United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 56s
Overall Rank = 32/1359
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/63
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and dropped off Monica and Heather at airport before heading to race site, stopping at Starbucks on the way. Parked very close to the start. It was 44°, and I had already picked up bib / t-shirt at RoadRunner Sports on Tues, so I just stayed in the truck and drank coffee, wondering why in the world I had signed up for the race. Banana, Clif Bar and Balance Bar. ~600 kcal.
Event warmup:

Didn't bring my Garmin, so I just jogged around and used the facilities. It hurt. You know it's a bad sign when you're stiff and sore BEFORE the race.
Run
  • 39m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off fine - running with chase group of about 10 runners, with 2 off the front. At Market and Harbor we had to stop as two trains were pulling out of the station. The two leaders and a couple of guys from our group sneaked through, but everyone else had to wait about 20-30 seconds as the trains passed. We had to stop again after turning right on Broadway as one of the trains still hadn't cleared that intersection. I pretty much lost all motivation. I kind of jogged for a while and a lot of people got away. I was hurting anyway and felt like giving up, but then I heard the 2-mile split (12:35) and I thought there was still a chance of running sub-40, so that picked me up a bit. Ran through the first lap in 19:47. Just 20 more minutes of pain. I could do that. I didn't really feel like I was racing. Just trying to hang on. I had no idea how fast (or slow?) I was running, but a lot of people passed me in that last loop. In total, I fell from about 7th to 32nd after the train stops. A good lesson in mental toughness. I probably went out too fast, too, as I was almost glad we had a reason to stop. At least it helped answer the question of whether or not I should race the Turkey Tri this weekend. I am so done. Need a break and time to just train for Carlsbad.
What would you do differently?:

Remember my Garmin. Run faster (or slower) to miss the train. Not run 5 miles the day before. Or do a boot camp workout for the first time 2 days before. Or not race so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Stop running.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still pretty sore from boot camp workout on Tuesday. Other than that, I've still been struggling to get back into training since Clearwater.

Event comments:

It was ok. The awards ceremony was painful. Results weren't the most accurate and the emcee was kind of hung out to dry. They can't control the trolley schedule, but it was definitely a drag to have to stop (twice!) for the trains.

Last updated: 2010-11-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:56 | 06.2 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/63
Overall: 36/1359
Performance: Below average
Forgot Garmin.
Course: Two loops, downtown SD. Pretty flat. Slight downhill going out, slight uphill coming back. Oh yeah, and past trolley crossings.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No