United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 39m 42s
Overall Rank = 596/900
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 73/88
Pre-race routine:

This race was the culmination of not just a focused training regiment but also the support of my wife and two kids over the past 18 weeks, so I'll do my best to incorporate their experiences as well.

I picked the Indy Marathon as a goal several months back, primarily because of sentimental reasons. It happens to be the last marathon my Dad ever ran (oh, and BTW, he finished in 4:04 at age 58), so I figured it made sense for it to be my first.

And in an effort to get Jack and Ben engaged, I asked them if they wanted to sign up for the kids 1 mile run. They agreed, and then I found out that if they each logged 25 miles leading up to the race, they would qualify for their own medals. What a great concept.

So for the last several weeks, while I've been building up to 40+ miles per week, Steph and I have encouraged them to run a half mile or more several days each week. Discovered they loved running on the treadmill if I agreed to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii for their entertainment. :)

Took a half day on Friday, packed up the car and the kids and drove up to Indy. We found our way to the expo, and the kids marched proudly in ready to hand over their training logs and receive their bibs. We walked around the expo briefly, even getting a demonstration of "the stick", but had a dinner date so we kind of rushed through.

Decided to do the traditional pasta dinner. Sure it's a myth (right?) but who cares!! We met Heather (Steph's aunt/cousin) and Brent at Bucca di Beppo on Indy's northeast side. Had a terrific time and even though it was a day early, Ben was rewarded with a birthday brownie sundae and a candelabra(?). Not to be outdone, Jack ordered some chocolate chip cannelloni.

Then headed to Heather and Brent's where we got everything ready, pinned on the numbers, took some sleeping pills, and went to bed. Actually had a decent night's sleep. Was first up and headed upstairs to make myself a peanut butter and honey bagel. And burned the pop tarts for the kids.

Steph woke Ben up with a sweet "Happy Birthday", then we got everyone ready and were on our way by 6:45.

Event warmup:

Lucked into a terrific parking spot, then had to figure out what to do next. It was cold, that's for sure ... about 37 degrees. Decided to start heading to the start line, which ended up being a good idea. You could hear the usual pre-race music blasting and I could see the kids were just soaking it in. Made our way across the lawn to the coffee tent where we got Steph a coffee and the kids hot chocolates. Their race wasn't scheduled to start until 12:45, so we knew it would be an effort just to keep them happy that long.

Made our way over to the "lunch tent" where runners were gathering. With no breeze and the building body heat of everyone inside, it wasn't too bad. Sound down next to a nice couple. He was running his first marathon and she was running her first half. Said she was tired of being on the sidelines at these things. :)

Took a few sips of Steph's coffee and decided to go do some business. Perfect timing. Line was 1 deep when I went in, 15 deep when I came out (and NO, I wasn't in there THAT long).

Kids got a big kick out of some guy dressed up as some kind of weird demon boy. So we called him Demon Boy. Then their Uncle Barry showed up (what a great brother) and they made sure to first show him Demon Boy.

The sun was now fully up and it was clearly going to be a gorgeous day. We left the tent around 8:15 and made our way towards the starting corrals. I received four terrific good luck hugs and entered the corral with 6000 of my closest friends.

As usual, the gun went off but the crowd didn't move. I made slow motion running poses which made Steph smile. Then we started moving, but slow enough that Steph, Barry, and the boys ran up ahead, just past the start.

And then, all of a sudden, the start line was there and this 26.2 mile journey was about to begin. Hit "start" on the watch, gave high fives to the boys, and was off.

Run
  • 4h 39m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

With all the weaving in and out during that first mile, it ticked off at 10:30. I thought, "Man, I've got to make that up."

What a dumb thing to be thinking.

I tried to balance the following: maintaing a reasonable pace, appreciating the beauty of the park, and keeping an eye out for an empty porta potty.

The next three miles went by quickly, and I was excited because Steph, Barry, and the kids were going to be watching for me at around 4.5 miles. Sure enough, as I'm heading up 56th Street, I see the four of them. Funny thing was I could tell they couldn't see me at all. It wasn't until I was literally 10 feet away that I finally got their attention. A quick high five from Jack and I was back running.

The family now had a window of opportunity between 4.5 miles and when they could see me next, at around 12.5 miles, and boy did they take advantage of it. They walked two blocks down and ... walked into iHop for some breakfast. They were seated in less than 15 minutes, and 15 minutes after that were enjoying eggs, pancakes, waffles, and coffee (at least the adults).

Meanwhile ... back on course ... Miles 4 through 8 clicked off like clockwork. I was feeling really strong (cue: foreshadowing) and was running ~9:45 miles. The course loops and goes out and back so many times I was able to see the race leaders, which was pretty cool. I had also taken my first Gu at 5 miles and had taken the opportunity to go #1.

Just after mile 8, I pulled out my phone and sent the following text to Steph:

"8 miles in. Feeling great so far."

Meanwhile ... back at iHop. Steph receives the text message with a puzzled look and sends the following reply:

"Obviously since you are texting."

Ha - the joke was on her!! A few days earlier I had typed up a few canned messages and had saved them in my drafts folder. Okay, so not all THAT funny, but made me smile.

Back at the restaurant, Steph knew that meant only about 40 minutes until I'd be passing back by, so she hurried things up. The waitress wouldn't have it though, insisting that Ben get his birthday treat. (I think next year Ben's just going to ask us to go out for each meal all weekend so he can rake in the treats.) But the waitress was great, putting his ice cream in a to-go container, giving Jack a sympathy yogurt, and pouring fresh coffee in to-go cups for Steph and Barry.

And like a whirlwind, they were out the door and headed up Post Rd to try to see me coming by. Literally, no sooner than they reach 59th did see me coming 'round the bend.

I was elated. I wasn't sure they would make it in time, and to see them there in the distance, waving their hands and cheering like banshees, gave me a boost of energy. Steph asked how I was feeling and I said something about my knee (right) that was hurting, which it was. I got a hug from Ben, and Jack looked like he wanted to run with me, but all of sudden I was past them and headed towards the halfway point.

Apparently, this was a huge blow for Jack (the not running with me part), who was not much fun to be around for the next hour or so. In hindsight, I'm thinking, "Why didn't I slow down? Why didn't I realize what he wanted?"

And of course, the boys still had two hours until their race started. So let me say this unequivocally: I love and Steph and Barry for many reasons, not the least which was their ability and willingness to spend that two hours in (relatively) good spirits.

Back on course: The marathon split from the half just past where I saw the family. Yes, it's kind of depressing when the flood of people turn left, and just a trickle stay straight.

But darn it, I was still feeling good. Sure my right knee had a dull ache, which I was stubbornly attributing to the demonstration of "the stick" on my IT band the night before (couldn't have been going too fast on that long downhill, right?) And sure I was just starting to feel a cramp in my left calf (What the hell?), but I had just taken another Gu at mile 10, and was religiously drinking water and/or Gatorade at each stop ... and the pace was still steady.

Miles 14 through 24 take runners on a long out and back along Fall Creek. The temperature was starting to rise and the crowd support was beginning to wane. I switched the MP3 to another podcast (TAL, I think), and just plowed ahead.

But then I began to find myself walking longer and longer when stopping for water, and I knew things were beginning to slip. I took a third Gu at mile 15, hoping it would help.

Then I saw Jason L, an old work buddy from when I was living in the area, and more importantly the guy I ran my first half marathon with several years ago. That was a big pick me up.

And then, all of sudden, the turnaround (mile 19) came into view. I got out my phone to send the canned text. The original text said:

"Just reached the turn around (mile 19). The hardest stretch is still ahead of me. Feeling strong."

I revised it by deleting the "Feeling strong" part.

I heard my phone ding twice, meaning I had received two replies from Steph. I figured I still had a bit of energy from reaching the turn around, so I decided to hold off on reading them for a bit.

I reached mile 20, and could feel things starting to fall apart a bit. Looking around, I saw several people in worse shape, but I wasn't sure that was reasurring. I took the Carb-Boom gel they had handed out on course, but now the stomach wasn't feeling all that great.

I knew the next 6 miles would be a struggle, perhaps more mentally than physically and I was determined to just keep moving forward. I took a moment to look at the texts:

"We love you baby"
"You can do it!!!! Stay strong"

Man, did I need that. What were 2:1 run walk breaks extend to 3:1, and eventually to 4:1 or more. In the end, I just decided that I would run for as long as felt I could, and then walk for no more than 30 seconds.

I made progress like that for the next hour. In that hour the knee pain went away, and the constant near cramp in my calf abated as well. I received the last text from Steph at 12:43:

"Boys are starting"

Well, knowing I was still about 2 miles way, I realized I wouldn't be finishing with them, but was okay knowing they would be there at the finish.

Meanwhile, at the kids starting line: I had told the boys time after time after time after time after time (you get the point): "Don't start out sprinting, even though a lot of other kids will". Their Uncle Barry even reiterated that point before the start. So what does Jack do?

Sprint.

Oh well ... They sprinted, they jogged, they even walked a bit, but they had fun. And when they crossed the finish line they each received a medal in recognition of their 26 total miles (training + race). Then the whole family headed up the course a bit to see me in.

Mile 25 is one long, gradual uphill. I walked a bit of it, but not has much as I had thought I would. We were back in the park and I knew the finish line was getting closer. As I passed the marker, I sent my last canned text:

"Just passed mile 25!!! Finish line here I come!"

I took some time to edit to include "(slowly)" at the end.

I had just passed the mile 26 marker when I heard them, even before I saw them (at that point, was getting a bit fuzzy mentally).

And then they came into focus and all the pain just magically slipped away. Ben ran out and gave me a hug. I asked him how his race went and he said, in his normally nonchalant way, "Good".

With the finish line in sight, I was there, running with my boys, which was all Jack had wanted anyway, remember? Then I thought, "why run side-by-side when we can run hand-in-hand??"

So grabbed their hands and with ear to ear smiles we made our way in. Although fuzzy mentally, I can still make out what the announcer said:

"And here comes #1721, Jeff Rochford, from Elizabethtown, Kentucky."

"And he is NOT ALONE"

And then we crossed the finish line and it was over. I was a marathoner.

I was certainly emotional crossing the line, but fatigued enough that it probably didn't come across that way. Pushing back some tears writing this now, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Received my medal, and the boys and I made our way out. Then Jack asked me if he could have a "space blanket". So I said, "Sure" and asked for one from a volunteer. He ended up using it the whole way home. :)

Then I told the boys I was jealous because their medals were gold and had different colors on them. Jack agreed and wondered why I didn't get a better medal than they did. :)

Heather was there at the finish as well, and she, Barry, and Steph met us just outside the reception area. I know I was still not all there talking to them.

We decided to make our way to the food tent, where the boys and I got some burgers/brats, but all of sudden I just needed to sit down. So I did. The boys ate, but I was nowhere close to feeling ready for food.

After a while, with some help from Heather, I stood up and we started making our way to the cars. The legs were already sore, and particularly the tops of my feet, and I silently cursed myself for not bringing some sandals. Oh well, I just ended up riding home barefoot.

I'll end with this - I'm so thankful for having such a loving wife to make this weekend possible. Seeing Steph, Barry, the boys, and Heather near finish will be a lasting memory I will always cherish. I will never forget the look of pride and joy in Steph's face. And I love that Jack and Ben could get so excited about running.

Now, what's next?

Last updated: 2010-04-30 12:00 AM
Running
04:39:42 | 26.2 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/88
Overall: 596/900
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-04 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: Indianapolis Marathon

2010-11-04 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3194804

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: Indianapolis Marathon
Great job on the marathon.  It was wonderful to read the tremendous love and support you received from your family.  Nice RR.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Marathon Rss Feed