General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running- Not much "fun"... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-29 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3228647

Subject: RE: Running- Not much "fun"...
Thanks guys.. I totally get the idea,, that life at times is not fun but we have to face it.  As many of you said I dont have to run but I like what it does for me.  I want to like it.  This is my issue.  There are things that I dont want to like in life and that is easy not to like...  But when you like the benefits of something but dont like the activity it can be a challange.

I love to bike, love to lift weights (how many on this board can say this?) swimming is OK... Love martial arts, love even more to teach martial arts (which I also do)...  I also like Tri's...

I am certain if I ran more the other things that I enjoy in my life (see above) would also be much better...  There is no better way to burn calories and get fit faster and easier than running.  You can do it anytime with almost no equiptment...  I travel for business so this can be an issue...

2010-11-29 4:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-11-29 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3229340

Champion
i raced for 4 years before i started liking running.

Two things did it for me.

trails helped a lot (even when i "hated" running trials were always fun,

but the single biggest thing that did it (and helped me get faster) was running more often.

I took my total weekly volume and rearanged it. I was at the time running 20 ish miles a week on 3 or so runs. I moved that around, and started running 2-4 miles a day. pretty ave day was 20 min or so. i did that 4 days a week, then 5, then 6. just ran 20min a day, 6x a week for a few weeks, then slowly added some.

the first few weeks sucked. I have to go run again today!?!?! But i slowly got in the habit of 20 min before dinner i'd throw on the shoes, go for a quick run, and come home. First it became tolerable, then it became habit. It just stayed as habit for a while, and then one day i thought to myself, hey, this is sorta fun.

Like with anything you dont like, it can take a bit of work. Making the routes fun, through the woods or along rivers, jumped over benches (or whatever you find fun) to mix it up, doing stair workouts with a local group (PS running clubs help break this up a lot and are a great way to make a run go by fast), anything that mixes it up and makes it not feel like a drag will help.

Get in the habit of doing it often, even if only 10-20 min. As you get used to running daily it wont feel as much like work and your body will also recover faster and not be beat up, so you'll feel fresher and ready to go.
2010-11-29 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3229340

New Haven, CT
Thaitri - 2010-11-29 4:51 PM Thanks guys.. I totally get the idea,, that life at times is not fun but we have to face it.  As many of you said I dont have to run but I like what it does for me.  I want to like it.  This is my issue.  There are things that I dont want to like in life and that is easy not to like...  But when you like the benefits of something but dont like the activity it can be a challange.

I love to bike, love to lift weights (how many on this board can say this?) swimming is OK... Love martial arts, love even more to teach martial arts (which I also do)...  I also like Tri's...

I am certain if I ran more the other things that I enjoy in my life (see above) would also be much better...  There is no better way to burn calories and get fit faster and easier than running.  You can do it anytime with almost no equiptment...  I travel for business so this can be an issue...

do what you love as much as possible... however, since running is convenient plug away. 
2010-11-29 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3228668

Elite
Miami
Scout7 - 2010-11-29 9:36 AM What don't you enjoy about it? First suggestion: Stop looking at it as something you "have to do" for other things. Second suggestion: No watch, no HRM, none of that. Just go out and run around the neighborhood. No plan, no timing, no measuring distances or efforts (other than to run at a comfortable level). Look at the scenery, be alone with your thoughts, find tranquility.

+1
the first season i began enjoying running is by stopping to look at my watch and my hr....
2010-11-30 12:02 PM

Lafayette, CO
Opposite of Scout, I am motivated by seeing how far I've gone.  I love seeing that I've run X miles this month and Y miles this year.  Often times knowing that I'm Z miles from a record month motivates me to keep going that day.  Although, funny story, when I logged my highest mileage month so far (August) I actually went a bit further than I had to.  Came home, logged the miles and found out that it put me at 499.99 miles for the year.  Serves me right!  If only I'd gone .01 further...

I used to hate running.  I thought I'd never be a runner.  I thought I'd never run further than a 10k.  This was as recent as Summer of 2009.  And then I decided that had to change.  I bought a Garmin, joined a running group and set my mind on enjoying my runs.  I use varied routes.  Both daylight and darkness runs.  Group runs and alone.  With my iPod and without.  On that iPod I'll listen to music or NPR.  For me the key is mixing it up.  Changing things.  I'm already planning where to go for a 6 miler on Sunday thinking about where I haven't run for awhile.  Above all, I never say I need to/have to go for a run unless it's in reference to needing to for my mental sanity because I enjoy it.  I never, ever need to/have to because I should.  While my logs of late don't show many miles (life just keeps getting in the way) I really do enjoy the vast  majority of those miles.   Now, that isn't to say that they don't hurt sometimes.  I've been battling issues with my peroneal tendons and they don't like the cold so it's been worse the last month or so.  But I know that I'll break through this time and honestly, overall it still gives me this feeling of power to know that I chose this sport and I get to enjoy it.  As cliche as it is, the power of positive thinking is huge. 

2010-11-30 12:09 PM

Veteran
I like to change it up and run at night.  This time of year it's nice to see everyones Christmas lights up and I take different routes to enjoy all those throughout my neighbor.  It takes my mind off my run and I just enjoy being out in the dark, all alone enjoying the run. 

Like others said, if it feels like work, you're working too hard.  There is that fine line of getting better though. 

Hopefully you can find your place with running and come to enjoy it. 
2010-11-30 8:32 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Feel like I gotta reply to this one--I've been running for thirty years, never quit, still love it. Honestly, I think a lot of people on this site tend to overthink running. Too much analysis of time, speed, heart rate, distance, etc. etc.  I would have burned out long ago if I analyzed every workout like that. Most of what I do would have to be described as effort-based. I either know the distance or the time, usually not both, unless it's a race. I just don't care that much anymore---I run to keep healthy and for enjoyment. If I want to be timed, I enter a race. At 41, I'm not going to break any world records!

Since you're clearly in it for the health benefits, convenience, and/or because you like tris, find ways to make it fun. Less analysis, more play.  Find routes you like to run, maybe because they let you see nature, or give you a chance to check out people's gardens, or because they end at your favorite coffee shop.  Find people you like to run with, or cherish the peace and quiet, if your day (like mine) is full of people.  Find music, or cherish the silence and the sound of your breathing. Look for deer, birds, or other critters.  Run with a dog.  Pretend you're winning the Olympics.  For speedwork, try "fartlek" instead of track repeats. Try running at night.  For me sometimes it really matters if I have a snack before an after-work run, or a cup of coffee before an AM one--experiment.  As for books, when I was a kid, my dad had some books by George Sheehan. If you can find them, there are some great inspirational essays about his own transformation into an athlete and those of others--very cool stuff about ordinary people finding their "inner runner".  Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running- Not much "fun"... Rss Feed  

of 2