Ironman North America
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 52m 39s
Overall Rank = 823/2645
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 92/291
Pre-race routine:

For three days prior I trained with Team Fraser over various parts of the course, which was very helpful and a nice confidence builder. Swimming in the ocean with 3-4 foot waves and lightning prior to race day made the race much easier.(in the mind anyway )
I woke up at 4 am, had 2 mini bagels and 2 packs of oatmeal. Walked down to Body marking and gear drop off with Steve and Trish. Forgot compression sleeves and Steve(my Sherpa) ran back and got them for me.(first of many gear snafu's).
Got marked and checked bike and gear bags, aired tires.Hung out with Team Fraser people and The Marshall's till the start of the race.
Event warmup:

Does Peeing in wet suit count ?
Swim
  • 1h 20m 8s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seated myself close to the front and the left, hoping this would keep me straight and able to draft. Goggles were knocked off three times and a foot square in the face,groped and pawed for pretty much the whole time.
Sighting was better until the last leg where it thinned out.
Circling the buoy's was a mad house.
What would you do differently?:

Pretty happy with all, the last leg needs some help sighting and endurance
Transition 1
  • 09m 40s
Comments:

Way to long, wet suit was peeled and gear retrieved pretty well. Did not go into changing tent, Changed outside, put on riding shorts over singlet.
Put on shoes and forgot socks. Normally don't ride with socks,but was going to because it was 40 degrees out. Did not become an issue. Put on helmet and glasses but forgot race belt. Turned bag into tent and ran away. Then realized I needed belt and went back to a stack of hundreds of bags. Luckily I Had set up an extra belt in my run bag. Called a volunteer over and had her get the number while I got my bike. When I got back she had it. That could have been much more time costly. Lesson learned.

T1 was a mad house, but I still should of gone in or at least took everything out of bag. Next time I will dump the bag,
Bike
  • 5h 56m 36s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was chilly to start, temps were in the forties and ended at about 60. Very crowded for the first theory or so miles, was passed by the fa sties but did my fair share of passing. Wanted to push harder on the bike and was close to goal at the end. I drank 1500 hundred calories of infinite and water. Ate one powerade performance bar at mile 54. Stopped to pee once at mile 70 and again in T2. Pretty happy with overall performance on bike. Not sure if it hurt my run?

Back off a little ? wanted a stronger performance on the run
Transition 2
  • 07m 1s
Comments:

Abdominal muscles were tight when I got off the bike, could not run very well. Volunteer took bike and I picked up run gear bag and went into T2. Found a chair, changed shoes and put on socks and hat. Forgot to take off riding shorts, Took them off when I came out of the restroom. I had on arm warmers, thought I would run with them on, till I started to run. Took them off leaving the start line, Gave them all to a Fraser fan to pick up later.

Need to check myself out more and not rush out the door
Run
  • 4h 19m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Started strong, first 10k was 8:30 pace slowed from there. First lap was good, heart rate was getting to me. Just felt to high. Wanted to run the whole thing but decided to walk a few aid stations, and the walks lasted longer and longer.

Need to run slower in the beginning and negative split. Get tougher mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Through the chute, and onto food, massage and waiting for others to finish.
Was pretty chilly,showered and returned to the finish line for the end of the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental toughness and heart rate. Need to go deeper into the pain zone

Event comments:

Medal was very small and post race food marginal. Volunteers were great and the event ran well. Overall venue was OK

Last updated: 2009-11-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:08 | 4156 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 180/291
Overall: 1500/2645
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: A beach mass start, out 1000 yds, left into the sun and left back to the beach.Where you ran onto shore across timing mat and reentered the water for lap two.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 09:40
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:56:36 | 112 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 144/291
Overall: 1051/2645
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course was one loop with two out and backs. Hillier than I expected. Road was not bad. Very crowded first 30 miles. Winds were 10-20 with lots of gusts.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:19:15 | 26.2 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/291
Overall: 656/2645
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, two loops. Ran through downtown and a subdivision with a jaunt through a state park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes