealdsburg.com
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 14s
Overall Rank = 31/1880
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/120
Pre-race routine:

Stayed up in Santa Rosa the night before. Had dinner at a nice Italian joint in town. Couple of glasses of good wine with dinner. Slept great. Up at 5am. Had some bread with PB&J and gatorade.
Event warmup:

Went to the porta pots. Jumped up and down. Checked in my bag. This is a point to point race and we parked at the start. I should have done a run warm up, but since I was with friends, we just hung out and chatted before sunrise amongst the vineyards at the beautiful Francis Ford Coppola winery.
Run
  • 1h 31m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I did pretty good. I can run a half marathon faster I think with my current fitness but I heading into it I had a lot going on and I knew my training was decent but just didn't put the time into actually thinking about doing this race, just sort of did it. A couple days before I just thought about running it all easy/with friends. I even thought I might do that while waiting for the start.

The mile markers were all over the pace as I felt I was running a pretty even pace, yet miles were clicking off at 5:30 and 7:45. I had a few low spots around mile 7-8 but by 10 I was feeling good again and I ran the last 5k better and faster than I have in any of my other half marathons.
What would you do differently?:

psych myself up a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

There was a music and wine tasting festival at the end of the race. I put on some warm clothes after getting my stuff from the bag check, got my tasting glass and started drinking lots of wine.

Some people had issues with a bit of a wait for the shuttles back to the start and various other locations. We did wait a while. But I had a good buzz going and was with some great friends so it didn't bother me much.

The next day I wasn't too sore...which means that I didn't quite leave it all out there on the course!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The scenery! Lack of focus.

Event comments:

a-ok.

Last updated: 2010-07-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:31:14 | 13.1 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/120
Overall: 31/1880
Performance:
Course: Rolling terrain through the Alexander and Dry Creek Valleys of Sonoma County wine country. Course passes through 22 wineries. Couple of nice bridges, too. Amazing scenery!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-11-04 10:01 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon Rss Feed