United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 26m
Overall Rank = 31/39
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ran a marathon the night before. Rolled out of bed, hobbled downstairs to start coffee. Hobbled back upstairs to get dressed and shave. Ate a bowl of cereal and toast with peanut butter and jelly. I was running a pretty good calorie defecit from the night before.
Event warmup:

Sign in, chat with a few friends. Stand around in the cool, dark, morning.
Run
  • 7h 26m
  • 30 miles
  • 14m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was not about time given I'd run a marathon (a 5+ hour marathon, but a marathon nevertheless) the night before.

Loop 1 I held back and ran with a Jennifer (Soccersandi00) that I introduced to trail runs a short 2 months ago. She ran a loop of the marathon last night too. As we head down the first hill, I hear someone yell for "Anne" to stop so I ask, and it's Abake (from Springfield) doing her first trail run. It's crowded, so no time to stop and chat. Legs are doing OK given the abuse of the night before, but Jennifer kept me in check (Thanks Jennifer!!) I chat with a few other runners while we're mostly together and the miles pass quickly. Jennifer is worried that she's holding me back (Hah) and I tell her I'll probably run at least 1 2:15+ loop, and would even consider stringing 3 of those together to be a pretty good day. We pass Totem Pole and the creek and she knows the hill is coming. We get up the hill and cross the 5-mile bridge at 1:10. We stop at the aid station before climbing towards Heaven's Gate. We catch up to her friend, Roger, and run together for a bit. After the creek crossing, I run with Roger so I can hit the latrine while Jenn lags behind. Roger and I come through the finish and Jenn is about a minute behind. I stop to top off my water and grab some food, give Jenn a hug to congratulate her, and start down the hill again.

Second loop is similar, but not nearly as many people around. Just keep moving forward...As I come up to totem pole, I catch up to some other friends running a bonus loop (they did the 10-mile race and are doing a second loop). The three of us run together past the 5-mile bridge and I get ahead of them at the aid station. Below Heaven's Gate, I stop to retie my shoes because my feet are sliding around on decents, jamming my big toe. Mike and Christy pass me and ask if I'm OK. Yea...we leapfrog from Heaven's Gate really to the finish line. One of the tri-hotties (a lady named Beth) is there to greet me. She ran a leg of the marathon last night and the 10-mile run this morning and was hanging around with friends enjoying a beautiful October day. She tells me my wife (Beth) had to leave and that I'd just missed her by about 3 minutes. Oh well...a bit more food and water and it's time to start the third loop. An APO'er was going to join me for the last loop, but I didn't see her so I asked. She wasn't feeling well, so I'd be on my own. By now, my knees are starting to hurt, but I have lots of time to make the last loop and not keep Mike from hanging around too long.

I manage to run the to the totem pole, but then walk the middle part. My knees are screaming at me, and my right forearm is cramped. When I say "run" that really means run the flat/downhill portions and walk anything remotely resembling a climb. I pass a runner before reaching totem pole. I walk from the totem pole past the aid station (telling them thanks again and wishing the volunteer a successful 100-miler next weekend) and on to Heaven's Gate. I catch up and walk for 5-10 minutes with a young lady on her second loop. As we get into Heaven's Gate, another runner passes me, but I'm in no condition to chase so it's a net zero on placing. I walk out of Heaven's Gate and commit to "run" from the creek to the finish. After crossing the creek, I start to make good on my commitment, and manage to shuffle in the last 2 miles. I'm about an hour slower than last year, and at least a half-hour later than I'd hoped, but still moving forward under my own power.
What would you do differently?:

Not run a marathon the night before? The first two loops were very consistent. Part of this was to see if I'd be up for a 100-miler or the Tahoe Triple, or any other such foolishness, and the answer is "maybe..."
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. My HR at the end was probably 140 (usually running HR is 160-170), so nothing more than a few minutes of stretching. Got a bowl of chili and a piece of a wrap and switched from shoes to flip-flops.

Rode home, took a shower and an ice bath and a 2-hour nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Marathon and limited long runs.

Event comments:

This is a low-key run. The race director, Mike, is part of the local club, and he's the reason I do these kinds of things (I ran my first trail run pacing him a couple years ago). Ultras are personal challenges.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
07:26:00 | 30 miles | 14m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/39
Performance: Average
Three 10-mile loops. Loop 1: 2:18 Loop 2: 2:18 Loop 3: 2:50
Course: Starts downhill then loops around a field before climbing back up the hill towards the parking lot and back into the woods. Some rollers along a small creek and then a climb up to the power line before some more rollers leading to the Totem Pole at mile 2.5. The stretch from totem pole to the creek is mostly meadow with some gentle climbs. Across Lick Creek (low enough this year to step across on stones, this usually ISN'T the case though). Another 3/4 mile of mostly flat woodland before "golf hill" (the steepest ascent. Golf hill isn't runnable and in the spring, they tie a rope so people can help pull themselves up. Once at the top near the golf course, we head down the hill and then a bit more climbing (2-3 climbs) before coming out at a huge house on the golf course. A slow decent to the bridge that marks 5 miles and a short but steep climb up on the other side. Less than a half mile is an aid station and then a steady climb up to a meadow and small cemetery. We turn past the cemetery into "Heaven's Gate" and decend back towards the creek and along a lower meadow before climbing back to Heaven's Gate. Leaving Heaven's Gate is about the 7-mile mark. Run along some meadows (this is the part of the course that concerns me on training runs...unless it's marked, they all look alike and it's easy to get off course). A decent down to the creek where we can again step across on stones (this crossing is usually less than ankle deep) just past mile 8. A couple irritating climbs before hitting the first of the frisbee golf course fairway and then back into the woods. A couple more climbs and then a small decent to the frisbee golf course and across the dam. One last little climb, around a bend, across a small bridge, and then a couple hundred yards of gentle uphill to the start/finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-11-19 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: McNotAgain Trail Run

2010-11-19 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3218119

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: McNotAgain Trail Run
Nice, 26 followed by a 30?  Yikes..so I am looking into running the 50 miler in April.  How is this track?  It wuold be my first ultra.  Is it a good one?
2010-11-19 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3218127

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

dewcubs - 2010-11-19 9:25 AM Nice, 26 followed by a 30?  Yikes..so I am looking into running the 50 miler in April.  How is this track?  It wuold be my first ultra.  Is it a good one?

The 50-miler in 2009 was my first ultra.  My previous longest running race was 15K.  I not only survived, but I've come back again and again to run there.  I ran the aid station for this year's race, and expect to help with it again in 2011, so make sure you say "hi" each time you come by. 

2010-11-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3218119

User image

YAY! Great job!!  Laughing  Thank you for getting me into Trail Running. I absolutely love it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » McNotAgain Trail Run Rss Feed