Overall Rank = 1415/2700
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 85/150
Swim
  • 1h 32m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Put goggles over swim cap. Maybe start a little farther back.
Transition 1
  • 15m 36s
Comments:

Couldn’t feel my hands or feet. A volunteer sat me down and tried to help but I was shaking so much he had to come back to me once I warmed up a bit. I couldn’t get my top on so next race I’m going to try a one piece with a fleece pad. The fabric rolled up on my wet skin and I didn’t have enough shoulder flexibility to get it sorted. I may have tried to use the p/potty but not sure.

Try wearing a one piece suit.
Bike
  • 6h 47m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I expected to ride around a 6:15 or less but it was not to be. I started out conservatively just drinking a little water and no Infinite before 30 minutes. My stomach felt queasy but I was determined to push on. We had driven the course the day before so I knew it was an uphill going out so I held back just trying to get my stomach feeling better so when the downhill part started I had to push harder to maintain any speed. On the second lap I bonked badly, H/R below 100 and power around 95w. I knew something was wrong but couldn’t wake up. I was still cold and yawning as if I was going to fall asleep. I stopped at around the 40 mile point and used the p/potty. I stretched but didn’t eat any gels due to fearing what my gut would do. I did have a couple of good gulps of Infinite and slowly by the next lap I was able to get all 3 gels down and started to push again. I think I stopped a few more times to potty and stretch as my lower back and hips were sore. The wind was the most I’ve ever experienced. There may have been some hail but I couldn’t tell for sure. I was cold and was wearing arm warmers, compression socks and my helmet liner.

Start the nutrition sooner and go with a gel per hour.
Transition 2
  • 07m 29s
Comments:

So glad to be off the bike! Didn’t camp out and just did a total change of clothing, took 2 Tylenol as Jen says this helps and headed out in good but cautious spirits.

Maybe not change all the clothing.
Run
  • 5h 00m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Held 9:50 something splits until just before mile 14 then the right knee collapsed. (again) I had been cruising the aid stations, walking/stretching and still running under 10 min splits. Now I moved into more aggressive stretching and run/walking while maintaining around a 13.22 pace but as I went on it got to the point where I couldn’t put any weight on it while running. I finished fine without any fatigue and thought I had actually gone faster then ever but my watch was set to auto pause so it was about the same as IMKY. Once my watch returns from Tri bike transport I’ll have a look to see if I ran more than last year or if the knee failed around the same point.

More strength training next year and more races.
Post race
Event comments:

Bill’s 2010 IMAZ Race Report
NOV 21 2010
Pre Race:
Woke at 0200 and drank Ensure for about 250 calories, slept better than usual. This week was very stress free, maybe we’re getting better at these races. We did the only before race swim the day before and decided not to wear our new booties as the water wasn’t that cold. Around 0400 I had another Ensure and felt relaxed and ready to race. No rain at this point and wasn’t too cold while wearing the wetsuit.
Swim: 1:32:56 – 2:26/100m
Water temp was 61 deg. Got into the water and stayed near Jen while moving up closer to the front. (Maybe too close). At the start I moved with the pack but when we passed under the first bridge it forced everyone to swim together and it turned into water rugby. I lost my rhythm and had to regroup while swimming breast stroke and getting my goggles back on. (they leaked for the rest of the race but it didn’t really bother me much). The turnaround went fine but on the way back the wind had picked up and the waves made sighting/breathing difficult. I’ve developed this technique where I just roll to the side for air but in waves I need to work on lifting my head more so I don’t swallow so much water. I felt the beginnings of lower G/I distress about when 75% thru the course. No idea how I placed at the time but I was always with other people so that felt better. I was very cold by the end and had trouble getting out of the water afterwards. By far my best effort yet! (I think my p/r had been 1:47:00)
T1: 15:35
Couldn’t feel my hands or feet. A volunteer sat me down and tried to help but I was shaking so much he had to come back to me once I warmed up a bit. I couldn’t get my top on so next race I’m going to try a one piece with a fleece pad. The fabric rolled up on my wet skin and I didn’t have enough shoulder flexibility to get it sorted. I may have tried to use the p/potty but not sure.
Bike: 6:47:09 - 16.5mph
I expected to ride around a 6:15 or less but it was not to be. I started out conservatively just drinking a little water and no Infinite before 30 minutes. My stomach felt queasy but I was determined to push on. We had driven the course the day before so I knew it was an uphill going out so I held back just trying to get my stomach feeling better so when the downhill part started I had to push harder to maintain any speed. On the second lap I bonked badly, H/R below 100 and power around 95w. I knew something was wrong but couldn’t wake up. I was still cold and yawning as if I was going to fall asleep. I stopped at around the 40 mile point and used the p/potty. I stretched but didn’t eat any gels due to fearing what my gut would do. I did have a couple of good gulps of Infinite and slowly by the next lap I was able to get all 3 gels down and started to push again. I think I stopped a few more times to potty and stretch as my lower back and hips were sore. The wind was the most I’ve ever experienced. There may have been some hail but I couldn’t tell for sure. I was cold and was wearing arm warmers, compression socks and my helmet liner.
T2: 7:29
So glad to be off the bike! Didn’t camp out and just did a total change of clothing, took 2 Tylenol as Jen says this helps and headed out in good but cautious spirits.
Run: 5:00:09 11:27/mile
Held 9:50 something splits until just before mile 14 then the right knee collapsed. (again) I had been cruising the aid stations, walking/stretching and still running under 10 min splits. Now I moved into more aggressive stretching and run/walking while maintaining around a 13.22 pace but as I went on it got to the point where I couldn’t put any weight on it while running. I finished fine without any fatigue and thought I had actually gone faster then ever but my watch was set to auto pause so it was about the same as IMKY. Once my watch returns from Tri bike transport I’ll have a look to see if I ran more than last year or if the knee failed around the same point.
Summary: It was a very good race as I had under 230 hours training this year. Next year I hope to get over 400 hours in (work schedules permitting) and P/R the swim again in Canada!

Last updated: 2010-11-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:56 | 4224 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 120/150
Overall: 1878/2700
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca 3.8 & hood
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good