XDog Events
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 00m 27s
Overall Rank = 96/156
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 12/18
Pre-race routine:

I performed my normal pre race routine of Tylenol, Advil, Gatorade, Power Bar and a breakfast sandwich at specified times. This has worked well for me in the past and I will continue to do this.
Event warmup:

Pre race I spent more time trying to stretch out my right Achilles than to actually warm up. Eventually I went on a short run with some faster strides. As with my cool downs I need to get a workable routine going. I will be more confident doing this once I get my Achilles feeling better.
Run
  • 1h 00m 27s
  • 5.88 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Rene and I started near the middle of the pack. On our way to the start of the trail portion we passed about as many people as passed me. Until the first mile marker everyone was running together. The single track started spreading people out. Once in the rocks runners thinned out even more. I lost contact with Rene at the creek crossing. I was working hard for the first two miles but at some point and lost focus. I don’t know how much I slowed because I left my heart monitor and there were not mile markers to mark splits. Once I realized I was breathing a little too easy I tried to pick it up. At one point I did get back to a border line side stitch but I had lost my edge and about 5 minutes on Rene.
What would you do differently?:

What would I do differently? This is something I always ask myself after one of Kevin’s races. I don’t think I really want to train specifically for an XDog Event. I think I am content to use them as a fitness test and have fun with them.
Post race
Warm down:

There was little to no warm down after the race. I know for next day discomfort this is something I need to work on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I believe that my strained Achilles tendon in my left foot and a pulled hamstring in my right leg limited my ability to go faster all other things being equal. There was some discomfort but not what I would call hampering. Specific 10k training vice 5K training would have helped me take a minute or two off my time. The race distance was almost double what I have spent the last 8 weeks training for.
Other than the first half to ¾ miles of the race I really wasn’t passed much in this race. Probably no more that 5 people passed me and they were at different points in the race. It wasn’t like 5 people passed on a hill or anything.

Event comments:

The course was challenging by distance and by steep short rise and fall nature of the lower course. Then factor in the rocks, brush and hornets to making it very challenging since basically I have been training for 5k’s the last two months. The post race activates were held in a Pizza Parlor. Considering this is November it makes sense. I am fonder of the outdoor post race celebration. Pizza and Beer are seldom bad so I would give it big thumbs up.

Last updated: 2010-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:27 | 05.88 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 96/156
Performance: Average
Course: The course was basically 2 ½ counter clockwise loops around Mary Young Park. You started at the large parking lot, work your way back to the entrance by road then turn left on the further most trail looping around the outside of the park. At about the halfway point you drop down the hill to the river. The river section is rocky with thorns and one small stream crossing. Once you climb back up the hill there are a couple short steep rollers to keep you from getting bored. The remainder of the loop is fairly level thru the trees. What made this year even more exciting were the stirred up hornets in a log next to the trail. Someone upset them early in the first loop leaving runners to get stung. I took a sting to my right elbow. All in all a very challenging 5.88 miles course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No