Team Magic
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 11s
Overall Rank = 65/165
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/25
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast (2 muffins and yogurt), got to the race site and set up my transition area, got body-marked, etc.
Event warmup:

Stretching
Slowly jogged 1/2 mile
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I realy struggled on the swim. I do not know what happened. I was fine for the first lap (100 yards), and in the middle of the second lap, I lost it. I got a big mouthful of water at some point, and could not catch my breath after that point. I somehow managed to finish the swim, but I was very short of breath and my heart rate was very high getting out of the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Stay calm and concentrate on my breathing. I need LOTS of work on my swimming before my next tri...
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I could have made it through T1 a little faster, but I felt really bad getting out of the pool. I had to sit down for a few seconds to calm myself down and prepare for the bike course.
Bike
  • 57m 11s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 17.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really bad on the first 2 miles of the bike. My left calf began twitching and I could feel a cramp coming on. I was also starting to feel nauseous. I was going to take a gel around mile 8 or so, but ending up eating it at about mile 5. I choked it down and immediately started feeling better. I started to push my pace a little at this point. I could have done the bike leg a little faster, but I wanted to save my legs. I had to make sure I finished my first triathlon! There were a couple of good hills, and I attacked them pretty well I think. The road became very rough at about mile 13. Other than that, it was a great bike course, and I am happy with my performance.

Push a little harder, especially on the hills. I know what to expect from my body for next time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

T2 took a little longer than I wanted it to. I did not ride with socks on the bike, but I had to take time to put on socks for the run. This slowed me down quite a bit. Other than that, this transition was pretty smooth.

Learn to run without needing socks.
Run
  • 26m 25s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good coming off the bike. The bricks I had done in training definitely helped me. I did take it fairly slow on the first mile, and was able to push a little bit harder towards the end of the race. There were two fairly big hills on the run, but they did not bother me too bad. After coming up the last hill, I was able to sprint the last 30 seconds or so to the finish line to put on a good show for the wife and kids!

Run faster. After the race, I felt like I could have made it in less than 25 minutes. I am happy with my time, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, and got some bananas and chips.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Feeling bad on the swim, and not knowing what to expect from my body in my first race. I did not want to push too hard too early and leave nothing for the finish line. I now know what to do next time.

Event comments:

Team-Magic puts on a first class event. The race was very well organized, and I had a blast! The courses were well staffed by volunteers guiding the way, and everyone was very helpful and friendly. I am looking forward to coming back next year!

Last updated: 2005-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 300 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 109/165
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: 6 lengths in a 50 yard outdoor pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:11 | 16.5 miles | 17.31 mile/hr
Overall: 53/165
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Beautiful rolling 16.5 mile loop around the park. Roads were terrible from mile 13 to mile 16.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:25 | 03 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 60/165
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on state park roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 2:30 PM

User image

Muscle Shoals, AL
Subject: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

2005-08-01 9:50 PM
in reply to: #212927

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

Great race Triathlete!!

Super first race...glad you are hooked....nice recovery from a tough swim....you regained your composure and off you went for a fast bike and great run!!

When is your next one?

2005-08-02 11:43 AM
in reply to: #212927

User image

Muscle Shoals, AL
Subject: RE: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon
I am running a 5k this Saturday, and I am thinking about doing the Frantic Frog Triathlon in Scottsboro, AL on September 10 (400m/swim, 20k/bike, 5k/run). I am training for my first marathon, which will be on December 10 in Huntsville, AL (Rocket City Marathon). I will just have to see how that tri could fit into my schedule without hindering my progress. I don't want to overdo it and blow my chances to do the marathon, but I loved doing this first tri and want to get back out there ASAP!!!

Edited by sabaka 2005-08-02 11:44 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon Rss Feed