General Discussion Race Reports! » Father Joe's Thanksgiving Day 5k Run/Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Father Joe's Thanksgiving Day 5k Run/Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Father Joe's
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 10s
Overall Rank = 307-F/3725-F
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 63/589
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:45 and woke up the family. They were all cursing me for convincing them to sign up and go run/walk early in the morning. Had a banana, got dressed and left for Balboa Park.
Event warmup:

Walked to the start line. Did some of my running drills to try to warm up.
Run
  • 28m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was for fun but I was also looking for a big PR since my last 5k in 2007 (before I got into tri's) took me 37 minutes. Wanted to go sub 28 minutes but missed it by a little bit. A Turkey Trot isn't the best place to try to PR because the first mile was a lot of winding around walkers and looking for room to run. First and third miles were run at a sub 9 minute mile pace but the middle mile had the hills which brought my average up.
What would you do differently?:

Nada, it was a fun morning.
Post race
Warm down:

Got water and found my brother and cousin who finished ahead of me. Waited for my husband, parents and aunt and uncle to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Marathon training (I'm not really trained to run fast right now) and the crowds.

Event comments:

This was an excellent race. Very organized with lots of volunteers. They had a great food spread at the end along with a beer garden and were selling pies for people to take home for Thanksgiving. Me, my husband, brother and cousin all ran the race while my parents and aunt and uncle walked with my parent's dog. We all had a great time, and I think we'll do the race again next year!

Last updated: 2010-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:10 | 03.11 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/589
Overall: 307/3725-F
Performance: Good
Course: Winding course through Balboa Park. Some hills in the second mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-25 11:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: Father Joe's Thanksgiving Day 5k Run/Walk
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Father Joe's Thanksgiving Day 5k Run/Walk Rss Feed