Ironman North America
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 39m 18s
Overall Rank = 935/2700
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 179/392
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Tempe Thursday evening to get organized with the checking-in, swim practise, bike pick-up, drive the course, pick up rental car, equipment drop off etc etc.. I had been feeling under the weather the previous week since my business trip to Kuala Lumpur and really only felt 'normal' race morning after 8 hrs sleep.
Event warmup:

Felt peaceful about the entire thing. Woke on race morning at 4.30am and had a bagel with PB in my room and a power bar. Got to transition a little before 6am and got air in the tires, body marked, suited up and ready to go. One last goodbye and good luck to my friend Mike and we jumped in the water.
Swim
  • 1h 15m 10s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The Pros had already headed off when I entered the water so I didn't have much time to get to the start. I positioned myself right in the middle about 10 yds behind the front. After Coldplay got everyone hyped up the gun went off and it was time to begin my first Ironman. There was the expected contact in the first 200yds and then it was more sporadic. All went well - I could see the ASU stadium to my right then I could see the bridge ahead. I veered a little too far to the right at the bridge and lost a little time getting back. Took the turn buoys wide and had no problems. The return leg went well apart from a little cramping due to the cold, also about 500 yds from the finish I took a heavy blow to the face which cut my cheek around my goggle rim. Kept going and made it to the steps. Fought the cramps going up the stairs but then they eased once I was trotting over to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 10m 24s
Comments:

Once I got my bag I stuck my head in the change tent and it was mobbed, so I found some space on the grass and set about drying my feet and taking the time to get socks on. Clearly I didn't rush the process but I was surprised that I was in T1 over 10 min..

Plan to move quicker
Bike
  • 6h 12m 31s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Isn't it a great feeling getting on the bike after the swim? The wind got progressively worse with each lap, but judging by my even splits my legs got progressively stronger (just like my long training rides). The wind blew us up the hill and gravity brought us down. I enjoyed passing the large billboard of 'Aslan' - those of you who know your CS lewis will know why!

My nutrition was a powergel every 25 min and 50/50 Ironman perform and water 1 bottle an hour. It seemed to work fine although I stopped to pee twice. I count myself fortunate not to have got caught in a wreak - two guys went down right infront of me and I managed to squeeze between them, then a guy went down on a slick road after the rain in front of me on the 90 deg right hander coming off beeline hwy. The final stretch from the beeline into Tempe was the hardest as the wind was gusting horribly. Still, I had the yells of my family and friends to look forward to .... and I saw them as I came into the athletes village and into T2. A 6:12 split was very fair under the conditions, I otherwise had expected to go under 6 hrs.

Dare I say push a little harder earlier?
Transition 2
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

Bit of a blurr now - I found a seat outside and got about putting on shoes, visor... that was it.

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 57m 10s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Set out with the attitude that 'I'll run until they tell me to stop' I was particularly wanting to be in good shape at mile 18. I basically kept plodding on through the miles alternating between Ironman perform & water, coke & water, and just water. From mile 18 I just went to coke and water with a few potato chips thrown in for good measure. I power walked up the hills, walked through the aid stations, otherwise ran. I was running at mile 18, 19 ..... 25 and 26! The turn into the finish was awesome - after the darkness and relative quiet of the course all of a sudden there was light and noise.... and a finish line. With my eyes fixed on the finish I picked up my knees and seemed to float through the noise, running right by my screaming family. I did it.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some fries.

Last updated: 2009-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:10 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 151/392
Overall: 903/2700
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless with Speed Sleeves
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:12:31 | 112 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 168/392
Overall: 891/2700
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:57:10 | 26.2 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 199/392
Overall: 1137/2700
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-29 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2010-11-29 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3229235

Champion
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Nice race Phil....congrats Ironman!!  Sorry I missed getting photos of you out there.  Just so many BT-ers in the race, it got really hectic trying to pick out race numbers.

Edited by max 2010-11-29 3:23 PM
2010-11-30 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3229284

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
No worries at all... Thanks for the note.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed