General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you take on nutrition/hydrate on your long runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3225731

Regular
NorCal, near Lake Tahoe, Ca
Subject: RE: How do you take on nutrition/hydrate on your long runs?
I'm amazed that so many of you can go an hour before hydrating. I have to carry water for anything over 30 minutes. It's not hot here but the humidity runs about 25% or less so you burn through your body's water.

For shorter runs I wear an Amphipod belt with up to 4 bottles. If the run is around an hour I'll carry 3 water bottles and one sports drink. For runs 1 1/2 hours or over I have an Innov-8 fanny pack style hydration belt. I put water in the pack and attach one of the Amphipod holders with sports drink in the bottle.

2010-11-28 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3226995

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
Subject: RE: How do you take on nutrition/hydrate on your long runs?
Roadie gal - 2010-11-26 9:31 PM I'm amazed that so many of you can go an hour before hydrating. I have to carry water for anything over 30 minutes. It's not hot here but the humidity runs about 25% or less so you burn through your body's water. For shorter runs I wear an Amphipod belt with up to 4 bottles. If the run is around an hour I'll carry 3 water bottles and one sports drink. For runs 1 1/2 hours or over I have an Innov-8 fanny pack style hydration belt. I put water in the pack and attach one of the Amphipod holders with sports drink in the bottle.

I'm glad you posted this Roadie gal...I've been thinking the same thing!  I guess this thread shows how different climates and different athletes have different requirements for hydration and nutrition. 

Personally, I wear a 4 bottle fuelbelt for any run over 45 minutes and take Gu for anything over an hour.  Did a 18 mile long run yesterday and structured it for a bottle change at 9 miles.  carried 3 sports drink and 1 water for each 9 miles and drained them all.  Overkill...maybe.  But the latest research seems to indicate that you should drink when you are thirsty and my thirst begins pretty quickly after I start running.  Thanks for everyone's input on this!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you take on nutrition/hydrate on your long runs? Rss Feed  

of 2