General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin Folks - Jack and Adams vs. Austin Tricyclist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-09 6:34 PM

Subject: Austin Folks - Jack and Adams vs. Austin Tricyclist
I have been a pretty loyal J&A customer because I feel like they have better customer service and aren't as snooty. They are more welcoming to the beginner.  AT has a better clothing selection and rents wetsuits so I do go in there from time to time and if Missy is there I think I get pretty good service.  Lately there have been some new hires at J&A that have acted pretty pompous too.  

The fact is, I just don't know a lot cycling and bikes, it is all new to me (about 18 months).  I am aware that I am a complete novice, but I don't like being made to feel stupid.  At the end of the day though, I want the best bike at the best price with the best fit. 

In the next few months I am going to be researching new tri bikes.  I just completed my first HIM on my Felt 7100 with clip on aerobars and it is time for an upgrade.  I went to AT today and it was made pretty clear that they don't think J&A does a good fit, the guys there don't compete, etc..  I was also told I am on a bike that is too small. I have to say I have felt a little crowded lately on my bike since I started upping the miles.

Anyway, my question is...at the end of the day, which shop do you think I will get the best bike and best fit?  If I am going to spend $2-3K on a bike I can take a little snobbery if the person is truly an expert.  I am not interested in buying online or at chain shops.  I like to shop local.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2010-11-09 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3203694

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Austin Folks - Jack and Adams vs. Austin Tricyclist
After 4 years I am going to make the move to add a tri bike as well. When I do, I will buy mine from Nelos. If you have never gone in there you should. Nelo is such a nice guy. The mechanics and sales guys are all super nice too. I also love that they are open at 7:30am. They are on Mesa right off Spicewood.

I know you didn't mention Nelos, but I had to put it out there!!!
2010-11-09 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3203734

MommyBelly - 2010-11-09 6:59 PM After 4 years I am going to make the move to add a tri bike as well. When I do, I will buy mine from Nelos. If you have never gone in there you should. Nelo is such a nice guy. The mechanics and sales guys are all super nice too. I also love that they are open at 7:30am. They are on Mesa right off Spicewood. I know you didn't mention Nelos, but I had to put it out there!!!

I'll at least check it out for sure, thanks for the tip!  I live within a mile of  J&A and AT, so I usually stick with them, but I'll check out that shop next time I go visit my sister up there. 
2010-11-09 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3203755

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I've purchased 3 bikes from Nelo.  He does an awesome job.  Jeremiah used to do the fittings but he and Nelo parted ways a couple years ago.  Jeremiah would ask sublte questions to Nelo, so I know Nelo can do a great fitting.

I've purchased one from Jack & Adams - Zane, who does the fittings, also does an awesome job.

I choose not to spend much money at Austin Tricyclist due to how I've been treated there.  It seems he does not realize my cash spends the same as any elite triathlete.

Regarding Nelo, they sold me a bike that was about $1,000 LESS than the one I wanted because of fit.  Not many retailers talk you down on price solely because there is a better product for your needs.
2010-11-09 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
My vote is for J&A.  Having shopped at both J&A and ATC, I much prefer the J&A peeps and service level.  Zane does an excellent job fitting you and he will spend as much time as necessary to get it right.  Whenever I have been in ATC, I have to search someone out to help me with anything and then I get the 'tude.  No thank you.  I'll take my local bike shop dollars to a shop that is welcoming, has a high level of customer service, and will meet you on your level rather than trying to make you think you need to be more "elite" than you really are/want to be.
2010-11-09 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3203834

Tyrell - 2010-11-09 8:15 PM My vote is for J&A.  Having shopped at both J&A and ATC, I much prefer the J&A peeps and service level.  Zane does an excellent job fitting you and he will spend as much time as necessary to get it right.  Whenever I have been in ATC, I have to search someone out to help me with anything and then I get the 'tude.  No thank you.  I'll take my local bike shop dollars to a shop that is welcoming, has a high level of customer service, and will meet you on your level rather than trying to make you think you need to be more "elite" than you really are/want to be.

I heard Zane left J&A.  I was kind of surprised that they were nice to me at ATC today. Maybe I am cool enough now because I did a HIM?? Missy is always nice, and occasionally you get a nice guy, but I have been ignored or talked down to there many times.  That isn't to say that no one at J&A has been snooty.  Thomas and Drew are always great, Jack seems to be nice enough, overall J&A is a more positive experience. I don't know, the owner at ATC told me he'd fit me on my current bike for free to show that they do a better fit. Maybe I am being suckered, I don't know.

I have back problems and was told by many to make a point to schedule a fit with Zane, but now he is supposedly not there.   I am definitely going to look around, do my research and take my time, which works out just great, since I have to save up anyway  

2010-11-10 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
I used to have the same feeling - that ATC were snooty.  But, that's where I got my P2C and Don took one look at me, modified my bike and it was pretty darn near a perfect fit when I got on.  I was intimidated to go in there for a while, but after renting race wheels and having them change the cassette and getting the bike tuned up, etc. during my IM training, I have come to love the place.  They know who I am when I walk in the door now, so maybe that is key - going in there a lot.  

I shop at J&A some, but there isn't a big selection there and since I bought my P2C at ATC, I only let ATC work on it, so I can't judge the service/maintenance at J&A.

Everybody will feel more comfortable at one place than another.  You need to find where you feel comfortable.  And like someone mentioned, that may be another place all together.  But ANY place should be willing to answer your questions and spend time with you. 
2010-11-15 2:43 PM

User image

I like the folks at J&A, mostly because of their friendly attitudes, and the fact that they have free training groups and put on awesome races (Rookie, Jack's Generic, Austin Tri) Does Austin Tri Cyclist even host any events?

J&A's doesn't have a giant selection of clothing or equipment, but I've never had a bad experience with them. Granted, I've never set foot in ATC, not because of any bad reason, just that I haven't been there yet.

Don't forget Bicycle Sports Shop. They are right there @ Lamar and Barton Springs too (plus several other stores around town), and have a decent selection of tri gear. They sell Trek, Specialized and now Cervelo tri bikes. I've had great support from the BSS folks at their store off 183 and Braker, and one of my tri-training buddies shops at the Parmer and Central stores regularly.

All three of these stores (J&A's, ATC, BSS) rent wetsuits.

Cool

2010-11-15 5:44 PM

New user

Austin, TX
Jack and Adam's win by 1000%.  Their level of service and general knowledge about triathlon is better than any other bike shop in Austin, in Texas, maybe even nationally.  Every now and then you will get a new hire that hasn't quite caught on to their philosophy, but Jack, Drew, Thomas, James, and Angie are all fantastic.  ATC is snotty and BSS are roadies that pretend to care about triathlon.  The only trick to J&A is to avoid the crowd- it's a small shop and people try to pack in on the weekends and there is no way to get the attention you need.  If you are interested in buying a bike, make an appt so they can fit you and loan it to you for the day. 
2010-11-15 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Two years ago, I purchased my Cervelo P2C from ATC. I live in Houston but traveled to Austin to purchase the bike. My experience with ATC was not positive. Prior to switching over to triathlons my main sport was cycling. The treatment that I received from ATC was the same as other posters have alluded to. None of the interactions that I've had with ATC have been favorable.

When I purchased my bicycle, I was under the impression that it was the one that I had special ordered and everything on it was new. Last year I had my bicycle boxed by a Houston area tri shop to take to an out of state race. It was at that time we discovered the seat post had been cut down. I'm 5'8" and have very long legs. There is no way that I would ever cut down my seat post to the size that it is. It never occurred to me to check to make sure the seat post hadn't been cut down or wasn't new. Yes, I probably should have called ATC and tried to get some sort of refund for the seat post. But honestly it wasn't worth dealing with them over it.

This is just my experience with the shop. Perhaps they have changed and you will have a better experience.

Talk to other triathletes and get their feedback on which bicycle they would recommend. Set your price range and research options on the internet. Visit several shops and try out different bikes. Take your time and find the bike that fits your body and riding style. Other triathletes will probably be your best resource to start off with.

Edited by Catwoman 2010-11-15 7:53 PM
2010-11-16 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3211901

GregInAustin - 2010-11-15 2:43 PM

All three of these stores (J&A's, ATC, BSS) rent wetsuits.

Cool

Last time I asked J&A didn't rent wetsuits.

I am not really interested in purchasing a tri bike from a non-tri shop like BSS.  I only go to BSS when they have their giant sale, otherwise I find them to be overpriced and impersonal.

I think I'll start at J&A and test out their bikes.  I am interested in the Cannondale and the Cervelos that I can't buy at J&A.  I did appreciate that Jack was really forthright with me when I asked him why he carried the bikes he did.  He told me where I could find the other brands I was interested in looking at.  Ultimately I'd like to buy at J&A but for such an expensive upgrade and my back issues, I just have to go with who has the right bike for me.  Thank goodness I have months to make a decision since I will have to save up

I've got to say, I respect Jack for not talking trash about ATC, the guys at ATC have no problem bad mouthing other shops.  

2010-11-16 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
CenTex
I've had a different experience than most.  I feel as though I've always received good service at ATC and less than stellar service at J&A.  I have always received better service and support from ATC

I do think that ATC is geared more toward the elite (or serious) triathlete, of which I am neither, and the staff can sometimes can act that way but I've found that if I ask enough questions, I can get what I want. 

I also like the fact that ATC has a much larger selection and carries items for Clydes.  I have purchased multiple bikes from ATC and my wife and nephew have both purchased bikes from them and received good service.

I will 2nd (or 3rd) the mention of Nelo's.  I don't frequent the shop often but have always had a positive experience when I have.

ETA: ATC does have weekend rides but do not "host" races.  They do sponsor some of the larger local races but do not have a race production company as J&A does.  So, it may seem that J&A is more involved in hosting races but that is b/c they have a spin-off production company that puts them on.

Edited by cornchexs 2010-11-16 2:25 PM
2010-11-18 11:11 AM

User image

I will also say that Jack and Adam's knows how to throw a party better than any tri/bike shop in town.

Last night, they had free beer, free pizza, and a free talk by that guy... what was his name...  Oh yea, Chris McCormack! Chris told us how he won the 2010 Ironman World Championship, joked around with lots of the folks there, and was just overall a really cool guy.

It was a really cool event!

Cool
2010-11-19 11:04 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
It's a tough call.  There's no question that Don is very knowledgeable and ATC has a great selection.  He's always been willing to answer my questions when I've been in there and is also pretty forthcoming when he doesn't know the answers.  The problem is that he almost always comes across as if he doesn't really care that you're there.

J&A tends to be much more customer focused with their attitude.  On the other hand, they seem to have a much higher turnover in staff, meaning that I wouldn't rely on getting the same level of knowledge from everyone and the general level will be lower than ATC.  It's also easy to see that they don't have nearly the stock.
2010-11-20 11:47 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
With ATC, I agree that Don often seems like he doesn't care whether your in the store or not, which is somewhat echoed by a lot of the other staff members. However I do think everyone working in that store knows what they're talking about for the most part as I think almost all the employees are active in the racing scene. Missy has always been helpful and since I'm in there quite a bit the other guys on staff are usually pretty nice.

At J&A the staff does overall seem friendlier, but more of the employees don't actually participate in triathlons. I know i've overheard more than one salesperson mention this while working with customers. There seems to be a bit more overturn with the staff which has it's positives and negatives.

I say shop where you like, and shop at the store than carries the products you want. Above everything else I think it's great that we even have two tri shops to choose from when most people don't even have one.
2010-11-22 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3219887

User image

Expert
CenTex
F1longhorn - 2010-11-20 11:47 PM With ATC, I agree that Don often seems like he doesn't care whether your in the store or not, which is somewhat echoed by a lot of the other staff members. However I do think everyone working in that store knows what they're talking about for the most part as I think almost all the employees are active in the racing scene. Missy has always been helpful and since I'm in there quite a bit the other guys on staff are usually pretty nice.

At J&A the staff does overall seem friendlier, but more of the employees don't actually participate in triathlons. I know i've overheard more than one salesperson mention this while working with customers. There seems to be a bit more overturn with the staff which has it's positives and negatives.

I say shop where you like, and shop at the store than carries the products you want. Above everything else I think it's great that we even have two tri shops to choose from when most people don't even have one.

Winner!

2010-12-15 12:01 AM

New user

austin
Im a new member here but I wanted to chime in on whether to buy from ATC or J&A's and I personally prefer Jack&Adams because Im a triathlete in training and at first I thought ATC was a lil mom and pop place and would have better service but I purchased my FELT roadbike from a friend who bought from Jacks so I figured id check out the store and I was amazed on the friendly service I received from the moment i stepped in and clearly they could tell i wasnt an elite athlete but answered all my questions so when it was time to purchase my cycling gear I went with the J&A cycling jersey to show my support of the local business that helped me and continues to help me in my training towards triathlons... I probably go there like 2x a week and I gotta be honest with you they seem to remember me which is awesome. one of the guys remembered where i worked and if I had bought tri shorts/top yet and i told him i was getting a bonus and wanted a TT bike and he knew I hadnt even done 1 tri yet and suggested I just use my road bike for now to make sure i like doing tri's whether i listen or not is different but i never feel pressured to buy when i go there and will continue to shop there for all my cycling and triathlon needs..
#GoLocal
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin Folks - Jack and Adams vs. Austin Tricyclist Rss Feed