Age Group Rank = 1/??
Event warmup:

Stretching/walk to start
Run
  • 22m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Went into this race feeling a lot of self imposed pressure since I won my age group last year. (I love small races) I wanted a repeat, but I also wanted to improve my time. They changed the course a bit (yay, no more running through the ghetto!), but the bulk of the course was the same. Felt strong throughout the race, started near the front and passed the majority of the females ahead of me within the first mile. Was passed by 2 girls, one which I kept in my sights, the other I had to let go. Did not know how many girls were ahead of me, but did not think there were many.

In the last half mile of the race I caught up to and passed the girl I had in my sights the entire race, she quickly passed me back, but could not stay with me. Another female passed me, and I was able to pass her with a quarter mile to go. I started my kick way too early as I thought the end of the race was just ahead. Low and behold that was just another turn and we had to run the .1 miles over uneven grass to the finish. I was all but gassed, but managed to stay ahead of the closest girl behind me by 4 seconds.

When I saw the clock at the finish line I couldn't believe that I had run in the 22 minute range, I haven't run that fast since high school. I was ecstatic and figured I had won my age group. It wasn't until I reviewed results later that I found out that I was 13 seconds out of being 3rd overall female. So close! But hey, if I cut 2 minutes off my time from last year, there's hope for next year!
What would you do differently?:

Run 14 seconds faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water and ate some of the great post race food. This was one of the most impressive food spreads I've seen, especially for a 5k.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training? Knowing exactly where the finish was? I left it all on the course and am really proud of what I was able to do.

Last updated: 2010-11-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:34 | 03.1 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/??
Overall: 0/331
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]