General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-01 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Subject: Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach
I want to take things up a notch next year and move up to 1/2 IM....(probably should tackle the Olympic this year and stop making excuses!)

Just curious....I don't have alot of training partners around my area to bounce things off of. Has anyone had any luck. I've looked at Chris Carmichael's....

Thoughts...comments....?

2005-08-01 9:10 PM
in reply to: #213317

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Subject: RE: Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach
I've realized all the racers in clubs are really fast (I beat one last race!!).
2005-08-01 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Fitness Concepts has a staff full of highly qualified coaches who work with triathletes of all levels, beginner to professional. Rates vary from less than $100 per month to $500 per month. More information is available at www.Fitness-Concepts.com Ken
2005-08-01 9:26 PM

Elite Veteran
I use Marty Gaal at www.osbmultisports.com (he is an online coach). Around here (probably like everywhere), how I place depends on who shows up, but this year I've placed in 7 out of the last 8 races I've entered.

Am I great or good? Nope, not at all. Those fast women in my AG (45-49) take first overall, or first in masters, and the finishers ahead of me vie for those titles. I consider myself among the best of the mortals who show up when I have a good day. That is why I'm placing this year. I attribute it to both BT and having an online coach. I've learned a lot here (tons, really), and I've had a coach I feel like I've had to answer to. I DO know he's worked me harder than I would have myself, and he has always been really encouraging when I've either had a real set back or real success.

If you want to take it up a notch, you won't go wrong by hiring a coach.
2005-08-01 10:07 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Lots of good advice already....Lynda is dead on with what she shared.

I hired a coach this Spring....only after doing one Tri. I'm 43 and haven't been athletic for a long time...I wanted to train smart and improve by training effieciently. I have 5 kids and work full time so time is always an issue. I looked at online coaching, talked to local BTers and also Tri Team friends and contacted lots of coaches. I wanted someone who would answer my endless question and would be willing to adjust my training as my crazy life through me curves. I found a local coaching service Tri-Hard.com (I work with Will) that works with people near me but works with athletes from all over. What I like about them is that they respond to my questions normally within 2-4 hours, I can talk to them via phone when needed, and there are not limits to my contact.

My coach has helped me train smart and I have improved plus I haven't gotten injured doing much more training than last year. I know Will has had me do much more than I would have done on my own...I train much more consistently and I'm having lots more fun. In the only Tri I did last year when doing it this year I cut my time 19% on a sprint...over 21 minutes. I was slow...still am slow but getting faster. I placed 3rd in one Tri. They work with many people who win or place high in a lot of Tris. They worked with me to help me established my goals and used them to create a plan and helped me enjoy my training and racing much more than before. They help me with training, skills, nutrion, mental aspect of racing. My goal is to do an Ironman one day and build up and do longer races...they will help me get there.  As you go for longer races I think coaching helps you be time efficient and helps you gain confidence to finish strong. My advice is to consider what is most important to you...contact with coach, cost, etc, and look at many coaches and try to see which one will help you achieve your goals best.

Good Luck on your 1/2 Iron dream!

2005-08-01 10:10 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

2005-08-02 2:09 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
www.markallenonline.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach Rss Feed