General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strategy for pacing the bike on hills; overdoing it on the uphills! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-11-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3208524

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Strategy for pacing the bike on hills; overdoing it on the uphills!
Fastyellow - 2010-11-12 2:48 PM

disturbed - 2010-11-12 11:31 AM
what if there are hills that are so brutal, you are almost using your all JUST to make it to the top and not fall over? or is that more of an issue of fatigue from burning up on previous hills?

You very rarely see this in a tri....they are out there, but very rare.

Sign up for the Triple T in Ohio and you can see countless types of these hills. Both on the run and bike for 3 days straight!

2010-11-12 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3208524

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Strategy for pacing the bike on hills; overdoing it on the uphills!

Fastyellow - 2010-11-12 11:48 AM
what if there are hills that are so brutal, you are almost using your all JUST to make it to the top and not fall over? or is that more of an issue of fatigue from burning up on previous hills?

Additionally, you should try to find training hills that are similar in length and grade to your target race.  That is where you can practice your pacing and recovery whether you train by RPE, HR or power.

(Edited to fix my spelling.)

Edited by owl_girl 2010-11-12 2:16 PM
2010-11-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3208579

Master
, California
tjfry - 2010-11-12 12:00 PM
Fastyellow - 2010-11-12 1:48 PM

Agree. Do they still ride up the beast in St. Croix? I remember watching that race as a kid and only about half the pro men could ride the entire way up and maybe 1 female. Watching pros walk their bikes up a hill was kinda cool. Sorry for the hijack

Yep it's still going strong - and is one of the few 70.3s that still has KQ slots.  I've watched video of people weaving side to side as they climb parts of that.  They have the grade percentages chalked on the pavement as the climb proceeds
2010-11-12 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3208618

User image

Regular
its hard to say as a newbie if the hills (one hill in particular) iv hit, is anything special but its prob a good mile+ long of constant grade, seems like eternity getting to top lol
2010-11-12 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3208483

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
tjfry - 2010-11-12 1:31 PM
AndrewMT - 2010-11-12 10:48 AM
tjfry - 2010-11-12 10:43 AM Power combined with HR I think is an exceptional way to train/race.

Great input TJ, but I can't agree with that last statement.  Trying to use both Power and HR seems like a really bad idea to me.  I've always believed that you choose one or the other, but never use both.

I am certainly curious as to why. HR is a measure of stress on the body. Power, like pace or speed, is just an output. Granted, it's more precise and detailed, it's still just an output. I think the two go hand in hand. Measure the stress on your body (whether you use HR or RPE) against a particular output. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Sorry to disappear for a bit.  Once and a while I actually have to do my job!

Anyway, the way I see it is that at best, the two data sources are redundant.  At worst, you get conflicting information. 

In perfect conditions my power and HR zones may be aligned, but what do I do when my HR is a bit skewed due to the dozens of things that can impact HR?  Which one do you follow?  It may be a hot day or I may be a little dehydrated, which would make my HR a little higher on average.  In that situation, I would want to still stick to my targeted power goals, but my HR would be telling me that I'm pushing too hard.  Or I'm getting sick and I decide to stick to my HR zones and I don't hit any of my power targets.  In either case, what's the benefit of having both?

I like to look at my HR data after a ride, but during, I could care less. 

Now, can you pleeeeeaaase teach me to swim?
2010-11-12 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3208834

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
AndrewMT - 2010-11-12 4:04 PM
tjfry - 2010-11-12 10:43 AM Power combined with HR I think is an exceptional way to train/race.

Great input TJ, but I can't agree with that last statement.  Trying to use both Power and HR seems like a really bad idea to me.  I've always believed that you choose one or the other, but never use both.

I am certainly curious as to why. HR is a measure of stress on the body. Power, like pace or speed, is just an output. Granted, it's more precise and detailed, it's still just an output. I think the two go hand in hand. Measure the stress on your body (whether you use HR or RPE) against a particular output. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Anyway, the way I see it is that at best, the two data sources are redundant.  At worst, you get conflicting information. 

In perfect conditions my power and HR zones may be aligned, but what do I do when my HR is a bit skewed due to the dozens of things that can impact HR?  Which one do you follow?  It may be a hot day or I may be a little dehydrated, which would make my HR a little higher on average.  In that situation, I would want to still stick to my targeted power goals, but my HR would be telling me that I'm pushing too hard.  Or I'm getting sick and I decide to stick to my HR zones and I don't hit any of my power targets.  In either case, what's the benefit of having both?

We look at things at opposite sides of the mirror I guess. When I see my pace and HR not lining up as they should I immediately look to causes. It's not unlike training at altitude. Sometimes you let the hr go, but realize why it's doing what it does. other times, hr rules the world. If you scrap your hr on race day b/c its too high, then you are doing exactly what you suggested to everyone not to do, and that's going too hard when you shouldn't. That's why I think they are great together. One is a measure of what your body is dealing with (effort, heat, sickness, dehydration, whatever) and the other is what your body is producing in absolute terms (power, pace, etc.) the two together tell you gobs about your ability that day.
my 2 cents anyway

happy to fix your swim anytime!!

2010-11-12 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3209046

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
tjfry - 2010-11-12 7:33 PM
AndrewMT - 2010-11-12 4:04 PM

We look at things at opposite sides of the mirror I guess. When I see my pace and HR not lining up as they should I immediately look to causes. It's not unlike training at altitude. Sometimes you let the hr go, but realize why it's doing what it does. other times, hr rules the world. If you scrap your hr on race day b/c its too high, then you are doing exactly what you suggested to everyone not to do, and that's going too hard when you shouldn't. That's why I think they are great together. One is a measure of what your body is dealing with (effort, heat, sickness, dehydration, whatever) and the other is what your body is producing in absolute terms (power, pace, etc.) the two together tell you gobs about your ability that day.
my 2 cents anyway

happy to fix your swim anytime!!

I hear what you're saying, especially on race day.  It just requires the 'user' to have a good knowledge of their body and how the different metrics reflect what's going on.  Personally, when it comes to training, I like to keep it simple!
2010-11-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3207771

User image

Master
Central Indiana
A bit OT, but here's another take on HR vs Power training question (with a few references)-

http://www.bicyclepaper.com/articles/2009/05/training__heart_rate_vs_power

Even in the era of PM's, PE still matters a lot.  As Merckx said about improving climbing performance & technology- don't ride upgrades, ride up grades.  Regardless of technology it is up to the individual endurance athlete to gain the experience/training to know how much they can (or cannot) push the steeper hills for best performance on a given day.  It's all fine to discuss Vi ~1, but that goal is tough on a tough hilly course.  Most of us do not have the discipline to throttle back to 5mph (or less) on a 12% grade (~220W assuming 150#cyclist w/19# bike).
2010-11-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3208408

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
sand101 - 2010-11-12 1:46 PM
crmorton - 2010-11-12 8:40 AM

In Muskoka 70.3, I even started chatting with a group of guys around me (who were all going steady power), I shouted to one of them "Am I doing something wrong here?" as I passed by him on another uphill. We passed back and forth for about 40km, then I never saw him again (in this case we hit a stretch of brutal rollers, and I pulled away since he didn't have extra time to catch up).

Couldn't there be another reason for this?  You look like a thin, light guy. Speed on the uphills is controlled by W/kg (light guys rule) and that speed in the straights and downhills is controlled by W/frontal area (which doesn't vary as much).   It could have been that the guy was bigger and output more raw power but you had him on W/kg.  Does that sound right?

I disappeared for a while, not sure if this poster is still hanging around the thread. I do attribute some portion of my speed on hills to my relatively light weight. Height to weight ratio in lbs and inches is 151lbs/69" = 2.2
I think I remember reading a Friel blog discussing this ratio, indicating that in general, those with a lower ratio are better suited for climbing.

In my case, I was passing a group of riders (5 or 6), so I doubt all of them were large. I do remember one other guy who hung around with me and climbed faster than most on the uphills. He had some sort of cycling jersey on, and didn't have aero-bars on his road bike. Definitely a strong rider!
2010-11-15 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3211626

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Oldteen - 2010-11-15 1:38 PM

A bit OT, but here's another take on HR vs Power training question (with a few references)-

http://www.bicyclepaper.com/articles/2009/05/training__heart_rate_vs_power

Even in the era of PM's, PE still matters a lot.  As Merckx said about improving climbing performance & technology- don't ride upgrades, ride up grades.  Regardless of technology it is up to the individual endurance athlete to gain the experience/training to know how much they can (or cannot) push the steeper hills for best performance on a given day.  It's all fine to discuss Vi ~1, but that goal is tough on a tough hilly course.  Most of us do not have the discipline to throttle back to 5mph (or less) on a 12% grade (~220W assuming 150#cyclist w/19# bike).

The whole idea of the PM is to discipline yourself to throttle back. Merckx probably never had to run a marathon after his races. Tactics in cycling tend to be a bit different than long course tri b/c you need to 'cycle smart' to have legs for the marathon. I've done IM Wisconsin which I think most would consider a slightly hilly course with a VI=1.03 and never trained on hills. All of my training was done inside on a trainer. For me, a watt is a watt is a watt. I didn't find it hard at all to let everybody pass me on the hills. I past most of them back while they were reaching down for water and coasting down the back of the hill.
2010-11-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3207824

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
crmorton - 2010-11-12 7:40 AM

Oh wow. I am that guy.
The guy who goes uphill passing people and then wonders why everyone catches up to me on the flats and downhills.

In Muskoka 70.3, I even started chatting with a group of guys around me (who were all going steady power), I shouted to one of them "Am I doing something wrong here?" as I passed by him on another uphill. We passed back and forth for about 40km, then I never saw him again (in this case we hit a stretch of brutal rollers, and I pulled away since he didn't have extra time to catch up).

Turns out, I must have been in good shape because I had the best run of my life (in a half iron).

Regardless it did indicate that I may not be using my energy efficiently while riding, and I should try and control my exertions on the uphills in the future.

Well if this was a PR run, it suggests that you could go EVEN HARDER overall on the bike. Do you train iwith power? This makes it really easy to see where your matches are being burnt. It may be that if you dial back a touch on the uphills, and power over & down the back side up to 25mph or so and hammer it on the flats your overall bike leg could be faster still, done at an overall higher power output, gaining you more time than you'd give up on the run by pushign harder. Practicing this in training & race day rehearsals will help you sort this all out.

2010-11-15 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3209046

User image

Elite
Ontario
tjfry - 2010-11-12 8:33 PM
my 2 cents anyway

I think this is right on the money - and I know a lot of people disagree.  I remember reading one of JeepFleeb's IM race reports, using both power and HR.  He started the ride hitting the targeted power numbers, but the HR was much higher then expected.  He had a choice to make - stick with the power number or listen to HR.  He was concerned but stuck with power and fell apart for the run.

I found a similar situation last year in a Sprint.  I had no power in the legs, but my HR was as high as it goes for a race.  I couldn't understand why I wasn't able to hit the planned watts, but the HR told me I was at my limit.  Whatever it was, I had no legs on the day.  HR told me something was wrong - I already knew that from not generating the watts, but the HR validated that it wasn't because my exertion level was too low.

As TJ said, they are great tools to be used in parallel with one another.
2010-11-15 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3212159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
GoFaster - 2010-11-15 5:36 PM
tjfry - 2010-11-12 8:33 PM
my 2 cents anyway

I think this is right on the money - and I know a lot of people disagree.  I remember reading one of JeepFleeb's IM race reports, using both power and HR.  He started the ride hitting the targeted power numbers, but the HR was much higher then expected.  He had a choice to make - stick with the power number or listen to HR.  He was concerned but stuck with power and fell apart for the run.

I found a similar situation last year in a Sprint.  I had no power in the legs, but my HR was as high as it goes for a race.  I couldn't understand why I wasn't able to hit the planned watts, but the HR told me I was at my limit.  Whatever it was, I had no legs on the day.  HR told me something was wrong - I already knew that from not generating the watts, but the HR validated that it wasn't because my exertion level was too low.

As TJ said, they are great tools to be used in parallel with one another.

Add me as another with this opinion.  I have been using a PM since March this year and now use a Joule with it.  I have the top two fields of the Joule setup to display watts and HR so I can see them easily on a quick scan.  After 15 minutes or so of warming up for a ride, I can tell if I have legs or not that day just by comparing my HR and wattage output.  If my performance never varied from day to day, then I would say you could ditch the HR monitor.  As the ride goes along and I start encountering hills, I keep check wattage output and HR as I am going up.  Not only that, but I have developed a better feel for RPE as a result.

Greg
2010-11-29 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3207771

Expert
Salisbury
One thing I want to add (as a slow guy) that is often overlooked is how strong/fast the person is.If your goal is 225 average watts then "spiking" to 250 for a hill might not be a big deal and you're going fast enough to not be in that range very long. However, if you're goal is 160 average watts you might have to spike to a higher percentage for a longer time just to keep moving (or falling over). Momentum can be a huge factor for rollers especially.As I've improved over the years it sure is nice to be able to "flatten" some hills and keeping my momentum by just raising my wattage a little. This wasn't always the case.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strategy for pacing the bike on hills; overdoing it on the uphills! Rss Feed  

of 3