Glenview Park Center
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 26s
Overall Rank = 207/305
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 18/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and packed up my transition pack in the morning. I usually get everything done the evening before, but I had a bit of drama with my bike (more on that later) and I just decided to go to bed. I felt a little rushed, messing with my water bottles and everything. Unintentionally did a bit of a warmup by running up and down the stairs several time messing with my laundry :) Ate a bagel with peanut butter and had 3 glasses of water.

Not relevant to the race, but thought I'd put it here anyway. I MUST be at transition when it first opens. I'm picky about where I want my stuff, so I sacrifice sleep to get there first. Well, I just want to shout out there that every damn time I get up at 4:30 or so to get to transition bright and early, there is always some idiot 20-something guy coming back from a bar, intoxicated to hell. Not a fun way for me to start a race. On my way to this race, some drunk moron decided to veer all the way over across 3 lanes of traffic so he could do a U-turn. He ran me off the road in the process, and 2 of my water bottles broke all over the cab of my truck. Luckily, I was able to get a gallon jug from the kind volunteers to refill them, but I lost my ice. I was so upset from the incident that I don't think my heart rate came back down to normal until right before I started my race. I am wondering if any other triathletes have to deal with this on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching. This was a fun start, as they started by estimated swim times. I'm a weak swimmer, so I started at the back of the pack. I spent a lot of time talked with first timers, which was fun. Lots of stretching, but it was too hot for me to do a lot of warmup.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 328 yards
  • 03m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was not a chip timed race. I estimate that I took about 12 minutes. The person before me did not show up, so there was a 40 second gap between me and the next swimmer, which helped me. Despite tons of instructions during the day of the race, there were still people who chose to pass in the middle of the lane, basically blocking the people coming in the other directions. This was a real leisurely race, but I would have liked to see people DQed for this. Yeah, it sucks you get stuck behind people slower than you, but you don't have to wait any longer than 25 meters. I got banged out of my lane by some guy trying to get around a girl going the other direction in the lane. Not very fun.

I am a horrible swimmer, and I think I did OK here. The one thing I should have done was practiced flip turns. I always felt that flip turns really give unfair momentum and rest time when turning around in what is supposed to be an endurance race, so I assumed they would not be allowed here (especially when so many people were in the pool at once). However, I was caught off guard.
What would you do differently?:

I forgot to zip my tri suit all the way up to my neck, and probably created a bit of drag. Oops.

Practice my flip turns.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time here, as I was not sure what to expect when I jumped onto the bike. Actually had to sit down to put on my shoes. Fumbled a bit with the helmet. All in all, not good.

Nothing. I'm slow, and an extra minute in transition isn't going to change that.
Bike
  • 35m
  • 10 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, didn't know what to expect here. When doing a 15 minute bike ride on Saturday morning, my front derailuer got hosed - I got stuck on the small ring and couldn't get it up. I fiddled with it for 10 minutes before realizing that I couldn't fix it without someone telling me what to do, so I took it to my (soon to be ex-) favorite bike shop. I explained the situation - I have a flat course, I can't shift up, I know Saturdays are busy, so if you can spend 5 minutes, I'd appreciate it. Lots of attitude from the owner of the shop. Really rude to me. I try to keep calm, since I'm asking a favor. Long story short, they wanted me to leave the bike, they'd get to it if they could. I said that I understand that, but please understand my situation. If you can't get to it, please be honest with me. I'd hold no grudges, but it would enable me to get it fixed elsewhere. The owner huffed and walked away. Finally, I got the attention of another person working in the back and he took the bike. I asked that he call me ASAP if he couldn't get to it.

In the evening on Saturday, I had not heard from anyone, so I went to the shop to get my bike. Wish I had called earlier, but I just felt it was good karma to give them a chance to fix it. They said it was done and charged me $25 and gave me my bike back. After fighting to get it in my truck, I elected to leave it there overnight since it was getting late and I still had a lot of other work to do at home. Big mistake.

In the morning, I realized it was geared up really high. I removed it from the rack at the race site and tried to down shift, and it did not feel right. Nasty sounds and stiffness when I tried to shift. I racked the bike and decided I'd deal with it the best I could. I ended up only having access to 3 gears on the middle ring (not sure what the bike shop did to the rear derailuer, as it was working properly before). My bike computer also was no longer working, so I was in trouble here. I really wanted to do an 18.5mph pace, but I had to wing it.

My time is a pure guess, without my computer.

I'm not sure what I should have done differently, but this obviously didn't work. No matter how late, test your bike when you get it back from the shop. Also, if I'm in a situation where I need the help of a local vendor again and they are so rude, I'll walk out. It was stress before the race I didn't need, and it turned out to be stress for a valid purpose.

I hope my ankle problems heal soon so I can feel more comfortable using cycling shoes. I did this race again on platform pedals on my running shoes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I am always welcomed back to transition by someone who had shown up at the empty rack and throw their bike over my stuff. Oh well. It is a race, and I guess people don't always pay attention. I put my bike elsewhere, grabbed extra gels, and jogged to the water table. Grabbed 2 glasses to carry with me. I did very well here, blowing past everyone I came into T2 with. Not having to change shoes improves your time :)

Nothing
Run
  • 35m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I missed my goal of a 9.5 minute mile pace, but that may have been over ambitious. Considering that I have terrible ankle problems, bowed knees, and am flatfoot, I don't think I did too bad :)

Run faster! It was a short bike and a short swim, so I had more energy than I usually do when I hit the run. Could have used it more effectively.
Post race
Warm down:

walked slowly, drank some water and ate a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slow and not in the best shape this summer. But overall, I'm not unhappy with my performance. My goal was 7 minutes faster, but without having individual segment times, it's hard to say what went wrong

Event comments:

This was a fun little race meant for the community. It's a nice change of pace from some of the larger races.

Last updated: 2005-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 328 yards | 03m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/305
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: This was in a 6 lane, jr. olympic pool. You started 20 seconds after the previous swimmer, and just did 12 lenghts, snaking under the ropes. Lots of rules about when you could pass someone (tap them on the ankle and they must step back at the end of the lap).
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:35:00 | 10 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: 2 loops around neighborhood streets. Course was still open, but there were plenty of volunteers and cops holding traffic. But there were the families who were going to church first thing on Sunday morning and some of them were JERKS! I had a car get up about 1/2 a bike length from my rear tire for almost 1/2 mile. It made me nervous and I was frustrated and I told him to get off my tail, and I didn't use very nice church going words. I scared a couple of cyclists I passed while doing this. If they are reading this, sorry. I'm really not mean. I just don't like my safety being jeopardized by someone who is impatient.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Course: looped around a lake then came back again. No shade on the course, but luckily some clouds rolled in by the time I started my run. A couple of very nasty hills (well, nasty by Chicagoland's normally flat standard).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes