General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-23 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: 2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans
I'm now starting to put together my list of wanna-do events for 2011, and I've come up with this list.

March 27 - Boulder Spring Half marathon
May 1 - Colorado Marathon
End of May - Longmont Sprint Triathlon
Memorial Day - Bolder Boulder 10K
June 11 - HIM Kansas
June 24 - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Triathlon
Sept 18 - HIM Branson (???)

And maybe some additional events during the summer.

As I'm looking at this, I'm questioning whether my first full marathon 6 weeks prior to a half-ironman is a good idea. Comments?

Regarding training plans, last year I did the 27-weeks to half ironman in Gale Bernhardt's book Training Plans for Multisport Athletes. I very much like the structure of this plan and I wouldn't mind repeating it, but I'll need to modify it to support the marathon. Also, I want to make sure I get plenty of biking in as that was my weak spot this year.

I also plan to start running and biking with a group so that I can get some more personalized instruction. There is a local top amateur that does coaching through these groups, so I'll likely be getting involved there. I also have the opportunity for swim coaching with a olympic swim coach through a triathlon club locally. Not bad. 8^)

Any comments or advice are always appreciated, especially now as I'm in recovery mode from last season and planning next season.

-Kirk

2010-11-23 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3223296

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: 2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans
KirkD - 2010-11-23 12:33 PM I'm now starting to put together my list of wanna-do events for 2011, and I've come up with this list. March 27 - Boulder Spring Half marathon May 1 - Colorado Marathon End of May - Longmont Sprint Triathlon Memorial Day - Bolder Boulder 10K June 11 - HIM Kansas June 24 - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Triathlon Sept 18 - HIM Branson (???) And maybe some additional events during the summer. As I'm looking at this, I'm questioning whether my first full marathon 6 weeks prior to a half-ironman is a good idea. Comments? Regarding training plans, last year I did the 27-weeks to half ironman in Gale Bernhardt's book Training Plans for Multisport Athletes. I very much like the structure of this plan and I wouldn't mind repeating it, but I'll need to modify it to support the marathon. Also, I want to make sure I get plenty of biking in as that was my weak spot this year. I also plan to start running and biking with a group so that I can get some more personalized instruction. There is a local top amateur that does coaching through these groups, so I'll likely be getting involved there. I also have the opportunity for swim coaching with a olympic swim coach through a triathlon club locally. Not bad. 8^) Any comments or advice are always appreciated, especially now as I'm in recovery mode from last season and planning next season. -Kirk

That's a lot of racing over a 6-7 week period.  Assuming a week taper prior to and one week easy after each race, you are not leaving yourself much time to actually train.

Not saying that it can't be done.  I always get stronger after a race, but that doesn't show up until 1.5-2 weeks later after a recovery period.

Which race during that period is your A race?

Edited by bhc 2010-11-23 12:37 PM
2010-11-23 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Yep, therein lies my concern - lots of race time relative to train time. Of course, the triathlons would all be at the end of my 6 month training program. The marathon would be a "just to finish" event, the sprint and 10K would be more like hard training days. HIM Kansas would be my second ever HIM so that would be a B+/A- race. The olympic would be the A race, I think. Based on your comments, I might be better off making the HIM the A race and the olympic the B race.
2010-11-25 9:58 AM

User image

Champion

My only experience with a half-ironman following (sort of closely) after a marathon was '04, when I did Boston on April 19 and followed that with Eagleman on June 13. That was about eight weeks, which is about two weeks less than what you will be facing in your plan.

I can tell you that it worked well for me and that I had a terrific Eagleman ---- but Boston was my sixth marathon and Eagleman was my ninth half-iron, so I had a fair bit of experience on my side. I can also tell you that between Boston and Eagleman I did Columbia olympic (tough course) on May 23, 4 weeks and 6 days after Boston, and for that I felt kind of flat. I had a decent race, but just didn't feel like I had it all together that soon after Boston (I was 55, so recovery was not too quick).

So........I would wave a small red flag about following CM with Kansas70.3, especially if you are hoping to have a good performance at the latter. Of course, "good" is all relative, but assuming you put forth a solid effort at the marathon, I think there is a decent chance that you might not be ready for your best at Kansas.

However, eliminating Kansas from the plans makes for a good schedule with a nice build to Loveland -- a sprint, a 10km, then the oly. Are you considering Boulder70.3, which is maybe about the first week of August.......maybe as a replacement for Kansas, if you keep feeling the sweet nibbles of half-irons?

2010-12-03 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Hey, sorry for the slow reply. Somehow my notifications got shuttled to my Spam box.

However, eliminating Kansas from the plans makes for a good schedule with a nice build to Loveland -- a sprint, a 10km, then the oly. Are you considering Boulder70.3, which is maybe about the first week of August.......maybe as a replacement for Kansas, if you keep feeling the sweet nibbles of half-irons?

If only the HIMs were nibbling. They're taking big bites right now. I think your suggestion of eliminating Kansas is a good one. I thought that this was an interesting build up, too. 70.3 Boulder is definitely an option, and might be a good B-race if I want to try to push 70.3 Branson as an A-race. I'm not sure if 4-5 weeks between HIMs is such a good idea or not, but a month out, Boulder might be a good prep for Branson, eh?

ugh. I need a coach.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans Rss Feed