United States
15F / -9C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 19s
Overall Rank = 72/869
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 4/87
Pre-race routine:

almost blewoff the run as when I woke up it was 9 degrees. had some coffee and a PBJ and figured I was registered and dressed in a few layers and left for HR.
Event warmup:

Picked up my packet. Really felt bad for the volunteers as it was very cold. There was coffee so I had another cup and stood around freezing my ass off! Went back to the car a put on my number and went for a warm-up run. I had plenty of time so I ran the entire course.
Run
  • 22m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

seems when the gun went off I wasn't really ready but went with the crowd. I was pretty close to the front so getting around people was not an issue. I didn't look at any of my splits during the race. I had 2-long sleeve shirts on and my watch was covered by them. My Garmin did capture my splits though. Mile 1 - 7:11, Mile 2 - 7:24, Mile 3 - 6:57. While my 2nd mile was my slowest the effort was still there. I think there is close to 100 feet elevation gain from mile 1 to 2. The final mile I was hurting but had some fun with it. I was only passed by a couple guys and one of them I repassed. Seemed I was passing a lot of people as the 2nd mile can really take it out of you.
What would you do differently?:

Run sub-7s! I was really hoping to run sub 7s at this race but I fell short. Not sure, maybe I should have gone out a little harder. Overall though I think this was a solid effort for me and I'm pretty happy with my race.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down. While my body temp was hot it was still around 15-degrees. I had a banana and bagel. Then slammed 2 icy beers. Talked to a few people but didn't hang around long. It was cold and we had a Thanksgiving dinner to prepare.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age!
I turned 50 last week. I really hope at 50 i can go under 7mm again. This was my first stand-alone 5K since I did this race in 2008. I think if I am going to break 7mm need to get a few 5ks in this year. There are some flat course I'm pretty certain I could go under 7s. I hope I can do that on this one next year!

Event comments:

This was another Racing Underground event. They always do a great job...no complaints at all! Really appreciate all the volunteers at the race. it was freezing!!

Last updated: 2010-11-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:19 | 03.1 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/87
Overall: 72/869
Performance: Good
avg HR 149 max HR - 156
Course: This course is hilly. Starts out flat but quickly starts a gradual uphill and continues for about 1.7 miles. Then the course flattens out and downhill section for the remainder of the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-26 11:04 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K

2010-11-26 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3226588

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K
Dude....it was f'n cold out.  I bet if it were a bit warmer you would have met your goal of sub 7's
Nice work on getting 4th in your AG!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K Rss Feed