General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Hometown Thanksgiving 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

America's Hometown Thanksgiving 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Plymouth, Massachusetts
United States
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up about 6:30. Light breakfast of whole grain toast with PB&J on it. Coffee and water as well. Drove to the race - about 35 min away. Arrived a bit too early, picked up my number and t-shirt. Found a couple friends who asked me to run with them.
Event warmup:

More like a "keep warm" up. Was cold temp and a stiff breeze. Seriously questioned my decision to run this wearing only tri shorts and no longer pants. Since the race was right along Plymouth harbor, the breeze was just whipping in. Guess wind chill was in the 20's without much of a problem. Spent most of the pre-race time hanging out in the restaurant near the start where most other runners seemed to be :).
Run
  • 26m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off the race w/ my 2 friends. A bit crowded at first and I weaved past a few folks. Eventually pulled ahead of the other 2 about mile 1 and got into a good groove. didn't feel like I was running any faster than my training runs. Breathing was easy and steady.

The freezing breeze didn't make any impact after the first 1/2 mile or so when I was finally warmed up from moving.

I also had another friend running with the beginners running club she organized, and this was their first race. Her 8 year old daughter was running as well, and I ended up running with her for about 1/2 mile near the end as she had run ahead of her mom, and was essentially running alone. didn't think that was a good idea, so I stayed with her until her older brother came by. Probably took a minute or so off my time, but I think the good Karma points were worth it. :).

Favorite part of the race was the last 200 yards. Picked out a guy about 20 yards and several people ahead, and said "I'm going to beat him in". Then just full out ran as hard as I could, and managed to pass him, and finish a decent distance ahead of him.

Since there was no 'official' timing, I used my watch. Was very happy to see 26:50 show as the time when I crossed the line. My best 5k yet, and much better than I anticipated. Nothing like a PR on a Sunday morning.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for friend's daughter to finish (about 1 min later - she took 1st in her age group!), grabbed a water, found my 2 start friends. Realized it was still freakin' cold and windy, and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to train more, but overall, I think I did OK

Event comments:

Good race - fantastic location. Not many volunteers, but they didn't need many. would do it again.

Last updated: 2010-11-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:50 | 03.11 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with 2 turn arounds. Given its Thanksgiving week, it was fun to have the course go right by Plymouth Rock, the replica Mayflower, and the Pilgrims memorial all right there on the harbor. Good traffic control on the roads, and most seemed closed while we were running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes