Ironman
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 35m 50s
Overall Rank = 914/2310
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 152/399
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 and ate an english muffin and some cereal. Drank green tea and sports drink. I also took a hot shower and tended to "other" bathroom issues. Left for the race site at 520.
Event warmup:

Stepped down the concrete embankment and was able to walk on a flat section of it for a bit. I jumped in the water underneath the bridges. As cold as I expected. I did not do the pratice swim but the ocean swim I did last month was in the same temp. water. I swam to start line about 5- deep.
Swim
  • 1h 14m 52s
  • 4374 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The cannon went off and the fight was on. Breathing was very difficult the 1st 5 minutes but I calmed down and got going. It really did not clear up until the turn around. Only had to stare at the sun for the a few minutes. Things opened up after the turn and I felt very comfortable. The cold water did not have a negative effect on me. Had a togh time getting out up the exit stairs. Very happy with time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 10m 45s
Comments:

This took a little longer than I wanted but it was important to get dry. Change tents were very dark as well.

Not much really.
Bike
  • 6h 32m 25s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

1st loop- Heading out was great. Pee break at the turnaound and then ater the wind. I had a feeling any time goals were out of the mix. The downhill after the turnaround was crowded so that was dicey.

2nd loop- Time was touch slower than the 1st lap and the wind seemed to get worse. Legs were starting to tire. Got rained on at the turnaround but I was ok with it. I've been dumped on worse during training.

3rd loop- Ouch. Going out was ok but the wind was brutal. I got hit by a gust that slowed me down to 9 mph. I also got caught in no man's land behind someone where I could not pass or get far enough back so I go sin bineed for 4 min. I was hoping there was a tent so I could get some rest but I had to wait until the end. It was almost a good thing since my legs were shot and my T2 would have been longer.

Buy a giant wind shield.
Transition 2
  • 07m 1s
Comments:

Happy with ths but I did not have to rest due to the penalty on the bike course. The change was quick and I was out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 30m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept myself at a good pace without going to fast. My legs paid the price in the bike so I walked the aid stations and some on the inclines. 12-20 was slow but once I got up the hill at Papago Park with 5K to go I started to get the rush. I was very happy the my stomach held up because it failed me during my other 2 IMs. I passed 263 people so that was nice. Last mile was one of the fastest and I was able to finish strong and all alone so I got the full Mike Riley treatment.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Even though I felt OK I went to medical to get an IV. Felt even better after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WIND!!!

Event comments:

I enjoyed the course very much. Too bad the worst day of the trip was race day.

Last updated: 2009-11-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:52 | 4374 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 137/399
Overall: 884/2310
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman (Full)
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:32:25 | 112 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 211/399
Overall: 1177/2310
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loops going east then northeast out then southwest/west back. Winds were SW at 20+ min. with gusts up to 40.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal