Silverman
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 38m 39s
Overall Rank = 94/192
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/34
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race last December and was looking at it as my "A" race for 2010. I went ahead and bought an Aerus Bag to fly with the bike, since all the other races I've done have been within driving distance. Flew out to Las Vegas on Thursday on Southwest. No charge for the bike bag! Put the bike together Friday morning. It came through with no damage, and only took 10-15 minutes to reassemble. Took it out for a 20-minute ride on Friday as a maintenance check and everything was still adjusted properly.

Picked up race packet and checked in on Friday. The whole process was very quick and easy. Went to the race dinner on Friday evening. Food was so-so, but the speakers were great. Frank the RD gave a short talk. Dave Scott talked for a few minutes, and the Operation Rebound guys had about 45-minutes to talk about their program, introduce their athletes, and tell some of their stories. It was a pretty moving experience and made the whole dinner worthwhile! Those guys are a HTFU crew!

Went to the mandatory race briefing on Saturday morning. Frank and the head USAT official gave a short talk, then Dave Scott talked for an hour or so about the course and took a ton of questions from participants. Dave's talk was excellent! Some of the questions were a little goofy, but he's a great speaker and does a good job with questions. You could tell he gets a lot of practice.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up. Jumped into the water about 10-minutes before the gun and tried to keep the nerves under control.
Swim
  • 1h 35m 7s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is a deep water start, but you can stand close to shore if you'd prefer. Water temps were in the upper 60's, and I only saw a couple people in the full race without wet suits. The sun was low on the horizon on the right side on the outbound leg. It was pretty blinding, and I had a light tint in my goggles.

The swim exit is a dock about 2' above the water.....with no ramp or beach. You swim up to it and reach up with both arms. A couple burly guys grab your arms and pull you out of the water. It's not quite as bad as it seems, but it sure is different! As soon as I got a leg swung up onto the dock, my calk cramped and I dropped like a sack of wet cement. Luckily, the cramp went away after a couple seconds.

I saw pretty well for the first 3/4 of the swim, but started to get tired and my stroke went to pieces for the last portion. My sighting was very poor, and I'm pretty sure I swam a snake-like course for most of the race. However, I didn't really do much in the way of serious swim training for this race. I figured my risk of drowning was pretty low with the wet suit on, so I really let the training slide. This was my first IM-distance swim with a wet suit, and I think I should be able to get this time down without too much work!
What would you do differently?:

I think actually learning how to swim might be a start!
Transition 1
  • 07m 30s
Comments:

Remember, this is a small race.....not nearly as many volunteers to help out in the changing tents as one of the big M-dot races. That being said, the volunteers in the tent were really hustling to help repack gear bags and do what they could. I got some help pulling my shirt down, which was a life saver. Weather on race morning was cool, so I wore tri-shorts under the wet suit, but no top. I toweled off and put on a sleeveless tri-top for the bike ride. I had toe covers, sleeves, and leg warmers, but didn't use any of them since it seemed warm enough to go without.

My transition was slow, but my focus was on having a comfortable bike ride and letting my system settle down a little before hitting the first climb right outside of T1.
Bike
  • 7h 03m
  • 112 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming into the race, this course had me scared! I live just north of Houston, and all of my training is on either flats or small rollers. The only bigs hills I've riden have been in HIM races (BSLT & Branson). After a lot of worry, I put both a compact crank and an 11-28 cassette on the bike. This was a life-saver. I was able to spin up all the hills except the 3-Sisters. I had to stand for those....everything else I was comfortable staying in the saddle. I used H3 race wheels, and would use them again. I figured that the wind was bad enough to off-set any weight penalty.

Aid stations were about 10-miles apart, plenty of volunteers and hand-ups. I lived off gatorade hand-ups and two gel flasks. One tip from Dave Scott that I tried was to not eat or drink anything on the bike until after the first climb was over. I followed his recommendation, and it worked out well.

I had driven most the bike course on Friday, so I pretty much knew what to expect (except for the constant head wind and that #&%* bike trail). I didn't think things were too tough until the long climbs after the half-guys turned back. I don't know how long the two big ones were, but they seemed to go on forever.

During his talk on Saturday, Dave Scott said he though the toughest part of the course was actually the bike trail between Lake Las Vegas and Henderson. He said the false flat and the slight headwind can be a little taxing. REALLY DAVE! Slight Headwind? To start with, I think I would have walked the bike up the third sister if there hadn't been a bunch of hecklers at the top of the hill. Then....the rest of that stinking bike trail was both mentally and physically draining. You're so close to town....but the trail just keeps going and going. UGH.

The other big difference between this course and the big M-dot courses is that you're off on your own for large portions of the ride. The solitude and the beauty of the desert mountains are pretty amazing. One thing I'd never seen before is there were a lot of "chase cars" out on the course, where people were leap-frogging ahead of racers to take pictures and encourage them. I thought this was kind of neat! After the half turnaround point, the course opened up enough where I thought there was pleanty of room and people could do this without it getting too dangerous.

My bike leg went very well. I think I rode this course at or close to my current level of fitness. Other than more training, my biggest gain would probably come from losing another 10 or 15 lbs. I didn't seen any sunscreen people at T1, so I went without and got a little burned on my ears and shoulders.
Transition 2
  • 05m 46s
Comments:

Volunteers at T2 took your bike, and located your gear bag. There was almost no help in the changing tent when I went though. It looked like one man and a jr high kid. Luckily I didn't need to do much. Put on some body glide (which I don't usually need help with), socks and changed shoes, then off to run! I did end up having to bag my bike stuff and ask where to leave my bag.

I got a little turned around leaving the changing tent, and wasn't sure wich way to go. I asked a couple people where the run exit was and they didn't know. I took a guess that ended up being correct. While I doubt this cost me any time, it did make me a little nervous
Run
  • 4h 47m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran most of thie course, up til about the 17-mile point, then walked some at the aid stations and a little on some of the up hills. It got dark early (no daylight savings time), so most of my run was in the dark. The aid stations were all excellent...they all had lots of everything. Most had so many volunteers that kids seemed to have a competition going to try and get you to take stuff. I was able to just live off the course....gatorade, water, and a gel every hour.

I had a nice relaxed run up to about mile 17. From that point on, I didn't really have any major aches or pains, but I was getting ready for the day to be over. I made sure my focus was one aid station to the next. Temps were cool and comfortable. I ran the first lap in my sleeveless tri top that I wore on the bike. I'd stashed a long sleeve shirt in my run feed bag that I wore for lap 2. I would have been fine in either, but I'm guessing that people who spent much time walking were a little chilly if they didn't have long sleeves on.

I had a few family members at the race who hung out in The District for most of the run. This was a great spot to see them. They got to watch the runners come through. The District is about a 10-minute walk from the finish if you go straight there. On the run course, it's about a mile and a half.

When I run at night or early mornings, I have some small LED blinkers I wear for visability. They would have been great to have. portions of the course were VERY dark.

Overall, I had a nice relaxed run. I was ready for it to be over, but I could have kept going for a while. I probably could have gone faster, but after the first lap I as feeling pretty good and didn't want to push and blow up!
Post race
Warm down:

Went through the chute. and milled around. Turned in the chip, got the medal, and got a finisher shirt. The family took a few picture, and we milled around a bit. After that we picked up bike & bags, and called it a night!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race was a big improvement over last year's IM-Louisville performance. Faster swim and run. Slower bike, but a MUCH tougher course. At this point, I really need to learn how to swim!. I'm thinking I could also save some serious time if I could get some of those dimpled race wheels.....and maybe really flashy Newton Running Shoes! I was also thinking that a pair of those low-rider tri shorts might not improve my time, but may help me place higher, since I'm pretty sure it would discourage people from wanting to come up behind me and pass!

Event comments:

Coming into Silverman, I had a 15-hour goal, but I was pretty intimidated by the course. In the back of my mind I had some lingering doubts about my ability to finish period, let alone within 15-hours. Instead of 15-hours, I ended up with about a 20-minute IM PR. To PR on such a tough course I'm taking as a sign that my fitness levels are improving. Any time a short paunchy guy like me can finish in the MOP, I'm a happy camper! I'm much less sore than after IM-Lou last year, and am starting to look forward to IM-Texas. I'm confident now I'll break 13-hours in May, and may be able to get close to 12!

The only negative comment I have is that I think the half -distance racers must have cleaned out the shirts. They only had L, XL, and XXL left when I came through the chute. I'm about 175#, and the L is quite a bit too big for me. I sure most of the full distance people walked away with shirts that don't fit them! Kind of a bummer when everything else was so well done!

That being said, Silverman is a tremendous race. Frank and his crew do an excellent job, and the community support is fantastic. Someone at one of the bike aid stations was even offering free lap dances for racers.....you just don't see that kind of support many places! I was almost scared off by the reputation, but you don't have to be a tri-sport wizard to have a good experience at Silverman! MOP/BOP triathletes can have a GREAT EXPERIENCE on this course! If you're thinking about this race....my advice is "JUST DO IT!". Sign up early. It's a bargin!

Last updated: 2009-12-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:35:07 | 4224 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/34
Overall: 166/192
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Long skinny rectangle in Lake Las Vegas.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:30
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:03:00 | 112 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/34
Overall: 80/192
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Extremely challenging bike course. Very few flats on this course. After leaving Lake Las Vegas, the course has an out & back towards Hoover Dam, then an out & back along Lake Mead in the park before returning you to town. Hills on this course are a combination of rollers and LONG but not very steep climbs. Some of the longer climbs are quite a few miles and seem to last forever. I thought the winds were pretty bad. It seemed like we had a head-wind all day long. Except for the section on the bike trail, all the curves were well marked and gentle enough that no breaking was required on any of the downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:47:01 | 26.2 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/34
Overall: 76/192
Course: Two lap course through parts of Henderson. The course is all asphalt or concrete and is well marked, but portions are very dark (if you're slow and have to run at night) and cones and oncoming runners can be difficult to see. This course has a bunch of hills, but other than one or two short sections, all of the hills can almost be described as false flats. They're LONG and noticable, but not quad burners. I'm sure some of them must last a mile or so.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-09 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Silverman - Full Ironman

2010-11-09 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3203644

User image

Subject: RE: Silverman - Full Ironman

Congrats on a great race.

If you PR'd this for 140.6 you will crush the IronMan courses, recover well.

2010-11-09 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3203644

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Silverman - Full Ironman

Great race and a nice RR.  Enjoy some recovery time!  Nice to read with good descriptions from another MOP 40 something.  Silverman is on the hit list for 2012 or 2013.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Full Ironman Rss Feed