weSPARK Cancer Support Center
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 7s
Overall Rank = 11/179
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

This race was just a couple miles from our apartment...I decided to enter on the spur of the moment and Liz decided after I did (she signed up for the 5K). We thought about walking one mile to the west end of the park and then jogging the 1.5 or so miles to the start, but decided to drive that first mile, then do the warmup jog the rest of the way.

After some stretching and strides, I was chatting with Liz at the back of the 5K starting pack when we hear an air horn. Oh...guess that's the 5K start...Liz, you'd better start running. Sheesh.

Lined up for the 10K with a bunch of guys in my AG...started swapping BQ stories, so I knew there was some competition. I was hoping to get under 43 minutes and win the AG, so I got geared up mentally for the challenge.

Just like with the 5K, basically no warning...there goes the horn...
Event warmup:

Jogged about a mile from the car. Stretched. Strides. Felt good, in spite of lingering tendonitis in left knee.
Run
  • 43m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Started fast to get some elbow room, but then worked my pace back down to around 6:50, where I was hoping to sit for awhile. Found a couple rabbits that I chased for a bit, then one of the guys from my AG worked his way past me and I decided to shadow him.

It was very breezy and getting hot. I found myself with an unusually dry mouth and there was no water until mile 2. Kept shadowing the guy from my AG and debating with myself when to pick him off...I knew from talking with him that he'd just run a marathon, so I expected him to tire...sure enough, around 3.5 miles I caught him.

Miles 3 and 4 were tough...a number of turns and short grades. I was laboring by the 4 mile marker, but I could tell I had enough gas in the tank to press the pace a bit. In the last mile, I spotted a guy ahead whom I guessed was in my AG and started debating trying to reel him in. With a half mile to go, I realized I was steadily gaining and I should go for it. Caught him with 0.3 miles to go and made sure to pass him decisively. At that point, I had a feeling I'd won the AG.

Crossed the line in 43:07.4...new PR, but just short of my 43 min. goal.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Should have hydrated a little more before hand...mouth was hella dry and that was a distraction. Might have gone out a teeny bit too fast, but I had a really strong last two miles, so I think the start actually bought me the PR when all was said and done.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Liz and jogged a bit. She won her AG in the 5K and got to go up to the stage for her medal. Waited for the 10K results...as expected, I won my AG. But it was a dogfight: 5 of the top 14 men overall--every spot from 10-14--was in 50-54. Felt pretty good about my tactical decisions, esp. chasing down that last guy with 1/3 of a mile to go...he wound up being #2 in the AG.

So the streak is alive...no non-AG-podium finishes at 5K-8K-10K since October 2008. First time winning my AG at 10K, actually.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still a bit tweaked (left knee, left ankle) from coming back too fast after Long Beach Marathon...felt good today, however I was wearing my old Brooks Addictions which are very heavy, but have been helping the knee, it seems...definitely not a shoe I normally race in.

Then, of course, there was that 42 mile bike ride yesterday...

Event comments:

Second year for this local charity 10K/5K...with an added 15K for kids from the Students Run LA program this time. Generally well run, but lacking in some amenities...didn't care for the choice of styrofoam cups at the aid stations, for example, or the lack of ordinary H2O at the finish. But a good fast course and a good vibe overall and a good charity to support.

Last updated: 2010-11-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:07 | 06.21 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 11/179
Performance: Good
Course: Big figure-8 around the perimeter of a large recreation area in our neighborhood. Mostly flat...about 80% concrete MUP and 20% well-packed dirt jogging trail.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-11-15 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: weSPARK 2nd Annual 10K Run

2010-11-18 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3211109

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: weSPARK 2nd Annual 10K Run

Congrats to you both. Pretty impressive streak, too!

2010-11-19 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3211109

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
Subject: RE: weSPARK 2nd Annual 10K Run

agree with top spots , here in norcal a local non elite race you can see

age group 50-54 bringing in sub 40 10k's congrats

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » weSPARK 2nd Annual 10K Run Rss Feed