General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Tap v iBike Power Meter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-22 7:03 AM

User image

Subject: Power Tap v iBike Power Meter
The iBike power meter seems like it could be a descent alternative- especially when you consider its about 1/3 the cost.

From what I read the science behind the iBike meter seems o.k., but I'm worried than an aerobar setup could interfere with its wind readings, messing up my power in the process.

I have no doubt that the power tap is better, but is it 3 times better?  Does anyone have experience with a power-meter that doesn't use strain gauges? 

Or perhaps the easier question would be has anyone been able to get a used powertap for around 200-300 bucks?

Thanks!

2010-11-22 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3220962

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: Power Tap v iBike Power Meter
If budget is an issue....look for a used "wired" PT.  They are bulletproof, have the same options as the wireless version, and if you take your time running the wire no one will see it.  You should be able to find one already laced on a wheel (usually a Mavic open pro or DT swiss) for around $400.00 to $500.00 depending on the head unit and year.   

The new wire trick is to use the cable guide kit sold for the Shimano Di2 grouppo for running the wire cleanly on the bike.  The Di2 cable guide kit runs about $15.00

Edited by badgerintx 2010-11-22 7:30 AM
2010-11-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3220962

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Power Tap v iBike Power Meter

When the iBike was introduced a few years ago, the market included SRM (crank), PowerTap (hub), Ergomo (bottom bracket), and Polar (chain).  The iBike went a different route with their wind, speed, weight, etc and no actual measurement.

And the reviews at the time ranked them in that order, with iBike at the bottom.

The Ergomo and Polars are now off the market.  I'm surprised iBike is still kicking, because all my recent research on power meters it seemed they weren't around at all.

It's probably fair to say the Quarg Cinq meter is considered the best price/performance meter around.  SRM is the gold standard with a platinum price.  The PowerTap is somewhere in between, with bike-to-bike portability being a big advantage.  Garmin just bought the company that was working on a pedal based power meter and it will be out Real Soon Now.  That's the "game changer" everyone is waiting for, because rumors had the price below $1000, and with Garmin's large scale compared to the other vendors, Garmin could make power meters at a price point where they're as common as a speedometer.

Reading ibikesports.com, it's apparent they have been working on their technology and now have GEN III.   So maybe they've solved the accuracy problem.  Have they solved the calibration problem?  IIRC, the original iBike required some 10 minute calibration procedure for temperature, barometric pressure, blah blah blah before every ride, and during the ride if there were significant changes in any of those.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Tap v iBike Power Meter Rss Feed