Eident Sports Marketing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 57s
Overall Rank = 45/228
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/27
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, get dressed, check in. Not a whole lot to it. Already picked up the packet so everything was ready when I got to the race. Had a little breakfast since there was an hour wait between the Oly start and sprint start.
Event warmup:

Do some dynamic stretching of the legs. Ran around for about 10 minutes. Swam about 25 yards before the start of the swim, then treaded water for a few minutes.
Swim
  • 16m 1s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim felt longer than 750M. That doesn't mean it was, it just felt that way. The water was cold. Someone said it was 70, but it felt more like the mid-60's. Started out feeling good, got a little tired but overall I'm happy. I was more confident with my direction so I could sight less.
What would you do differently?:

Need to draft someone faster! I kept swimming up on the person I was drafting. Eventually I passed him. I could use more open water and drafting practice. I still hold my head too high in open water (like I'm going to see something anyway!).
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Stupid wetsuit!!! I don't usually swim with one if I can avoid it. Couldn't get the zipper down until half way to transition, then felt rushed to get my arms out. Tried to step on the suit to pull it off of my legs but slipped off. Just not good. Ended up costing me a place or two overall. After getting out of the wetsuit things went a little smoother. Long run up hill before the mount line, kind of sucked.

Practice getting out of my wetsuit!!!
Bike
  • 52m
  • 16.1 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I like the bike course but it could have been swept or cleaned better (or at least a little bit!). It took me a little while to recover from the swim so I had a slow start.

Ride FASTER!!!!!!! Would have been nice to ride the course ahead of time but come on, who has that king of time??? I drove it the night before to get an idea of the hills but it's not as good as riding it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Like with T1, the dismount line was pretty far from the transition area. On top of that, my rack spot was on the far side of the area so I had to run with my bike extra far to get to my spot. We had assigned spots so that's just the way it goes.

My T2 time wasn't too bad, not much more I could do differently except run faster with my bike. My T2 time was 45th overall.
Run
  • 26m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't complain too much. The hills were tough and my run is still my weakest event. I'm happy with my time overall. Just wish I could have come in a little faster.

Run faster. Maybe hydrate on the bike a little better. I may have been a little lethargic since I didn't get my normal pre-race nutrition. Or I'm just making up excuses. It's a good split for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Tried to find my wife and dog, got some water. Waited around for the results, shook some hands.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed.

Event comments:

The race was well run. Kind of sucked that they closed transition an hour and fifteen minutes before the start of the sprint racers. I usually drink half of my nutrition before the start and leave the rest on the bike to drink. I didn't have the option this time. Oh well.
The course was tough! Can't complain since everyone had to do the same one.

This race drew a lot of really good competition and was a lot of fun.

Last updated: 2010-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:01 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/27
Overall: 63/228
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot full wetsuit
Course: Triangular course, counterclockwise turns.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:00 | 16.1 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 28/228
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly course for a Tri. Several of the turnarounds were in bad places (at the end of a downhill) and one had a lot of loose gravel too. The course itself was OK but the gravel could be dangerous.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:41 | 03.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/27
Overall: 77/228
Performance: Average
Course: Augh. These hills sucked. Start with a moderate uphill, but later there were two steep uphill sections which just killed me. Ended up walking up parts of both of them since that was the speed I was going anyway. 2 ppl in my AG passed me and I just couldn't catch them. Sucks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-07 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: Amica 19.7 Phoenix

2010-11-08 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3199894

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Amica 19.7 Phoenix
My puppy with his finisher's medal.

(Triathlon 005 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Triathlon 005 (Small).jpg (75KB - 8 downloads)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Amica 19.7 Phoenix Rss Feed