Tempe, Arizona
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 12h 50m 28s
Overall Rank = 1051/2700
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 140/270
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in Tempe on Thursday afternoon, checked into hotel, unpacked, and reassembled my bike. Friday consisted of checking in, body marking, driving the course, buying bike accessories/nutrition, and running through my bags. I woke up multiple times on friday night with a severe sore throat - not a good feeling. Saturday was mostly relaxing, hydrating, and taking in a ton of vitamin c - hoping to kick this sore throat - no luck. Woke up around 4 am on race morning, drank a small cup of coffee, ate a pbj, and drove to the race site. parking was great!!! I spent some time dropping off my sn bags, and adding things to my bike, and transition bags. As I made my way to the swim start, I went to put my goggles on, and my strap BROKE!!!!! I felt an overwhelming sense of doom, but settled down and tied a knot to hold it in place, and hoped for the best. Jumped in the water and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

not much of a warm up, just "bobbing" in the water.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 11s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was an incredible experience. I was expecting a 1:08 based off of my training paces, but the mass start threw me off of my stroke. This was the largest OWS I have participated in and the roughest. I was kicked, elbowed, run over - I also kicked, elbowed and ran over - nothing intentional. I found it interesting that on a couple of occasions, I was drafting and "touching toes", and the person appeared to try and kick me!!! Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I guess push a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 07m 21s
Comments:

This was the first triathlon I have done in 2+ years, and the first IM distance, so I didn't really know what to expect. When I first ran in, I noticed volunteers helping everyone, so I am thinking - this is going to be awesome - WRONG. I had no help!!! I have complete respect and admiration for the volunteers, but it was apparent that some were not interested in helping, just there to punch the clock for an IMAZ slot. ATTENTION: I AM THANKFUL FOR ALL OF THE VOLUNTEERS!!!

more experience, practice a little more,
Bike
  • 6h 06m 46s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I have trained all year in windy conditions, and this was right up my alley. I was looking forward to great conditions as IMAZ has been known for, but no luck there either. Regardless, I maintained my pacing/nutrition plan. The bike was fairly uneventful for me, but the weather cut into my overall race goal of sub 12.

nothing.
Transition 2
  • 07m 48s
Comments:

I really took my time. I sat and took a breather, changed my garmin, took in some nutrition, and = I stopped to talk to my wife and expressed my frustration with the weather - she though I flatted!!!!

move with more urgency??
Run
  • 5h 15m 22s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew my overall time goal was a far shot. The run is by far my weakest, despite great improvement with my training. I felt confident with my bike pacing that I could execute a solid IM marathon for my abilities. I kept a great pace for the first 13 miles, then things started to fall apart. My plan was to pace the run to finish the last 10K strong. With that in mind, I slowed it down, took in nutrition, and really took it all in. It was then I accepted my failure to meet my time goal, but realized what an incredible accomplishment it was to complete an IM. When I completed the second loop, I decided to put things back together and pick it up. I cruised for miles 19 and 20, then dropped the hammer (relatively speaking) for the last 10K. I drank coke at the last aid stations, which seemed to help. When I arrived at the last mile, I felt great. The crowd was amazing.

not sure - longer training session
Post race
Warm down:

pizza, chicken, fries!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

limited training season.

Event comments:

I signed up for IMAZ while deployed to Afghanistan. It was a rough deployment. I came home in June, went on leave for a month, and started training in mid July. The training was a great stress relief and "wind down" from the deployment. With that said, I had high expectation for myself, but going from no S/B/R for over a year, then going straight to IM distance in 4.5 months might have been a little much. With that said, I gained a great amount of knowledge for racing at this distance. I can now take this fitness/knowledge and build for my next IM. - I really hope to come back to IMAZ in the future - maybe 2012???

Last updated: 2009-11-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:11 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 113/270
Overall: 765/2700
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:06:46 | 112 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 97/270
Overall: 725/2700
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loops, out and back
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:15:22 | 26.2 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 140/270
Overall: 1051/2700
Performance: Average
Course: loop x 3
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-23 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2010-11-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3224141

User image

Regular
OKC
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Congrats on finishing your Ironman!  Good report!
2010-11-23 9:40 PM

User image

Sorry to hear we could not help you in the T1 tent...our Mens changing tent team worked 12+ hours on Sunday to try to service all the athletes the best we could.  Excellent result.
2010-11-26 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Congratulations Ironman!

That must have been real tough when your goggles broke.  Way to stay tough and battle through it.

The conditions were definitely rough out there, especially on the bike.  That's a solid bike split.

Thank you so much for serving our country!  You did a fantastic job especially considering the lack of time you had to train.
2010-11-28 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats Ironman! I enjoyed your RR
2010-12-01 10:17 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Wow, lots of things thrown at you during the race, but way to push through!! Looking forward to CdA.  We'll definitely link up there!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed