Setup Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 39m 36s
Overall Rank = 67/429
Age Group = 45-49M
Age Group Rank = 6/56
Pre-race routine:

Third year for me at B2B - Two halfs and now the full..

Once again, and as per usual, alltom1 goes to a big dance solo. Don't know what it is with my family, but they say they don't want to stand around waiting for me to do my triathlon thingy all day long. I don't care if Saturday was my wife's birthday, this was ironman(!) and they are just selfish. ;- )

Got to the ville on Weds and stayed at MIL's..

Event warmup:

I put my wetsuit on riding the shuttle to the beach..Too cold/sandy otherwise..
Swim
  • 1h 13m 16s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I never heard the horn - People in front ran forward and I followed. The one time of a race I'm having no fun is the swim start, so I took some advice from brown_dog_us and let the crowd go for about 10 secs before I made my way to the first turn buoy about 25m from the beach. Good call.

I had clear water basically the whole swim. I'm gonna make the rest of this part of my RR a primer on how to do the swim at B2B:

Here's what someone looking at this race needs to know:

Start - Go way upwater for the first buoy and you'll avoid the crunch of 500+ swimmers - If the current is running on race day, it'll carry you back towards your target.

Swim Route - Take a line as far to the left as you can; the current is much stronger in the middle of the channel and you'll be in better position for the left turn around the 2mile mark. You'll also be out of the way of the main pack of swimmers. Might have to look a little harder for some feet to draft..

The Turn - It's NOT the boat with the squiggly man. You're looking for a green course marker and because you can't really sight off that marker until you're fairly close, it's not hard to get pushed by the current further downstream than you want..I think a lot of folks lose a lot time here, so fixate on that green turn marker.

Seapath Condos - The only highrise in the area is your target from here on in. Pick a line that takes you directly towards the tallest building you see and you'll save even more time.

When there's a current and the wind is coming from the south, this can be one fast and smooth swim. I knew we wouldn't get a current on race day but thought I could go 1:05 for the swim - An adverse wind direction had other ideas but I still felt good about this segment. It's still my weakest event but I actually enjoyed the water and wasn't cold in the least w/out cap/gloves/booties.
What would you do differently?:

For all my sermonizing about how to do the course, my execution wasn't flawless in re the line I took at the turn. I'll try and do better next time.
Transition 1
  • 08m 33s
Comments:

The race nearly ended for me about 15 secs out of the water.

I was a little light headed when I got to the ladder and positively dizzy after I stood up from the wetsuit-strip. I ran straight into the metal railing next to the temporary shower...I gave myself at least a deep bruise and possibly a fracture in two ribs. Couldn't breathe for a moment but the poor volunteer thought I was having a hypothermic fit. I tried to get an apology out for having wrecked half the shower but couldn't speak, so I shuffled my way towards the tent, a deeply humbled and chastened alltom1. Ironman is a fickle mistress and I took a slap on this day.

Changing tent was a time of quiet contemplation and reflection on my attainments to this point. Ok, not really - I just wanted to get dressed , get on the bike and lick my wounds on the fly..More or less, mission accomplished. It was warmer than I would have guessed so I ditched my high-tech(garbage bag) outerlayer.

As if the day isn't long enough, taking a few extra moments to mutilate myself isn't the clearest route to Ironman glory..Next time, I'll skip over the additional physical challenge.
Bike
  • 5h 41m 32s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Riding in aerobars = no problem for ribs. Anytime I got out of the saddle = hurt. Thank goodness for a flat course.

Head wind more or less for 75miles took a little pace adjusting and I was seldom in a comfortable rhythm until the turn back to Wilmington. I got passed by some folks the first half, not so many the rest of the way and just did what I could to save something for the marathon. Last section on 421 was a thing of beauty..Tailwind and smooth pavement.

I'd like to add that Infinit+Uncrustables worked perfectly. No nutrition problems on Nov13. 6Gu's and 3 Saltstick tabs. too. Fueling up in the cold is so much easier than when it's hot..

My goal time was 5:40. I went 5:41. Good to go.
Transition 2
  • 06m 33s
Comments:

My pleas for aspirin/ibuprofen fell on deaf ears in the changing tent. I guess I should be happy some wonk didn't volunteer to whack me on the other side to even things out.

Knew I was in for a long run when I tried to take my sleeveless jersey and underlayer off..
Run
  • 4h 29m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Story is more or less typical of Ironman at this point - Short version is I struggled for a while in the middle but rallied for the last 9miles and left with a good taste in my mouth.

Longer version is that ribs weren't much of a problem on the bike and I started to think I was gonna get off lightly..Not so fast, muchacho: The run felt like I had a cramp or stitch or something and I struggled to block out the ouchy for lots and lots of miles.

Hit a long bad patch and was ready to turn my chip in at the turnaround but was shamed into continuing by all the people cheering..Cavalry arrived in the form of caffeine

I'd started sipping Pepsi around the 10 mile. Silly rabbit, should have started much sooner - The caffeine kicked in around the 17th mile and away I went. Last 9 was easily the fastest segment of the run and friends, I am here to tell you, Coke on the run course is the cure for what ails you: Ribs hurt? Drink Coke. Bad attitude? Drink Coke. etc.

Finished ok and looked my watch for the first time since T2 - Ok, not the hysterical disaster it felt like..The run was slower than I'd planned, so I didn't wind up with the day I'd thought I would but close enough for respectability. I hate making excuses.

Start with the soda at aid station #1.
Post race
Warm down:

Warming tent/Massage

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I blame my family for letting me do this solo - AGAIN! ;- )

Event comments:

I didn't have the day I wanted so I'm probably going to come back and try again next year..

This race compares favorably with any other I've done in 7years of triathlon, and that includes mDot. B2B does not disappoint.

Last updated: 2010-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:16 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/56
Overall: 80/429
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: Point to point in Banks Channel to Seapath Marina
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:41:32 | 112 miles | 19.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/56
Overall: 75/429
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:29:45 | 26.2 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/56
Overall: 99/429
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-17 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance

2010-11-17 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3214849

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance

Congrats on finishing with some serious challenges.  I wish I had half your mental game.  Rest up, heal up and we wil hit the winter base rides soon.

2010-11-17 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Hope your family joins in.  If that was a limiter watch out!
2010-11-17 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
A race well raced, chest banging notwithstanding.

Hanging tough to post some very solid splits for the rest of the day. Regardless of what happened, 11:39 and 6th in the AG is a good day my friend.

Rest easy. Heal up. Return better.

Your swim navigation seems well developed, but once you master your T1 nav skills; you'll be really fast.
2010-11-18 7:44 AM

User image

Clayton/NC
Congrats Ironman!! Under 12 hours is a great day.
Hopefully your family will join you next time.

2010-11-18 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats!

Glad you were able to overcome run in with railing for most part. How are your ribs feeling now?

Helpful insight on sighting for future racers. Great splits all around.

Yum coke on the run...solves all IM run issues.

2010-11-30 7:05 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

nice job, bro! that was a gutsy performance! and that was a killer overall time! take some time to heal up and get ready for the next one!

2010-12-03 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
NICE race bro.. Way to stick with it..

Im looking at this race next season.. thank for swim course advice..

Congrats IRONMAN!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance Rss Feed