Ironman North America
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 54m 21s
Overall Rank = 1315/2800
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 167/
Pre-race routine:

Well, another dark morning begins yet another IM. I was sleeping ok until about 3:30 or so and then I had to get up and that was it. I went back to bed and laid there and tried desparately not to think about this race. It was going to be my third and also I felt my most difficult. I had been training diligently on a good program but I had lacked some intensity over the last three months so wasn't sure what was going to happen here. Once up officially, I had a protein shake with banana and fiddled with last minute additions to special needs bags. I had Deb drive me down to Alvin's and drop me off so I could get marked and move into T0 and get ready. I dropped my SNB's and headed over to get marked. Put a vest in my Bike Transition bag since it was about 38 degrees and figured about a 40 degree drop from water to air temps. I wanted a comfy bike. Installed my nutrition and fluids onto my bike and went to grab a bench and put on my wetsuit. Lo and behold, I forgot my chip! Yeah baby. I was informed I could get one at the beach. I would not be racing with my lucky ankle strap today though. Omen? Nah.
Event warmup:

Deb and I headed to the beach where we waited for the sun to come up. She took a first light photo of me on the sand. It was a fun moment. I took my water bottle down to the sand and placed it on the Ford sign that was not floating because the tide was out all the way to Central America. It seemed as if there would be more running than swimming today. I went out into the water to get acclimated. It was beautiful but the wind was up and I knew that by the second lap the water would be much more difficult to navigate. I finally came in and hung out for the banner.
Swim
  • 1h 29m 27s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

First lap was better than I expected. I dealt with the mosh pit. With the tide out everyone had inched onto the sandbar for the start. I was fine. Defensive swimming but never really clobbered. My HR was in check and I was happy. I drifted inside the buoy line and headed to the turn. Backside was where the fun was as the current was almost directly behind us. I headed back to the beach and through the chute for lap two. I took my time and wasn't out to set records. Just wanted to keep the HR down. I headed back out to the first turn, with a slight navigation issue. Just lost my focus on the last buoy before the turn and got pushed over some so I had to mount a bit of a firm stroke to come back up to it and around it. I got stuck on the mooring and as I kicked off I immediately cramped. What a drag. I got a bit nervous because this happened to me here two years ago but much farther through the course. I struggle to uncramp and almost waived for a kayak. A woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I was ok. I was calm and fine but trying to relax my legs. I thanked her and she swam on. I thought that was an amazing gesture. I finally relaxed my legs and the current had nearly swept me to the next turn buoy. I was very concerned about the finish so I elected not to kick in but just pull. I believe this ordeal easily cost me 10 minutes. Oh well, nice start. Headed up the beach and to the strip. Matt G. was the man. I think he pulled a hammy helping out of my IM prom dress. The rest of the ATC bunch was there cheering along with Deb. Very cool.
What would you do differently?:

More electrolytes for pre-race. Maybe over the previous days too.
Transition 1
  • 11m 45s
Comments:

A little pokey here as I strolled up the beach. Did not want to jack the HR. Also, they now change in the building and not in the tents. This makes for a long run. I didn't like this 'improvement'. Once inside I elected to don the arm warmers and a vest. Once set and ready to go I headed out. Saw the ATC criminals working the sunscreen. Nice to see familiar faces again.

I could've pushed it and been a bit more buttoned down, but I really didn't care. This was a day to finish and enjoy what might be my last tri at this distance.
Bike
  • 6h 08m 46s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Gained some ground over this part of the course. I relaxed and only two goals, cadence and HR. I wanted to take some off the bike to set up for a decent run. This was a tough, tough bike. Of course, the perequisite IM FL cheating was in full bloom with pacelines, blocking, drafting. What BS. I did my best to convince some folks they were not adhering to the spirit of IM but what do they care? Other than one really crappy road, a turnaround from the old course, the rest of the course was in good shape. This is a new track for this race and certainly seemed more challenging that the old one. Trouble did brew for me a bit around Mile 70 as cramping came back. If I just dipped my toes a bit on my stroke the calves tried to light up on me. This made me nervous a bit considering my run and what might lie in wait for me. The return to the beach was about the only spot where we had a tailwind. I couldn't believe it.

Maybe drink and eat just a bit more. With the wind you can end up not consuming enough. I think I was ok, but, could've done just a bit better.
Transition 2
  • 15m 31s
Comments:

Now this transition was really slow. I got back into the Russian Bath House to change up. I will tell you that this was freaky. As my third IM, I have never seen so many dudes go full monty. Everyone was changing into running gear. It was weird. I thought that's why they made tri suits. So you wouldn't have to do this. I like the guy who was sitting on the chair naked and said to me; "sorry it's wet", and I thought, yeah, you're concerned about it being wet, I'm concerned that you just rubbed your junk all over it. Wait til they use that thing for the Rotary meeting next week! HA!

Not much. Landed with a 90 ave cadence which was my minimum goal. It was a hard bike. I was happy with my results here.
Run
  • 4h 48m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Continued to gain ground so that's good. My first 6.5 out to the park concerned me. I generally felt like ass. Pains in my legs took turns on which location they wanted to vex me. None of my usual haunts either. I was thinking this would be a long night. Out of T2 I saw the ATC prison block again. Fun! Aimster! You nut. Then around the corner to the family tent. Deb with the thermos of chicken broth, yummy! And oh so good for you. I stopped for a bathroom break at the end of the road and unloaded again. Now I felt pretty good since I never went on the bike. Out to the park and finally everything seemed to relax. I was feeling better. I got to see a couple of ATC competitors along the way. Generally though, no one I knew. Lap 1 completed and headed back out again. Aimster ran with me and I got to see my family and friends again. April and Ken surprise visit! That was awesome too. Back out to the park. I knew that this time I wouldn't get there until dark. While my run was proceeding faster, I was overall slower today so I would have to navigate the park in the dark. I ran into Lorna on the backside of the park. She tried to pawn off a PB and Honey sammy on me. I almost yacked thinking about it. Some guy stated that 11 min miles would get you back and under 13 hrs so I changed over from 5/1's to 6/1's and picked up the pace just a bit. The returns were harder because the wind was in your face. That F'ing wind was not dropping, but the temps were. As usual, Mile 23 - 25 includes the additional 37 mystery miles. I cannot believe it takes that long to traverse those two miles in an IM. But, I could hear the sounds of the PA system at that point and knew I was almost there. I was patient, rounded the last corner, and stashed my gloves with my parents who were still sitting there cheering. Cranked up to the finish line for an attempt at a better photo than 2008 where someone got in my way. As I came under the first banner I got really pumped. I was rolling along and became excited. The crowd was really cheering at this point and I could not wait to finish strong. I was going to be an Ironman again.

I might have pushed the last three segments just a bit more. I really wanted a 4:30 or better. My watch had me at 4:42 but IM had my at 4:48. Whatever.
Post race
Warm down:

Mylar blanket and a chair in the volunteer booth. Warm, dry clothes and my first cola in over a year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Career, two small businesses, cycle coaching and mowing my own lawn?

Event comments:

More toilets in transition please. Also, more lights in the park, crap it was like spellunking out there. If they could tweak the bike course to avoid the one out/back where special needs is that would be good. And more ref's to eliminate the bike cheating and the pacers on the run course. Really, you need a pacer? Come on dude.

I loved this race. I gained ground with every transition. It was the hardest one for me and yet I did it. Not my fastest, not my slowest. The porridge was just right.

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:29:27 | 3800 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 247/
Overall: 1979/2800
Performance: Below average
First lap was a 38.
Suit: Xterra Pro
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle perpendicular to the beach. What is this, 10th grade geometry?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:08:46 | 112 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 197/
Overall: 1478/2800
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Headwinds, Cross-winds, gusting, and about freaking 12-15 miles of direct tailwinds. I didn't think you could design a bike course that could stick you in the wind the entire way!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 15:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:48:52 | 26.2 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 167/
Overall: 1315/2800
Performance: Good
Course: Gulf Coast x 2 plus freaking cold.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes