Overall Rank = 888/2300
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 35/133
Swim
  • 1h 14m 28s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got kicked in the face in the first 100, and I was swimming head up the first 100 as well. Ended up with a black lip that I didn't know about until the end of the race. Got a few more hits to the head, but in general this swim was a lot better than CdA, was able to find open water for the most part.

I started cramping up just a little less than a mile into it. First calves were cramping, then calves, hamstrings and quads. I was getting cold quickly, and at the turn around swam the fine line of swimming hard, but not so hard that I would cramp. Would have to deal with cramps the 2nd half and try to shake them out while swimming. Legs were like lead weight when the cramped, they just dropped like an anchor when they cramped up.

I was really happy with my swim time (my time is not the chip time, I lapped it right when I got to the stairs.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I started on the right toward the front. Was really nervous about being up front and thought I was going to get trampled, but I didn't get swum over.
Transition 1
  • 14m 12s
Comments:

I need to work on transitions! I could have moved up a few places if my transitions were better.

I was freezing throughout the transition and couldn't get my bike stuff on I was shaking so bad. Volunteers didn't help me, too many people in the tent at one time.

I had those hand warmers that were going to be put in my bike shoes so I could put warm shoes/socks and armwarmers on, and I forgot to open the package in the morning. I tried to get it open so I could shove the hand warmers in my tri suit to help me warm up during the bike, but I was too cold and couldn't get the package open, so I ditched it and finally got out of there and onto the bike.
Bike
  • 6h 18m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow that was windy. I heard 20-25 mph winds out there. Some tailwind on the uphill, some crosswinds both ways and head and cross winds on the downhill.

I forgot to look at my lap times. lap 1 I was holding back on the uphill and kept it between 18-20mph. On the way back I thought it'd be faster until I realized we were riding into the wind. At times I was working really hard for the 12mph I was going! I can't remember a windier ride I've ever done before.

It rained at times, and hailed on us, but I never got soaking wet on the bike, rain, then it would stop.

I had 6 scoops on Infinit in the Speedfil for each half of the bike. I think I will change it to 8 scoops next time. Too much liquid and even though I was drinking Infinit every 10 minutes, I didn't get 1 full bottle into me by the end of the course.

Other then that, I was happy with the bike. Stopped once to pee, stopped once for special needs.
Transition 2
  • 06m 20s
Comments:

This was much better then CdA. I put too many clothes on to begin with, luckily I was smart enough to realize I didn't need arm warmers. I had my tri top, running tshirt, and a vest on to begin with.

I would not run with the vest next time, it was too hot.
Run
  • 4h 38m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

First 5 miles was good, then I was starving and had a feast out there. I'm overall happy with my run time, but I know I could've done better. But, if I didn't get the food in me, I would've done worse because I would've bonked!

First I started running through aid stations and slowing down to drink, then after about 6 miles I'd stop to drink it, then continue running. Then after 13 miles I was stopping and chowing and not caring about time.

I didn't like the Ironman drink, and wasn't getting enough calories. I ended up stopping at many aid stations and chowing, like handfuls of chips and pretzles washing it down with soup and coke. I ate everything they offered!

I stopped too many times, stopped for food, stopped to pee, stopped to fix my sock, stopped for special needs.

Post race

Last updated: 2010-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:28 | 4224 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/133
Overall: 897/2300
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: 1 lap of Tempe Town Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 14:12
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:18:27 | 112 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/133
Overall: 1018/2300
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:38:26 | 26.2 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/133
Overall: 890/2300
Performance:
Miles: 1. 9:59 (stopped because I thought my sock was bunched up) 2. 8:39 3. 8:43 4. 8:53 5. 9:17 6. 9:54 7. 9:36 8. 9:31 9. 9:54 10. 10:03 11. 9:53 12. 11:40 13. 11:19 14. 10:19 15. 10:19 16. 11:13 17. 10:55 18. 12:41 19. 11:59 20. 10:22 21. 10:37 22. 10:45 23. 14:39 24. 10:20 25. 10:37 26. 10:33
Course: concrete and some dirt areas. 3 laps, I don't like 3 laps at all!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?