General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF = Did Not Fail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-25 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: DNF = Did Not Fail
(At first, this looks like a race report. But it's not, it's something I wrote about my first IM experience and shared with my tri team, on a day dedicated to being thankful, I guess it's fitting)

It came to an end on a dark street in Panama City Beach. I lay crumpled on the ground in pain, my stop watch read 16:51 and I just passed mile marker 25. In the distance I could hear the cheer of the crowd and Mike Reilly's voice saying those wonderful words "...you are an Ironman." But, for this year at least, those words would not be for me.

Three days before the race, I hit the beach for a warm up swim. The Gulf's conditions were better suited to surfing than swimming, with six foot waves pushing me back to shore. The current pushed hard, so I found myself almost swimming in place. Not being a strong swimmer, I hoped it would calm down or I was in for a very short day.

One of the many aspects of Ironman is that you are expected to complete each discipline in a certain amount of time. You must complete the swim in two hours twenty minutes, for example. At the athletes meeting I memorized the cutoff times, I wanted to make certain that I made each of them.

All along I felt that if I could make it through the swim, I could make it the rest of the day. I awoke on race day to much calmer seas. It felt as if today would be my day. My wife, Robin, and daughter Alyss walked me down to the swim and gave me encouragement, I would take that with me for the rest of the day.

The current was still strong and pushed all but the strongest swimmers off course. I made the first 1.2 mile lap before the 1:15 cutoff. But, my second lap involved a diagonal swim against the current, which slowed me down. By the time I hit the shore I was only 5 minutes away from being eliminated. I had to be on my bike in 15 minutes or my day was over. I saw Robin at the beach cheering me on, it was a wonderful sight. I was in a bit disoriented coming out of the water, but quickly recovered.

The bike leg had some challenging points, mostly the 15 mile an hour winds would chill the bones and slow the bike. But finishing my bike with a strong split, I felt great going into the run. Coming out of the changing tent were Robin and Alyss taking pictures, it was going to be a great run, I could feel it.

I decided that a 15 minute mile would enable me to conserve energy and beat the remaining cut offs. As I set out on my run I was energized by all the people that came out to cheer us on. Most of them were locals and they really went all out, many of them in costumes or with cute signs. Things were right on track, until about mile 10. My back began to feel sore, I assumed it was just some fatigue and I kept pushing on. I made the first 13.1 mile lap and once again saw Robin's smiling face. She said to me "You got this!"

Then came mile 17, my back pain had become more pronounced and my 15 minute miles became 17-18 minutes. But, I still had plenty of time to finish. I'm not sure at what point it happened, but someone passed me and said "Are you all right?" I realized that I was completely bent over, trying to run. By mile 18 my lower back was in full spasm. Even as I tried to stand up, I couldn't. And every step was painful. But, I pressed on. I imagine I was quite a sight, walking bent over like a cave man. When I would pass aid stations they would say "Are you ok?" "Yep, I'm fine." But, I wasn't.

The course got darker, colder, and emptier and I moved slower and slower. The only thing that was increasing was the pain. I ticked off the miles...19...20...21...22. By mile 24 I was in complete pain, I couldn't run, I couldn't stand up, and I couldn't stop.

It was during those painful seven miles that I learned the most. I learned that I could handle anything that was thrown at me as long as I had the right attitude. On those dark lonely roads I learned that failure comes in not starting, not in not finishing. I realized how blessed I am to have an incredible family and a wonderful group of friends. I have been overwhelmed by love and support.

Until I hear the words "...you are an Ironman", this will remain unfinished business. I will try again and continue until I succeed in crossing the finish line. I view this day not as a failure to finish, but as a success to be built upon.

2010-11-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3225847

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: DNF = Did Not Fail
Hard day for sure.

Be proud that you trained, toed the line and did your best. Your mental toughness kept you going, your body couldn't continue.

I was there and raced, weather conditions made things bit challenging with the cold.

It was during those painful seven miles that I learned the most. I learned that I could handle anything that was thrown at me as long as I had the right attitude. On those dark lonely roads I learned that failure comes in not starting, not in not finishing. I realized how blessed I am to have an incredible family and a wonderful group of friends. I have been overwhelmed by love and support.

Great thought....we learn more through adversity than we do when things go as expected. Be proud of what you did accomplish even though it wasn't what you expected.
2010-11-25 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

It was a cold and windy day for sure.  You learned a lot for sure and I hope you see you there next year!!  You have already accomplished a lot more than those who never try............or tri   Congrats!!

2010-11-25 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

"failure comes in not starting, not in not "

This is the best part...  You will finish next time.

2010-11-25 9:20 AM

This is one of the most motivating things that I have read in quite some time. There was no quit in you. None at all. Ive had miniscule moments that you went through, but nothing like a 7-mile "come to Jesus" moment where you are going through severe physical and mental "issues".
Frankly, I hope that I never do, but I can only hope that I would handle it the way you did. With courage, and determination.

Rest, recover, and there is no doubt that you will get there. You have my admiration and respect. And Happy Thanksgiving!
2010-11-29 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
Thanks for all the positive comments. Maybe because I am not very fast I have always loved watching the back of the pack finish the race. And there were so many runners who passed me and said something nice, one fellow racer even stopped to rub my back. It was such an awesome experience that I couldn't help but come away feeling positive. I am disappointed I didn't finish of course, but not disappointed in the day.

My family was there and other than my wife, they had never seen a triathlon before. My son watched some of the pros and early finishers run people in. He said "I've never seen a competition like this before, it's like their biggest goal is not to win but to help others finish." I guess that is our sport in a nutshell. We are very competitive with ourselves, but so supportive of others.

2010-11-29 4:44 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Victory comes when you toe the start line.

Dude, you're made of iron, you're just waiting for Mr. Mike to tell you at the finish line. You'll make it.
2010-11-29 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Wow, I'm sitting here in my family room with tears streaming down my face. I, too, DNF'ed an Ironman. Two years ago it just wasn't my day in Tempe, AZ. I started to get sick right off the bike and ended up heading to the ER after the 112 miles. Turns out I had hyponutremia. I have always referred to it jokingly as my "Ironfailure". Even though, I'm joking when I say it, part of me really feels that way.

Never again....nope...never again will the term "Ironfailure" come out of my mouth. Just the fact that I swam 2.4 miles and rode 112 miles sick as a dog is a major accomplishment in itself.

Thanks for this....
2010-11-29 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Wow, I'm sitting here in my family room with tears streaming down my face. I, too, DNF'ed an Ironman. Two years ago it just wasn't my day in Tempe, AZ. I started to get sick right off the bike and ended up heading to the ER after the 112 miles. Turns out I had hyponutremia. I have always referred to it jokingly as my "Ironfailure". Even though, I'm joking when I say it, part of me really feels that way.

Never again....nope...never again will the term "Ironfailure" come out of my mouth. Just the fact that I swam 2.4 miles and rode 112 miles sick as a dog is a major accomplishment in itself.

Thanks for this....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF = Did Not Fail Rss Feed