Ironman North America
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 52m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pretty laid back. No rush for parking. Just tried to stay warm. Picked at a plain bagle with a little peanut butter and a coffee. On site I drank about 20 oz IM Powerade.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 13m 55s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nothing major. This went very well. I had hoped to be around 1:15 but would have been satisfied all the way to 1:25 so all in all I came out of the water about 10 minutes ahead of my goal...
Transition 1
  • 06m 51s
Comments:

I know that rushing here and T-2 can be a big mistake so I don't rush. I took the time to pee (a lot) and not forget anything.
Bike
  • 6h 19m 15s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish I could get the peeing on the bike thing down. I had to stop 3x on the bike to pee. I am sure I lost about 5-10 minutes as a result.
Transition 2
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

Again, slow and steady, didn't forget anything... Just what I hoped to do.
Took time to take another serious pee.
What would you do differently?:

Shave a minute or so...
Run
  • 5h 07m 10s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Just like last year at IM CdA I was feeling good the first few miles. Things were going well. Then the stomach issues started. I really don't know what causes this however I think it might be that I use the endurolyte capsules when I race. When I train at home I use the powder in my bottles. I am gonna try and fix this next time. In any case, from mile 8 till 13 or so I was in varying degrees of stomach distress. As a result I ate nothing. I felt much better by about 13 and took in some chicken broth. I felt much better. From there on I only took in broth and hammer gels and suddenly I felt great. I finished the marathon running very comfortable 10-11 minute miles. I wish I had figured this out after last year. Who knows what might have happened...
What would you do differently?:

No endurolytes.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach issues and wind.

Event comments:

I plan on this being my last IM for a while. I have a lot going on next year and don't know how the calendar will play out so I wont commit. Perhaps I'll come back to IM AZ for a re-match... Perhaps I'll even get to race in an IM in decent weather. This is 3 in a row with crappy weather!

Now it's time to get my mountainbike out and have some fun. I am also gonna start P90X in January and try and get back some muscle tone which has been canibalized by all of the IM stuff....

Thank you to all of the volunteers and spectators who helped make this all a great day.

Last updated: 2009-11-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:55 | 4224 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 134/
Overall: 1062/
Performance: Good
First half seemed to go very fast. Start was the most physical of all 4 IM's I've done. After the turn aaround heading back to the Mill Ave. bridge seemed to take friggin forever! I was pleasently surprised with the result. I am not a swimmer, I hate swimming and I kind of accept the results but this was pretty good.
Suit: Full
Course: Out and back rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:19:15 | 112 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 170/
Overall: 904/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: I train on routes that frequently have 8-10,000 feet of climbing over about 100 miles so this course was a breeze. Unfortunately the wind was non stop and serious throughout. The combination of the wind, cold, rain and even hail made the course a reel test of wills by the end. I had been expecting to finish the bike by 5:45-6:00 hours. I knew that my goals were not gonna happen by the time I got about 1/2 way through the second loop. I still knew that this was not going to make or break a new PR so I was careful not to go nuts and blow up my legs. I was sucsessful at this. I felt really strong coming off the bike...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:07:10 | 26.2 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 191/
Overall: 1064/
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat, no shade, winding around Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-26 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2010-11-29 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3226490

User image

Regular
Fogelsville , Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
just got to reading this.  what do you feel you improved on most and what do you think facilitated that?
2010-11-30 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3229473

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Tee2078 - 2010-11-29 6:58 PM just got to reading this.  what do you feel you improved on most and what do you think facilitated that?

I feel like my swim was my best, believe it or not. I think it is related to going to my local outdoor pool over the summer and swimming more and faster with a masters group that was faster than me. I worked hard to improve and I think it helped.

I was really dissapointed with my bike. You know where we ride, It is much more difficult and I expected it to be much faster. I blame about 50% on the wind but I think I just didn't pace it well enough. I was worried about blowing up on the run. Unfortunately that plan went out the window when I got stomach issues about 1/3 of the way into the run.

All in all the plan might have worked better had the stomach not acted up. I think I could have easly taken out another 30+ minutes had it gone better.
2010-12-04 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Great job Steve! Keep up the good work.
2010-12-05 8:08 PM

User image

Master
CT

Hey Steve, it WAS a tough day. I too have struggled with getting good IM day. I did LP in 08! I think you were there too . That was epic!

The wind out on the bike course made AZ super tough this year, but we got through it so we should be proud!

I've done 3 in a row now too and may take a break for 2011 — from IM that is...

Congrats on getting 3 done in a very respectable time!

Hey, you weren't the guy who ran by me around mile 23 and said we could still finish under 13 is we kept up the pace were you? If it was you... you totally made my race!

2010-12-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3237609

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
stumfossil - 2010-12-05 9:08 PM

Hey Steve, it WAS a tough day. I too have struggled with getting good IM day. I did LP in 08! I think you were there too . That was epic!

The wind out on the bike course made AZ super tough this year, but we got through it so we should be proud!

I've done 3 in a row now too and may take a break for 2011 — from IM that is...

Congrats on getting 3 done in a very respectable time!

Hey, you weren't the guy who ran by me around mile 23 and said we could still finish under 13 is we kept up the pace were you? If it was you... you totally made my race!

That may well have been me because once things started coming together again I kept focusing on sub 13 and at least making a PR. If it was me I am glad it helped!

2010-12-07 12:26 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
COngrats on another finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed