General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoniexville, Pennsylvania
United States
Phoniexville Jaycees
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 23s
Overall Rank = 18/260
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

I love running races all you have to do is show up and run. Slept in till 7:45 then got dressed and drove to the race since I still had to regester. They moved the race accross town so I had to find Waterwork park and Fanklin Commons. Started off good saw some signs then it was gone. After backtracking I got a sniff of the course again and then again missed the next turn, backtracked and finally found the right road and the race site. Turnout was pretty good and day of regestraints didn't get a T-shirt. Moved my car into the Franklin Commons lot, tied my key on my shoe and went for a warm up.
Event warmup:

It was cold with a nice wind, so I did a lap around the parking lot and then headed towards the start. Ran the finish loop backwards and got to the front of the Commons when I saw everyone was lining up, so I cut across the football field and got muddy. Got into the middle of the pack where there was space and then they called the 5K up to the real startingline by estimated time. So I got about 5-6 rows from the front and got ready to go.
Run
  • 22m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off nice and conservatively and let the crowd break the wind. Thanks to the late self seeding call and the hills, thing sorted themsleves out pretty quickly and I started moving forward by the first set of uphills. I got into a nice rhythm and passed 15-20 people on the uphill and and downhill to the first mile. Ran the down hills very well today as I seemed to make up ground on each one. About a mile and a half in I was side my side with a dude who periodically would let out a loud moan/groan, but he decided to surge and not let me pass. So I dropped back a bit and let the long hill taking us to the end of the second mile do its damage but, he held in there. The hills did slow me down as well especially the final 2 which I ran the other direction this morning. I caught the groaner just as a guy in a Philly Marathon shirt caught me, and dusted me off on the last hill. Had two of the fast woman catch me on that loop as well and then we turned for home and the groaner was sprinting to the finish. Didn't figure he was in my AG so I let him go. Did feel to great about the race but it wasn't bad given the course and conditions (cold and windy)
What would you do differently?:

Get a bit more pumped up pre race and go hard early and hang on. This course made it hard to gain ground on anyone who wasn't dying.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and then decided to jog another loop. A nice jog helped my loosen up and see the wind and hills again. 3.1 mile cooldown. I caught the last five walkers, but they had broken down the clock. Jogged past the finish where the volenteer tried to stop me to get my tag again. Ran back to the Commons for the post race food and awards. Saw Neil from work and it tuens out his son finished 2nd O/A and another member of his group finished 5th. Really was not expecting to hear the Race Director announce my name when the 40-49 AG came along, much less say I was first place. Very cool and a total shock. As of tonight, I still don't know how I placed overall, but I won my 40-49 AG debut. Woo Hoo!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strategy. A 5k is just to short to let my stengths come into play. I need to run more agressively at the start and not give away ground at the start, because there isn't enough time to reel everyone back in over 3.1 miles. 10K, Half Marathon, yes but 5K no. Not a bad race however.

Event comments:

Good job with the race. Personally, I liked the downtown course better as this year's was less scenic and was through a more industrial area. Good course much more challenging, but less scenic and historic feeling. Still a good event.

Last updated: 2010-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:23 | 03.11 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 18/260
Performance: Average
Course: They moved the course from downtown Phoniexville last year, to the other side of town to a lower traffic area. The course was alot tougher as it was rolling hills through out and most of the second half was uphill. The wind was in our face at the start but was at our back during the tough part until we turned for home right at the end. Nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-28 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K

2010-11-29 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3228296

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K
For anyone who did the race they finally posted the results:

http://phoenixvillejaycees.org/5k/2010/20105KRESLT.TXT

2010-11-29 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3228296

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: RE: Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K
Nice run.  7:12 is awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K Rss Feed