Cumberland Valley Athletic Club
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 36m 33s
Overall Rank = 313/1014
Age Group = M50-59
Age Group Rank = 44/167
Pre-race routine:

Note that temp at start was 33 F and warmed up to the mid to upper 50s (near 60)

The day before the race, met my support crew chief Scott, veteran JFK runners Terry and Mike, Brad who did the JFK once before and was running in this one, his wife Jenn, and Scott's wife. Terry and Jenn would be assisting Scott with crew support and I'd actually only see Jenn at Gathland State Park, the first major crew and spectator location. As this would be an opportunity for information, I pumped Terry, Mike, and Brad for info about running strategy along different parts of the course as I had heard a few somewhat different thoughts on this. The one thing everyone stressed was to power walk up the first mountain on Alt 40 and then walk every hill after that. So, I pretty much took those words to heart. I've heard something similar from a few other ultrarunners a few weeks prior. They know that you just wear yourself out too much if you try to run the hills and you don't really gain all that much in time. Plus different muscles engage when you're walking and give your running muscles a bit of a break. After meeting with all these folks, went to packet pickup at the Clarion Hotel nearby. Once I got my bib number, it's now very real that I'm doing this the next day.

Scott said he'd pick me up in the morning as first of all, I probably won't feel like driving back (although I only live 9 miles from the start)and second of all, it will be easier if he just gets my support bag the morning of the race. This seemed like a good idea and gave me more time to get my support bag together. Those of you who have done Ironman competitions are used to putting "stuff" in your Special Needs bags. Well, the same is true here. I had a bag for extra clothes, one for medications/first aid, another for food/comfort items, and finally one for after the race. A couple of items that I thought would work well for me later in the race were chocolate covered Espresso beans and a sponge to wipe away sweat. I also premixed 3 water bottles with a carbohydrate/electrolyte/caffeine mixture that I thought would keep me going well between each major crew location. Now for the first part of the race on the AT, I would use my Camelback with just the electrolytes/caffeine. I had been training myself on slow, steady efforts not to take in any carbs and rely on water/electrolytes during the first 3 hours. After that, I could rely on mostly liquid with a few gels. This worked well in training and so would use the same strategy the next day. Bags packed, clothes are laid out, and as ready as I'm ever going to get.

It's race day….4:20 AM wakeup. Grab coffee, fix some breakfast, and then get dressed. Now, due to the injury to my left foot/shin, I had decided to tape the area to give it more support. I tested this while running previously and it worked quite well. I had tried a full ankle brace, but this bit into my Achilles area as well as the bottom of my foot, whereas the tape was pretty smooth. I had told Scott that I'd probably remove this before starting the C&O section. Scott arrives prior to 6 and we get going. One thing that Scott didn't tell me which turns out didn't make a difference was that we were heading straight to the Start Line in Boonsboro. There was a pre-race meeting that I thought I was to be at, but Terry, Brad, and Scott all said it was unnecessary. So we hung out waiting for the "pace" car and other runners to arrive. Meet Brad and Jenn shortly thereafter and I get a "Before" picture taken.

Event warmup:

Didn't really do one as I thought I could pretty much warm up on the first 2.5 miles before having to power walk up the mountain. That should be enough of a warm up to get me going for the Appalachian Trail. Probably should've stretched the quads though.
Run
  • 9h 36m 33s
  • 50 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

The countdown starts – 1 MINUTE! Tick..tick…tick…..and….BANG! The starting gun goes off! The big gaggle of runners takes off. Now me, I'm just kinda coasting along here and just moving along while most of the pack goes ahead. And unfortunately, I have to pause longer than I'd like for some….um…personal reasons ;-) Well, come up to the base of the mountain and start power walking. While doing this started up a conversation with a guy out here from Kansas City to at least up to the top. Then we said our goodbyes and headed on down the AT. I am understandably a bit nervous but this also isn't a rough section of the trail for this first mile. Come to a hill and walk as per the plan. Cross Reno Monument Road and now we're on the road leading up to Lamb's Knoll. And "up" is the word as there are at least 2 significant hills plus some minor ones here. Strike up another conversation with a guy who lives near Dulles VA, I think, and we talk about different parts of the course. But I leave him as I get running on a flatter section. We finally reach the top, go around the communications facility and we're at White Rocks Cliff. Okay, from my training runs, I know this is 41 minutes from Gathland State Park. Problem is, there wasn't this Conga Line of people in front of me to deal with. And I found it was actually more difficult here and there as if you got too close, you lost concentration on the trail and obstacles. BTW, did I mention all the LEAVES hiding the obstacles! I swear, the roots, branches, logs, etc just reached out and grabbed folks' shoes who were ahead of me as they tripped. I tripped once somewhere here but recovered before I went down. That was the only problem I had on the AT section, thank goodness. Others weren't as lucky as there were folks with swollen and bloodied areas as well as bad sprains. That's why I wanted off the AT and why I was going so slow. Somewhere along here, struck up a conversation with George, a student from North Carolina and gave him some intel about the rest of the course. Well, we passed both of the rock gardens without incident and finally it was obvious we were headed down into Gathland SP. I told George that we're close when we see the red signs cautioning folks about something and just then, they appeared on the trees. We came to the descent part of this section coming down to the park and you could just hear the cowbells and folks going crazy as runners came into view and moved through this area. As I got onto the grassy section for the runners, I looked and then found Jenn in the crowd and handed off my fleece vest to her. It had really started to get quite warm and I removed my gloves and hat as well and put them in the vest. Crossed the road and started the second section of 6.5 miles along the AT. Timer said 1h 52min I think, which was 40 min from the cut off time of 2h 30min.

Most of this part isn't necessarily difficult but there are a good number of rocks under the leaves as well as logs and branches, all rather innocuous until you trip on something and go down. So, again, being careful here and also getting in the Conga Line while walking on the hills. Every now and then I'd pass folks which proved to be difficult because the trail's a bit narrow and also there's more debris on the left side. Kinda like having only 1 lane plowed on a 2-lane road after it's snowed. One gal in front of me goes down after hitting a log. She's not badly hurt and her companion comes to her aid. See them a bit later. I continue to strike up conversations and listening to folks as we all try to maintain concentration on the trail. One can't really look at the scenery when running here or else you'd just trip over everything. The last major rocky area shows up along with a steady downhill and I know we're close to Weverton Cliffs which start the switchbacks down to the Weverton crew/spectator area. Gosh, let's NOT trip here please!! Again, I'm without incident and we see the sign and volunteer marking the switchback area. About 20 min to get down here and it's very slow speeds considering people and the winding, steep trail we're on. FINALLY, reach the bottom to a throng of cheering people! Look for my crew and find Terry who helps me to a waiting chair to sit a spell. Scott, Terry, and Jenn all work at getting me going – shoes changed, timing chip reattached, base layer shirt removed, visor/sunglasses on, exchange Camelback for my water bottle belt, electrolytes, and gels, plus wipe the dried sweat off my face with the wet sponge I brought. Kinda like a racing car pit crew, I'm telling ya. Done and head out to start the C&O portion of the course. I reached Weverton in 3:31, about a half hour longer than I expected but well within the cutoff time of 4 hours 30 minutes. Next time I'd see my crew is 12 miles later at Antietam.

Now folks who have done this race either like the AT and not the C&O or vice versa. Can you guess which I like better? Yeah, now I can cruise along on the flat C&O towpath. Pace here picked up immediately to a 10 min/mile (or better) and a lot easier to just pass folks here of course as the towpath is about 10 feet wide. While I'm feeling pretty good overall, my quads are unfortunately sore already and they're actually threatening to cramp a bit. I may be down on electrolytes and I immediately took a few more in addition to my bottle mixture. This helped but didn't relieve the sore feeling too much. So, I just pushed through this. We start the C&O portion around mile post 58 and this goes on to a half mile beyond MP 84. Many folks don't like this part because it's flat and somewhat the same all along the way. But, I find things to look at like cliffs, the river, golden leaves on the trees still, and also talk to some people here and there. Many people use a run/walk strategy here as in run for several minutes and then walk for a few less. Saw folks were using this strategy here and there. I would do it if I had in order to finish. But, what I decided to do was to set my countdown timer every half hour to take in electrolytes, drink, and possibly take a gel. I'd walk through these periods, even if I just walked through an aid station.

At MP 61, we pass Harper's Ferry and not too long after this, we come to the first aid station. There's club member Christine Matzko handing out water to the runners! Christine is saying I'm looking good and offers words of encouragement as I move through the aid station. I briefly say "Thanks!" and that my legs are bothering, but as I don't need anything here and literally have to run ( ;-) ), I don't stop to chat (which is unfortunate cuz I kinda wanted to). Now, the line of folks is starting to get more strung out and as I'm feeling pretty good, I'm passing a good number. Oh, to be sure folks pass me too. But, I think I'm doing more passing than the other way around. There's at least one more aid station here but I just grabbed some water and half of that was to wash my face a bit.

Pass MP 69 and I know that Antietam is just up ahead. Can hear the crowd of folks and it's like the Tour de France with folks lined up along the towpath to glance at their runner and to offer others encouragement. And those nice words are thrown at me as well which boosts my spirits a bit. One guy is dressed up like a Queen or Fairy Princess and I didn't ask anything but did later and will mention that in a bit. Another is dressed like a priest and selling Last Rites for I think $2. Well, didn't need those today just yet ;-). I'm looking for my crew but first Anne from the Ft Detrick Fitness Center is yelling my name from the sidelines! She's done JFK in the past but didn't get in this year. So she's supporting a few folks at some of the crew/spectator areas. She was really saying how well I looked and just really happy to see me. I was glad to see her as well and let her know that I was looking for my support crew. Along the way, grabbed some warm noodle soup and gulped that down. Then saw Scott and Jenn up ahead. Pit crew goes into action again – fresh mixed bottle. Advil and Aspercreme for my legs, chocolate-covered Espresso beans (YUM!), gels, electrolytes, and water. I'm off and running again and will see them at Taylor's Landing which is approximately 11 miles ahead.

At this point, I am beyond my training distance of 27 miles and soon after I look at my watch and I'm into the 5 hour mark. I briefly think about the 23 miles and 4 hours+ I have to still do, but shove that away as it will just wear on me mentally.

Now I have to admit, I can't remember where what I describe next was. It was either as I came into Antietam or beyond Snyder's Landing but before Taylor's Landing. But, as I came into one of the aid stations here, there were signs welcoming us to the North Pole! The aid station volunteers all had reindeer antlers on and Santa Claus was there to greet us as well. If I had thought about it, I would've wished for fresh quads to run on. But, probably would've had to wait until Christmas ;-)

I think somewhere before Taylor's Landing, I passed an older gentleman who had this on his calf "JFK #23". OMG! I told him that was just super and let him know it was my first. He said you just have to keep moving and I told him I was trying. Also after Antietam, I met Laren who was from the DC area (Silver Spring to be exact). Think she said she's done this before and I said this was my first. She commented that I seemed to be doing well and I said thanks but my quads are having some difficulty. Stuck with her for a while but she paused a while longer at an aid station than I was going to. Waited a bit but moved on after I didn't see her start running.

Now I thought the crowds thus far were big and loud. They were nothing compared to the greeting that awaited the runners at Taylor's Landing (38 miles into the course)! What a crowd lining the canal towpath! I mean it must've stretched for a quarter mile if not a bit more! Plenty of words of encouragement here with lots of folks calling out my number while saying how good I was looking. And except for my quads, I was feeling really good too! Again, looked for my crew and found Scott and folks in the middle of the crowds lining the towpath. He almost missed me because Brad of all things was there! Brad had been looking for a sub-9 but if he's here, he's definitely having problems which Scott confirmed. Pitt crew stop again and once again, I'm off and running. Once again, I saw the guy dressed up like a Fairy and ask if he could grant me a new set of legs. His says "Your wish is granted". Hmm, they sure still felt the same. ;-)

Unfortunately for Brad, I caught up and passed him a bit later. I asked what's wrong and he basically says "you name it". He's having bad cramping problems nearly everywhere. I slowed for a moment to offer some encouragement, but then pressed on ahead.

A half mile beyond MP 84, we have finally come to conclusion of the C&O portion of the run. At the aid station ahead, we are given safety vests as we're now getting on the last 8.5 miles of the course which is on the road the rest of the way. Though that's like 1:40+ left, I've covered 41.5 miles now and knowing this gives me the mental toughness to press on. The only issue is that you have to go uphill here to initially get out of the Potomac River valley where the canal is at. So, powerwalking again here at times. Mile markers now line the road so folks know how many miles are left. So, I look at my watch and think I should be done around 4:40 PM. That's within my expected finish and I'll be able to finish in the daylight. The next aid station is playing some sort of Latin music and I think, so where was this on the Appalachian Trail in the Conga Line? ;-) Somewhere beyond here, Laren comes up from behind saying "Hi Dave". She's afraid of not being able to run if she walks the hills and continues to press up the one I'm walking. I do understand, though, as it has been INCREASINGLY difficult to start back up again once I start walking. Quads just complain each time I do this. But, still find a way to get my legs going into a run. Laren also reminds me that I should be able to get a bit of relief when I meet my crew at the last major crew/spectator stop in up ahead, mile 46 into the course. Sure enough, there's the throng of folks at the intersection where we turn onto Route 632 and so I'm looking for my crew. But…don't see them and they don't see me! I think perhaps they're up ahead a ways more. But, it doesn't happen. Dang. I really wanted my sponge and perhaps a few more beans. Oh well. Soon after I give up looking when the 3 mile marker comes up. Right after this I run out of my drink mix and I don't think I have anymore gels (I do, but not where I though they should be). Now, after I made the turn, I knew where I was as this is part of a favorite bike route I ride sometimes. So, after the 2 miles to go marker, I'm starting to get fired up as I am very much aware what to look for now. And fortunately, there's a last aid station just before 1.5 miles to go. I take a few M&Ms plus water. Then I decide as I round the turn onto route 63 to call Scott. A very concerned Scott asks what's wrong. I tell him nothing and that I'm 1.5 miles from finishing. A second or two of silence and Scott then tells me that Brad and others behind him have come in at the spectator/crew support area at mile 46 (I was at mile 48.5) and they were worried that something happened to me as I was ahead of Brad and the others and they hadn't seen me yet. But Scott says he'll try to get to the finish as soon as he can. Well, I'll be at the finish in about 15 min or maybe less if can get a bit of speed at the end.

Coming down a slight hill, I see the last mile marker ahead after going under I-81. Cross a street to turn right onto another and then it curves right marking the last part to the finish line. As I round this bend in the road, I can now see the finish line arch and hear the loudspeaker announcing others who are finishing ahead of me. And emotion of joy is starting to hit me! It's then that I start to press and pour on a bit of speed. I'm doing well enough to pass several people near the end. And it's here that club member Karen Hite sees me and cheers me on to the finish. As my name is called over the loudspeaker, I throw up my arms in triumph with a resounding "YEAH!" as I cross the Finish Line!!! I've completed my 50 mile ultramarathon journey!!

What would you do differently?:

I should've realized that the initial trail training I got for my quads would not be there for the most part after 4 weeks of not trail running due to my injury and should've compensated for that somehow. Maybe stair steppers, the climber, or step aerobics. Anything to stress them and not lose the training prior to my injury during a trail run in late Oct.
Post race
Warm down:

Nice volunteers drape a fabulous medal over my neck, give me water, and take my timing chip. I move to the end of the chute and Karen is there with a big hug! I really appreciated the cheering and that! Check my watch and stopped it at 9 hours 37 minutes and some seconds. So, I know it was under that and would later see my results. We walk around to watch others as I wait for Scott and the crew to find me. I'm afraid to sit down for fear of not getting up again and so just stand. Matter of fact, after Scott finds me and as I get dry clothes on, Karen is holding me up while Scott takes off the tape around my left foot. Slip into my nice warm soft bedroom slippers…Aaaaahhh! Scott also gets me what I really wanted afterwards – a carton of chocolate milk…YUM! Karen, Scott, and Terry talk to me a bit going over the race and also making sure I'm okay. Club member Linda Cronise joins us a bit later and she gives me a hug too! She was following online a bit as unbeknownst to me, they were posting split times online. Soon thereafter, Karen and Linda walk me over to the school to get some food. It's slow going with my quads now in complete rebellion. But, I slowly make my way there and grab some food. They had burritos from Moe's there and this just hit the spot. There was pizza too but I can never stomach it after a race. Cookies, chips, coke, and some coffee. I met Jennifer Plevinski who had a good day too coming in at under 9 hours. Once Karen and Linda knew I was okay, they said goodbyes as it was getting a bit late. Linda wanted to see others finish too. I meet up with Brad and Jenn who are sitting and congratulate him on finishing. Asked him what happened and he said he just had cramping all over for some reason, but that's how it goes. Met up with Scott soon after and we hit the road back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely my quads getting sore so soon.

Event comments:

The JFK 50 is very well supported and organized event. As it did for me, it can give one a very successful introduction to the world of ultramarathon. It's akin to a full Ironman in that it's more about endurance vs speed, though the top folks have both. And also you need to put in the time to train for the distance. As you may expect, my quads are complaining the day after and probably will for at least a few more days. But I learned that if I ever do another and get injured along the way, but still have time to prepare that I'll need to compensate for the lack of trail running so my quads are up to speed come race day.

Thus ends my 2010 season and on a pretty high note I'd say. Will I do this again? Perhaps. It truly is an accomplishment in terms of endurance given the distance and varying terrain. And like many endurance events, it tests your physical as well as mental abilities that you'll encounter along the way. It may especially test your mental ability to go on though something physical may be crying to stop. You just have to be ready to overcome the physical with mental toughness unless the physical just prohibits you from going on. But first, I would like to do a full Ironman distance event next season or the one after.

Last updated: 2010-07-02 12:00 AM
Running
09:36:33 | 50 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/167
Overall: 313/1014
Performance: Good
Splits 2.5 miles 33:46 13:30 pace 15.5 miles 3:31:40 13:41 pace for 13 miles 41.5 miles 8:07:27 10:29 pace for 26.3 miles Finish 9:36:33 10:52 pace for 8.2 miles (though this may be 10:36 for 8.4 miles)
Course: The course is a point-to-point starting in Boonsboro, MD. It goes along Alt 40 up South Mountain where runners then connect with the Appalachian Trail. Now because this one section of the trail is quite difficult, runners get to go along the road for 2 miles that leads up to Lambs Knoll. Still, plenty of rock hopping along the Appalachian Trail and ups/downs for runners to overcome. From there, follow the Appalachian Trail to Weverton Cliffs, follow narrow switchbacks down to Weverton and hook up with the C&O Canal Towpath. Then, it's a flat marathon distance along the C&O to Dam #4 Road. The last 8.5 miles are along roads which are rolling and finally finishing in Williamsport MD at Spring Middle School.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-23 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: JFK 50 Mile

2010-11-23 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3224121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: RE: JFK 50 Mile
Great job Dave!!!

Sorry I didn't get the opportunity to meet you. 

This will give you a great physical and mental base for going into Ironman training.  I did JFK in just over 10hrs and both of my IM have been just over 14hrs. But those 14 hours are broken up into three different sets of muscles which does make a big difference.

Take care of those quads and enjoy your Thanksgiving.
2010-11-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3224183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
jkholden - 2010-11-23 9:26 PM

Great job Dave!!!

Sorry I didn't get the opportunity to meet you. 

This will give you a great physical and mental base for going into Ironman training.  I did JFK in just over 10hrs and both of my IM have been just over 14hrs. But those 14 hours are broken up into three different sets of muscles which does make a big difference.

Take care of those quads and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Thanks Judy! Yeah, I might've actually been near the finish when you and Carrie came across as I was waiting around for my crew and then just standing there while I was getting other clothes on, plus my foot tape off. Kinda looked around in the gym where the food was for you guys as I was there for some time. But, not having met you or Carrie, I wasn't sure how to really spot you.

Well congrats yourself and I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving too! You've reached a major point in your ultra journey and I wish you the best of luck if you do Umstead!
2010-11-24 5:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Awesome race report.  I saw that guy with #23 on his leg - that is very cool!  I really enjoyed this event.  It is interesting to see another's take on it.  Let me ask you this...if you didn't get injured and continued your trail run training do you think you still would have enjoyed the towpath section better?  Just wondering.  I REALLY enjoyed the AT section - I was in love with it.

Enjoy your off season and your Thanksgiving - Maybe we can spot each other at Eagleman this upcoming year :-)

2010-11-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3224314

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
carrie1 - 2010-11-24 6:29 AM

Awesome race report.  I saw that guy with #23 on his leg - that is very cool!  I really enjoyed this event.  It is interesting to see another's take on it.  Let me ask you this...if you didn't get injured and continued your trail run training do you think you still would have enjoyed the towpath section better?  Just wondering.  I REALLY enjoyed the AT section - I was in love with it.

Enjoy your off season and your Thanksgiving - Maybe we can spot each other at Eagleman this upcoming year :-)

Thanks! Yeah, I think I would've enjoyed it more, but I think I also would've enjoyed the AT more. I was being overly cautious though moving okay on the AT. Prior to the injury, I never hesitated along the trails I ran and had a great time on the trails in the Green Ridge State Forest. Matter of fact, though I was being a little careful, I was enjoying the last trail run I had on the AT too. So, I think I might have been able to do the C&O a bit faster had my legs not been so sore and enjoyed it more as I wouldn't have been steeling myself against the discomfort I was feeling pretty much from the first mile on.

I'm heading back out for the medium runs during the "Off" season as I've pretty much rediscovered my enjoyment for running. To be sure, I'll still be doing the other disciplines, but I'll be getting out for runs more often than I had been previously. Hopefully some trail runs too. There are other trails nearby that I've hiked and I should do some of those too this winter/spring.

I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving too and hopefully we'll get the chance to meet at Eagleman! I'll be checking in from time to time.
2010-12-13 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Great race report and QUITE an accomplishment!  Congratulations!  Sounds like you had a lot of fun along the way with the other people and those who were in costumes!  Running races really are fun because of the comaraderie.

So glad you made it through with no trips, spills, or injuries.

Well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JFK 50 Mile Rss Feed