General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-11-15 2:59 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread

Just signed up! The hubby and I did this last year as our first HIM and had a great time. I've started a winter maintenance plan and I’m regretting not working out more in the last few months!

Edited by ladykera 2010-11-15 2:59 PM

2010-11-15 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3211936

User image

Veteran
Madison
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread

I am doing this race as well.  A group from my Tri Club in Chicago all signed up and there should be around 9 of us doing the race plus some spectators coming down to cheer us on.

You have a couple of months to build a base before most plans start on Jan 15th so you should be fine.  I am actually trying to build up my running during the winter to at least 25 mpw after a horrible season of injuries from running.

Best of luck to you in training!

2010-11-16 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Get use to trail running in the heat!!!

FM
"The" Cube
2010-11-21 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
I am in again.  I did it last year as well.  I did Augusa and Cube is correct it  not the best run course you will do in an Triathlon but it is still Disney and you will enjoy it.  Last year the run was a three loop course in a remote area by a canal and in the Sun no shade.  Just know that going in and don't let others tell you how good or bad it is.  The swim and bike are great.  You see several are coming back others may not, make it a fun weekend for your family.
2010-11-22 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I'll be going to this race as well, will be my first HIM!  Can't wait.

tri ryan I just realized that I have a hard time doing long rides on the trainer...any experience in winter riding in Chicago? 
2010-11-30 7:28 PM

User image

My daughter and I are in and have already signed up, we both did this last year and had a great time. Made 10 day vacation out of it!!! This was not only our first 70.3 but also our first Triathlon ever! Spent the winter training indoors and down in the basement on the bike. But as mentioned prior, beware of the run hot, steamy and sticky. I hope to beat my last years time of 6:32.

Mark
Ontario, Canada

2010-12-01 1:01 AM

Regular
For all of you that are looking at this event as first timer's, let me offer some info.  Last year this was my very first ever 70.3.  I trained as much as the northern Indiana weather would allow, but let me tell you that if you are not training in any heat... find a way.  The warmest day I saw in IN leading up to this event was 55, the day of the event the heat index was mid 90's. 

The venue is okay if you are a spectator.  I would highly recommend that if you have any family and/or friends comming that they have water, food, snacks of some kind and plan on enjoying the heat as well.  For the athlete the venue is nice.  Transition area was great for me because I was under a tree and everything stayed in the shade.  I checked in on Saturday and the place was a buzz.  If you like a little less crowd you can check in on Friday.  We got to see the panel of pro's on Sat. which was cool.

As for the course, the swim is really nice.  Nice lake with very easy to track markers.  Lots of people to help in and around the water.  Water temp was warm and a wetsuit would have made you pass out.  The bike course is a single loop that is very well controlled with little to no true hills to speak of, if you are from a hill area.  There was enough concentration of people on the bike course that some drafting was going on but everyone spaced out well as the course went along.  There was a great water station during the bike portion as well.  Okay, now the part where you are going to get all kinds of interesting comments about... The Run...  It is 3 loops and you are going to spend a great deal of each loop traversing grass ATV style trail areas.  So, I would say that you need to spend some running time on uneven grass at the very least.  One interesting thing is that there are trees all over the place but you are really never in any kind of shade during the run.  Unlike some, I was able to clean my ASICS versus throwing them in the trash.  Believe me, you won't be able to tell what kind of shoes you are wearing after you are finished.

Some hints to offer that helped me finish include; hydrate hydrate hydrate.  Watch solid food intake if you are sensitive and not used to the heat.  Liquids were much better for me.  Sunscreen!!  Hat!!  Sunglasses!!  Hopefully they will have the little spounges this year.  These were a god send.  Grab at least 2 and keep one under your hat and the other just inside your shirt at your chest.  There were this kiddi pools filled with ice water along the run that was like pools of heaven.  Dip your hat and you spounges in and then run to the next pool and do it again.  Would also suggest making sure you do some blister control for your feet.  I only have 1 kidney and hydration monitoring is a case of life and death for me, that said there was so much support on every part of this course that you will never be very far from any help.  The people were amazing and made the event great.

I'm very happy I did this event and I would not discourage anyone from selecting this site.  Although, if you don't like running loops and being "off road" is not in your best interest then maybe you would like to look at a different HIM site.  For me I'm signing up for Augusta 70.3 that goes later in the year in September.  Offers a little more through the summer training and the run is all on paved roads at this HIM, much better for me. 

Hope this might help some of you.
Best of luck to everyone.
2010-12-01 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I am signed up and thanks for great advice in above post.   I am a native and this is the only 70.3 I have not done in the state so figured would give it a go.   Yes, it will be hot and that really comes into play on run and important to hydrate well on the bike.   I have trained for a few years now with specific focus on the heat during the run.   Great advice so far with sponges etc.   Also good idea to throw a hand full of ice if available down your pants or in back pockets of tri jersey.   I think the acclimation is part of it and honestly your body type plays big factor as well.   I am borderline clyde and I just break down faster than those with less mass.  My time differences in mild/hot races is night and day regardless of how I have trained.   I typically save one run a week to do in the heat of thte day to at least be mentally ready for it. 

Good luck and see you all there.    Thanks to Miami 70.3 debacle, this race is on them.  They offered everyone free spot who raced. 
2010-12-01 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3232170

User image

Boynton Beach, FL
yesssss...... thank you ironman miami!  I will also be in orlando on may 15th.  looking forward to it!
2010-12-02 12:02 PM

User image

Cayman
Does anyone know if this event sold out in 2010?
2010-12-02 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
YES...it sold out but not until late spring.

2010-12-03 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3234683

User image

Cayman

Thanks!!!  I know I should just sign up and then I am committed but travelling from overseas and afraid something will come up or I get injured and I lose my $$$.

For those who have done this event before do you recommend staying at Disney or staying nearby.  I don’t have kids and Disney is quite expensive but may be worth the expense if it is a lot less hassle than staying offsite?? Would be great to hear your thoughts. 

2010-12-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3235232

User image

It is a lot less of a hassel to stay on site. If not the morning of the race you have to drive to a parking lot on disney property and take a bus to the transition area. I stayed in the Lodge cabins and rented a golf cart. The golf cart was the best thing I did that weekend. 
2010-12-05 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
I stayed over on 192 at the Comfort Suites Maingate West for $69 a night. 10mins to the parking lot at Disney. Race morning I left the room @ 4:45 and was at my bike in transision at 5:20...very easy.
Plus its in a plaza with a Winn Dixie, Crackle Barrell, Carabbas, Fridays and Outback.

Edited by The Cube 2010-12-05 6:55 PM
2010-12-05 10:24 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
I stayed at the Best Western next to Disney Downtown with  restaurants  and movie place  on the main strip. Clean rooms and straight shot with one  right turn into the main disney world parking lot EASY EASY  no stress. I paid $35 a night through priceline and the bus at the hotel took me back and forth from the movies and restaurants and drove to the race 5 min. When parking at the hotel just do not park where it says valet painted on the parking spots because you will pay per day. None painted spots then you can park for free anywhere . http://www.lakebuenavistaresorthotel.com/. I would stay there again for sure.
2010-12-10 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hi All, I just signed up for Florida 70.3 and Augusta 70.3 as my first and second HIM. For Florida: adgradiology - great race review. Lots of helpful info. Cube - LOL at trail running in the heat (or not so much). So, any "must-do" recommendations for pre-race activities (check in, Saturday goings on, pre-race restaurant)? My family cannot make it for the weekend so I am solo (but they will be in Augusta to cheer me on!).  

2010-12-25 2:02 PM

User image

New user
Ottawa
This is going to be my first HIM.  Thanks to all for valuable advice and insight

I'm liking the idea of a golf cart!!!!!

Anne 
2010-12-25 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3231538

User image

adgradiology - 2010-12-01 1:01 AM Okay, now the part where you are going to get all kinds of interesting comments about... The Run...  It is 3 loops and you are going to spend a great deal of each loop traversing grass ATV style trail areas.  So, I would say that you need to spend some running time on uneven grass at the very least.  One interesting thing is that there are trees all over the place but you are really never in any kind of shade during the run.  Unlike some, I was able to clean my ASICS versus throwing them in the trash.  Believe me, you won't be able to tell what kind of shoes you are wearing after you are finished.

That's an accurate statement, especially about hydration. Last year was my first HIM and I had a pretty good nutritional failure going on. On the bike I couldn't keep down my proteins (read: puking on the roadside) so by the run I was dead on my feet. About a mile of the loop is in a shaded walking/biking path but after that it's the "Savannah Grasslands run". Due to the heat and the fact that I was bonking I ended up walking the last 8 miles. It was embarrassing but after watching them take 3 people off the course in ambulances I'd rather take the embarrassment of walking than the humiliation of being carted off in the meat wagon. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and make sure you get in good nutrition on the bike. By the time I got on the run my stomach was too messed up to keep any solids down and Gatorade didn't have enough calories.

Bottom line: I had problems because I couldn't keep food down early, but the heat on the run didn't help. Don't let my problems scare you off, but go into it knowing that the heat is a factor and you will want to train with that in mind.

Oh... and for those of you who are wondering "How are you training for the heat this year?" I'm in Guam this training season... so it's nothing BUT heat and humidity!

Edited by ladykera 2010-12-25 3:56 PM
2010-12-27 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Anybody that needs local information hotels, etc or about the event(My second time doing it) let me know.  I live on the bike course and ride the course all of the time.
2010-12-29 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3261348

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ladykera - LOL at your two posts. Only a true triathlete "had a great time" "puking on the roadside so by the run I was dead on my feet." Too funny, yet noteworthy as this is my first HIM and I am not training in Guam (Atlanta, but January-through-May is not quite the heat and humidity of Orlando on May 15th). 
2010-12-29 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3262792

Thanks for offering information.  Sounds like off site works well, according to the previous comments.  I will take any recommendations.  Would like a place with kitchenette or at least micro and fridge.  Is there something like a Whole Foods close by? 

2011-01-02 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Hope everyone started they year off right and had some good training days Saturday and Sunday.  This event will be here before you know it. There is a Whole Foods in the Dr Phillips area of Orlando.  It is about 20 mins from the Disney Complex. 
2011-01-03 5:32 PM

FL 70.3 was my first tri ever last year and the thing that helped me the most with my race was an OWS at Lucky's lake the day before. luckyslakeswim.com. i had never done an OWS (living in seattle at the time), and to get out there and swim with a couple hundred folks that day made me feel so much better the next day when my wave went off for the 70.3. it was about 1000 meters and they swim there everyday. free too! 
2011-01-03 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3267190

User image

New user
Ottawa
rchow - 2010-12-29 9:17 PM Thanks for offering information.  Sounds like off site works well, according to the previous comments.  I will take any recommendations.  Would like a place with kitchenette or at least micro and fridge.  Is there something like a Whole Foods close by? 

I like the VRBO (vacation rentals by owners) website... www.vrbo.com 
2011-01-03 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3275181

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Great call on Lucky's. OWS is tough for me and will definitely do a Lucky's warm-up swim the day before.

Edited by jbjb110 2011-01-03 7:01 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4