Premier Event Management
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Because this was only my 2nd triathlon and 3rd month training, I haven't really gotten a pre-race routine down-pat yet. I was training 5-6 days a week prior to race week, but I did very little this week in the realm of training, which made me panic the night before the race. In hindsight, it was great for being completely "fresh" for the event, but I think for my own sanity and peace of mind, I'll at least work out 3 or 4 days of race week.
Event warmup:

Pacing, lots of pacing! :) Will work on that, too!

Let me mention this right now...my beloved husband, training partner and best friend for life couldn't make it this morning because he had to work. This would have been his first tri and I know he would have rocked!! (But I would have still kicked his ass in the swim ;) )
Love you, Baby! Missed you!
Swim
  • 21h 47m
  • 750 meters
  • 2h 54m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since this was my first open water race, it's hard to compare it to my training swims. Felt pretty good throughout. Didn't kick or get kicked. Did inadvertently grab a couple butts and feet, but overall not the horror I was expecting. It was pretty fun to speak to my mom afterword and find out how relieved she was to see I'd "made it out alive."
What would you do differently?:

Try harder to pee in the water! :) Will get to that in a minute.
Transition 1
  • 04m 50s
Comments:

Okay, about halfway through the swim, I realized I had to pee pretty bad. Well, what better place to relive your childhood than to pee in the water, right? ;) But as easy as that used to be, I guess mind over matter took over and I physically COULD NOT pee during the swim! I tried while swimming, treading, even on the wade in.
The whole time, I'm thinking of the irony of it all...I was making fun of my friend just this week for peeing during the run of another tri. I thought it was the grossest thing!
This story has already gotten too long, but I finally did pee...during transition before I slipped on shoes and socks. Thank goodness 1. no one was standing nearby, 2. I had my trusty feet-wash water bottle handy, 3. I had the humility to say, aw screw it! So I know exactly how I can improve my T1 time-pee in the water! :)

Go to the porta-potty TWICE!
Bike
  • 1h 17m 51s
  • 20 miles
  • 15.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Tailwind was wonderful! I think I was so caught up in the race initially I didn't realize that the reason I appeared to be flying along was because of that tailwind. I got my wakeup call at the turnaround! It was really inspiring to see the leaders fly past. Got a little more inspired to hunker down and pedal harder.

Beg even harder for a tri bike from my husband! haha!
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Bikes racked too close together when I arrived. Hard to make space for me!
Also forgot my water bottle that I made sure I had ready. Glad there were more than 2 water stations on the run.

Not much
Run
  • 39h 18m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12h 38m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great! Goal was to finish run in less than 40 minutes. Ran with a really nice guy that really reminded me of how we make promises to ourselves just to get to the next mile. He would run 1 minute and walk 1. For all you beginners out there like he and I, making those minute-to-minute promises are sometimes all we've got.

Run more, walk less! Goal for next tri is to run it all, baby!
Post race
Warm down:

Pacing, still pacing! :) Lots of fluids, but didn't have the urge to down a beer like I did for my first tri...gonna have to work on that!;) Didn't feel much like the red beans either...too hot outside.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still have some weight to lose, still very much a newbie.

Event comments:

HOLY CRAP!! I GOT HARDWARE!!!!!! :) I was so surprised I got 3rd in Athena! So glad I swallowed my pride and registered athena. There's nothing wrong with admitting you're 5'3", 162lbs as long as you're getting out there getting it done and not making excuses.
This likely will be the only hardware I ever get, because I won't be an athena much longer, I've already lost 13 lbs and have been totally inspired to lose more.
Mentally, I've never felt better! I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since the starting line. How great is all this!!!! I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!! There was nowhere I'd rather have been yesterday.

On the whole, Abitaman was a good race. Bike portion seemed a bit long.
Didn't like the officials' excuse to eliminate the awards ceremony because of the heat. HEL-LOOO!!! We were just busting our a$$es in that heat! That seemed a pretty bad cop-out. I will definitely be back next year (barring a move out of state)!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
21:47:00 | 750 meters | 2h 54m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: tyr diamondback top and PI tri shorts
Course: Thank goodness for the wooden pilings on the right! Couldn't see the far buoy until I was more than halfway there!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:50
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:51 | 20 miles | 15.41 mile/hr
Performance: Good
2 laps
Wind: Some
Course: Relatively flat, bridge to cross 4 times. Rough going in front of transition. Glad I've ridden there before, so I knew to raise the butt up to not get a crotch-shock.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
39:18:00 | 03.11 miles | 12h 38m 12s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat. Hot, mostly no shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: Abitaman 3

2005-08-01 10:56 AM
in reply to: #212569

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Abitaman 3
Congrats, Laurie, great race, great report! And hardware to boot!
2005-08-01 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

thanks, Bear.

2005-08-01 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

CONGRATS on your hardware!  That is awesome.  I know it can be hard to get out there and try as a newbie and someone who has always struggled with wanting to lose more weight.   You should be very proud of your accomplishment.  I read somewhere that less than 1% of people will complete a triathlon!   We are part of an elite group now

Hope to meet you at a future race?   Are you registered for GirlPower on 8/28?  You would probably love it.  Girl Power on 9/11/04 was my first tri ever and it was so enjoyable.   Maybe we'll see you there?  

2005-08-01 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

thanks. really appreciate the encouragement.  I saw your pics, they came out great! I'm trying to upload more pics of the race, instead of just me, but they won't upload! Mom must have put a special spell on the "me" pics so only they would come out!

I am registered for Girlpower. I am so psyched!! My first tri was Girlpower 5/28/05, so I'm really curious to see the improvements I've made since then.  My goal is to beat my old time, even though the swim and bike are longer.  I just feel like I was a little timid my first time around. Oh, and did I mention I fell off my bike in transition for Girlpower?  That'll knock some time on there! haha

hope to keep in touch over the coming weeks!

2005-08-01 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
This is so cool to read other race reports on a race that I was in.... great job to all who were there

2005-08-01 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sorry we didn't meet up! I tried to listen for your name at the finish, but somehow missed it. I loved your pee story, sitting here smiling at the computer screen trying not to bust out laughing. Look forward to seeing you at more races!!!
2005-08-03 12:27 PM
in reply to: #213245

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Great race report and nice race.  Us BT guys will be there cheering on the women at GirlPower, and envying you all for having your own race.
2005-08-03 5:06 PM
in reply to: #215167

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
My husband wants to race so bad, I keep telling him I'll put a sports bra and a wig on him and he'll blend right in!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Abitaman 3 Rss Feed