United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 37m 23s
Overall Rank = 414/
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 47/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got dressed, woke up my driver, and made some oatmeal. Ate the oatmeal in the car.
Event warmup:

Stood in a mass with all the other people that were cold. Although I'm sure we weren't as cold as the full distance people.
Swim
  • 59m 3s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well...the swim is normally my favourite part of a race. Not this time. My wetsuit just didn't fit well, and that's a product of me being fat, and renting one. I just couldn't keep the armpit of the suit in my armpits, and I took on a good bit of water, and it really hampered my ability to actually reach and stretch my arms out for a good entry into the water.

A number of times, say at least 10-12, I had to flip on my back and try to pull the suit back up in place. Then my goggles kept fogging up, and filling up with water. I didn't want to risk losing a contact so I stopped to empty them and rinse them out a few times.

The water itself wasn't bad, the swimming wasn't bad, I just wasn't able to do much of it well.
What would you do differently?:

Have a body that can fit in a normal sized wetsuit?
Transition 1
  • 13m 56s
Comments:

Ok, when I got out of the water, I got really disoriented. I wasn't sure where I should go, or what I should do, or even what all of these people were doing on the dock. Heck, why wasn't I still in the water, and what was I doing in the water in the first place?

Apparently wetsuit strippers only hear 1 word when they ask if you want stripped. They ask, if you say "No" they leave you in your suit, if you say anything else, they rip it off you. I'm pretty sure I told the people that I like pudding, so they took my suit off. Then I fell down again. I'm not quite sure why I got back up and kept ambling to T1, but I did.

Another thing, chamois cream...keep that stuff at home until race morning. Leaving it out in your gear bag all night when the temp gets into the upper 30's, then slathering it on your junk...well, it really makes you miss 65 degree water.

I don't know that I could have done anything differently. Well, I guess I could have not done a full clothes change, but hey, I have a red and white bike, and I wanted to wear my pretty red and white clothes. So I'm a diva, deal with it Transition Gods.
Bike
  • 3h 54m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, now is where we really see the insanity of my actually showing up today for the race. I think for the whole year, I might have ~70 miles on the road, and 5-7 hours on the trainer...total.

I'd never ridden over 23-25 miles, or been on my bike more than 90-100 minutes. But here I was with 56 to go.

The first 30 or so went well, excepting that I left a water bottle at the house. So I just had one bottle of Gatorade until the first aid station at mile 24-ish. I had a few gels and had just finished my last fluid when I pulled into the aid station and got off the bike to do a quick stretch, and get some new stuff. I took a Heed, and a water, and off I went.

Around mile 27-30ish, my R quad started to get tight, which I figured would happen, given the total lack of riding I've done this year, but I was hoping to have it hold off a bit longer. It did start to feel better again before the next aid station at mile 36, but by the mile 46 station it was worse. At some point, we did turn back and the headwind luckily stayed the same, so we got a nice little tail wind for the last dozen miles or so. That was really nice. I actually managed to have a respectable speed going on occasion. For me to be hitting 20mph, something good is happening. For it to be at that stage in this race, I was shocked.

All was well until the last mile or so, when there were 2 stinking bridges to finish up. My previously wonderful speed was now reduced to 8mph, and I was cramping in both quads.

Stupid bridges.

This is an easy one.

Train. Even a little.
Transition 2
  • 09m 34s
Comments:

Apparently since I was so slow coming into T2, the volunteers weren't expecting anymore HIM people, and kept asking what my number was and was I sure about it because that's a HIM number.

So when I found my rack spot, I grabbed my bag and took my bike shoes off, then did some weird 'both my quads are cramped' strut to the changing tent. This strut was to become very handy from here on out.

Full clothes change here too. Went with my fav pair of tri-shorts, an UA compression heat-gear top, and a tech tank top. Also chatted with the guy in the changing tent next to me. He was really flying in there, but took the time to apologize to me if his "junk gets all up in my business". I thought that was rather polite.

Take a nap? More freezing crotch-cream? Oooh, gin and tonic instead of water. That's the ticket.
Run
  • 3h 20m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I knew this part was going to really be where it was going to hurt. I had hoped to have some time in the bank from a better swim to help neutralize the damage of not training for, well, the whole year mostly, but for sure since August. Up to August, I'd had some actual 20-25 miles per week then got into a little bit of PF, and pretty much stopped running. From Aug-Nov I bet I ran a total of 9-10 miles, seriously. And oddly, the only thing that didn't bother me on the run in my lower body was my PF. Weird.

Anyhow.

In the first 2 miles, I think I managed to jog 200 yards. Otherwise it was just a walk trying to loosen up and stretch out the quads. It was pretty miserable then. But I figured I had plenty of time to stretch and get to fast-walking or jogging. Once the surface leveled out around mile 2, I stopped to take a waz, and then somehow managed to start jogging. I manged that until a downhill, which I always hate, so I walked that, but then ran the length of the boardwalk area where it was flat. I did more running on this stretch on both the out and the back than any other part, due to the major flatness.

I stopped at almost all of the aid stations for a combination of Heed/Pepsi or Heed/Water and a banana. I took enduralytes if they were there, always hoping they were quaaludes, but they never were.

At one point as I was stretching my quad with the pull the foot up to your butt stretch, my hammy started cramping, and I pretty much got stuck standing there like a flamingo. As I laughed and yelled many naughty words about my leg being stuck, someone ran by and just pushed my foot back down for me and never even stopped moving. I yelled thanks, and got a thumbs up in return.

Also, as I was trudging by the boardwalk, the men's leader for the Full went FLYING by me. I thought if I could just run that fast once, I would feel like such a stud. Then he was gone. I saw him again before I even got to the turn around as he was coming back. That dude was really fast. I clapped and cheered for him, and got a slight nod as he was really looking like he was starting to put himself into the pain world.

Mostly the run was quiet and slow for me. I walked more than I wanted to, but I ran whenever my legs were loose enough to let me. I skipped one aid station, and by the time I got to another one, I was cramping in both quads, both calves, my L groin, and both forearms (since I run like T-Rex with my arms up high). Of course, my head told me that I was cramping because I skipped an aid station, and that if I took 2 heeds at this one, I'd be better. My body, of course, laughed at this but did its best to keep up the facade of listening to my brain.

At one point I did see a "Chuck Norris never did an IronMan" sign, and all I could think was "Hell, neither did I." Then I realized that Chunk Norris and I have something in common, so with my newfound awesomeness, I proceeded to sprint the next 25 feet, at which point I got all crampy again, and starting walking.

I ran more again when I got back to the boardwalk, but had to walk the bridges again at the end.

I did manage to run the last flat stretch back in, and finished with what looks like a smile, but I'll assure you it's most likely a face cramp.

Train, not be fat, train.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, drank some water, got my crap and left. No food, no pictures. The music from the band was SUPER loud and I was on sensory overload. My cool-down was walking with my mum to the bus so she could drive me back to her house, where I would shower and then get ready to go out for dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training for the majority of the year on the bike, and the last 3-4 months on the swim or run.

Event comments:

As far as putting a race on, I've never not done one by Setup Events, and they've all seemed to go well.

I really think that they did a remarkable job keeping this one moving and organized with all the point to point stuff. I'll be back to this one, but I'm not sure when.

Last updated: 2010-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:03 | 2078 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/48
Overall: 48/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 13:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:54:24 | 56 miles | 14.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/48
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop, with some time on a highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:20:29 | 13.1 miles | 15m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/48
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 bridges to start and finish, 1 hill out, one hill back, otherwise mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-16 2:00 PM

User image

On your right
Subject: Beach to Battleship HIM

2010-11-16 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3213592

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship HIM
OK... let me just say that I loved your race report.  You are a very funny dude!

Congrats to you for mustering through this race on very little training.  Wow!  Way to go!
2010-11-16 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3213667

User image

On your right
shellabree - 2010-11-16 3:41 PM OK... let me just say that I loved your race report.  You are a very funny dude!

Congrats to you for mustering through this race on very little training.  Wow!  Way to go!

Sometimes the humor of the situation is about all that can get you through. 
2010-11-16 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Hee, hee.... I got a few chuckles out of reading that myself!  Great report and great way to hang tough!

2010-11-16 9:07 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Nice job congrats on finishing!!! And an a very entertaining race report as well.
2010-11-16 9:17 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Good job, Diva! Sometime you gotta take me up on a bike ride. There are great routes leaving from the 'hood. I bet I saw you finish. I waited til my coach finished her race before I left. Congrats on doing something that most would never attempt!

Pam

2010-11-17 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3214170

User image

On your right
barqhead - 2010-11-16 10:17 PM Good job, Diva! Sometime you gotta take me up on a bike ride. There are great routes leaving from the 'hood. I bet I saw you finish. I waited til my coach finished her race before I left. Congrats on doing something that most would never attempt! Pam

Judging by your times, and mine...I could ride my bike while you run, and we might be about even. 

2010-11-18 11:30 PM
in reply to: #3214159

User image

On your right
trinnas - 2010-11-16 10:07 PM Nice job congrats on finishing!!! And an a very entertaining race report as well.

I do what I can, Kate.  Too bad I'm better at writing entertaining RR's than I am at actually racing.
2010-11-21 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Chad the Flamingo!! I am still laughing at the description, mainly becuase I have been there too and I know what it feels like. Funny, funny stuff mate. Can't wait for you next race, even if it is just for the RR!!

2010-11-22 3:54 AM
in reply to: #3220480

User image

On your right
Perhaps I should start wearing all pink race clothes from now on with my flamingo style.  What do you think, Gus?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach to Battleship HIM Rss Feed